New Post Advanced Search

sweet potatoes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
164 replies 12.4K views

Replies

• TicklemouseTicklemouse Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yum - just got some feta cheese out of the freezer (don't know if it defrosts well :)) and I have 5 sweet potatoes in the fridge.

Now there's an interesting lunch alternative:) Thanks.
  • i never parboil sweet potatos - they aree soft and not starchy so do not need it - that is probably why they are just going soggy.

200degrees with just a spray of oil for 40 mins should do the trick - tossing occasionally.

They make fab jacket potatoes also and mash - i use it instead of normal potato on cottage pie etc - so sweet you never need to add butter or milk.
  • I've made this recipee, it's from Anthony Warrel Thompson low gi cookbook.

Scrub sweet potatoes , then stab with a fork. Bake in oven for 30 mins, then remove. Cool for a few mins, then cut into wedge type shapes, recook in the over for another 25 - 30 mins. Eat with a dipping sauce.

delicious
    Can't resist a bargain.........
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yum - just got some feta cheese out of the freezer (don't know if it defrosts well :)) and I have 5 sweet potatoes in the fridge.

Now there's an interesting lunch alternative:) Thanks.
    Oops - pressed Thanks instead of Quote!

There are spices and a bit of chilli involved in the feta filling, but not sure exactly what.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • So am i right in thinking that sweet spuds will mash roast and chip like normal potatos ?

Also are they the same colour or are they orange (I think i may have seen them) as i may try and trick my b/f Wicked grin smiley :D

Will he taste the difference, is it a really drastic taste :confused:

Sorry for all the questions :o

Oh just one more, how expensive are they compared with normal spuds ? Thanks
  • It depends on the variety you buy. They are usually carrot coloured or slightly darker however I've had a small white variety. The texture and sweetness is more like parsnip than potatoe.
    I usually get mine when they are half price in Lidl's They were 79pkg this morning so about 1.50 a kg usually.
    I like them baked like a normal baked potatoe though they don't usually take quite as long. You can mash them or use them like carrots. Quite nice roast as you would roast potatoes.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Thanks Ted

I'll try that :D
  • All I do is give them a scrub (do not peel) then cut them into slices about half a cm thick. Spread them out over a baking tray and drizzle some olive oil over them. Add a dash of ground sea salt and bake in a hot oven - 200 - 220 degrees Gas 6 or 7 - depending how you like them for 20-25 minutes.

Gorgeous!!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • SheelSheel Forumite
    45.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh! I love sweet potatoes , I shall be trying out some of the suggestions on this thread icon14.gif

Just had to show you the sweet potato that I had on my recent holiday in Hawaii. Apparently they are trying out different crops and sweet potatoes are one of them , but they not like any sweet potatoes i've ever seen or eaten before , they are a lovely shade of purple and the consistency is not like potato at all , it's just like bread :eek:

861336520_432056.jpg
    Proud of my husband and 2 daughters who are all NHS essential key workers.

• TicklemouseTicklemouse Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are some weird and wonderful colours of veg out there if you can find them. I've had a pink cauliflower - goes purple when cooked, tastes the same but adds a splash of colout to your plate.

Carrots were originally purple I believe and over the years they have been engineered so that we get orange ones, which is what we think they should be. I believe you can get other colours of carrot too. Maybe we should start asking for the original veg as nature intended :D I'm sure Mr Tesco wouldn't deliver - unless he charged an absolute fortune for them. BTW - the pink caulis were from Morrisons and were slightly more expensive.