PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sweet potatoes

Options

Comments

• pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I like mine roasted with onions, peppers,courgettes, baby new potatoes, garlic, carrots, tomato etc just slice,half or chop put into a roasting tray and pour in some olive oil, roast until cooked.

Nice with some homemade bread to wipe up the juices.
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • sarahmelita
    sarahmelita Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I cut them up like chips, roast them on a tray with a little olive oil. They're lovely! Very good for you too, they're even in You Are What You Eat!
  • *Sparkle*_3
    *Sparkle*_3 Posts: 503 Forumite
    Options
    With those ingredients, you could do a shepards pie but instead of using normal mash use the sweet potatoe as mash! mmmm lovely sprinkle some cheese on top
    Abbey Loan £6,000
    Tesco loan £3,000
    Tesco points --- £100 worth £400 in deals for holiday! :j :T
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin)
  • Annie_Fanny
    Annie_Fanny Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    Hey everyone

I would like to share this recipe with you all as it is perfect for having as a meal straight away and then getting lots of batches out of it to freeze. This recipe is actually a Weightwatchers one which apparently serves 4 with 5 points per serving. If the Weightwatchers claim of 4 servings is true and not a typo then the servings are HUGE! I reckon you could get about 8 servings out of it and if you add extra water then even more as the soup has a thick texture.

ENJOY!

Annie

Ingredients:
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tsp minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp minced chilli
    1 and a half kg sweet potato, roughly chopped
    1 and a half litres water
    4 tsp vegetable stock
    130ml light coconut milk
    fresh coriander leaves

Instructions:
    1.Coat a saucepan with cooking spray, heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring until softened. Stir in the garlic, cumin seeds and chilli. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato and cook for approximately 5 minutes.

2.Stir in the water and stock. Bring to the boil, lower hear and simmer covered for 30 minutes.

3.Blend or process the mixture until smooth. Return to the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Stir until heated through. Serve garnished with the coriander.
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have a big bag of sweet potatoes at home so i think i'll give this a go at the weekend.
    i only have the coconut milk solid lump stuff (i'm sure it has a proper name!) - do you think that would be ok, or should i go and get a tin of the liquid milk?
    :happyhear
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh that looks wonderful - I have all the ingredients at home so will definitely try it!

I reckon the creamed coconut will be fine; just make sure you have enough water.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Annie_Fanny
    Annie_Fanny Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    i have a big bag of sweet potatoes at home so i think i'll give this a go at the weekend.
    i only have the coconut milk solid lump stuff (i'm sure it has a proper name!) - do you think that would be ok, or should i go and get a tin of the liquid milk?

I'm sure it will be fine - just water it down a bit. To be honest the tin of 'milk' I bought was more the consistancy of whipped cream!!(?)

Oh well it tasted luvverly!
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sweet potato and butternut squash soup!

Peel and chop a sweet potato, a butternut squash, one large carrot and a small red onion.

Chop and crush a clove of garlic.

Add all the above plus any chopped herbs you like, to about 1.5 - 2 ltrs vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then simmer until the veg is tender.

Blitz the lot in a blender and serve or freeze.

Yummy!
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sweet potato and butternut squash soup!

Peel and chop a sweet potato, a butternut squash, one large carrot and a small red onion.

Chop and crush a clove of garlic.

Add all the above plus any chopped herbs you like, to about 1.5 - 2 ltrs vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then simmer until the veg is tender.

Blitz the lot in a blender and serve or freeze.

Yummy!

This sounds nice! :D have recently had some sweet potato and carrot soup that was good too! have got 2 in my fridge at the moment so will have to try these ideas.I might try baking one tomorrow, never thought of that !
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mash sweet potatoe with a little olive oil, then add some gently fried garlic and chilli to taste. It is really nice with steak.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure