Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 20
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Jun 11, 6:28 PM
    • 3,343 Posts
    • 34,437 Thanks
    XSpender
    Small shop done today on the way home from work. Spent 13.94 less 5.00 nectar points so a spend of 8.94 to add to my total. Bought bread 2 lge and 1 sml white for DS, fruit, rusks, salad, ham and crisps. Will cover lunches today and Monday and a picnic we have planned for Saturday. Need to try and hide half the ham from DH

I am planning to make a victoria sandwich cake filled with buttercream and jam and choclate buns to cover the weekend/next weeks lunches.

Having checked the meal plan I do not seem to need anything until next Friday for meals. I feel a bit but I will need bread and fruit so it's not that great.
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 9th Jun 11, 7:48 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Have just had my MrS delivery and as I suspected I got none of the reduced barbecue stuff I ordered also they overcharged me on a couple of the short shelf life items that were meant to be 1 each but they charged me full price so have had to return loads of expensive barbecue stuff the put in as a replacement (how I wish they price matched!) and then call them for another refund also as usual they wanted me to take the refund as an e-voucher but this time I said no as I won't be doing an online shop for a while and would rather have the 4 in my bank (and not on my gc spend!) how sad am I!!

I havn't updated the sig as am waiting for it all to go through with the refund etc. but have worked out have spent approx 46 on food but not much meat as they didn't have that stuff so will poss need to get some chicken, but think I might be ok if I meal plan well!! dh made a chicken curry tonight which was scrummy and I have 2 portions in the freezer so that will help...

right off to scan the threads...
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
  • CupcakeLisa
    i so far have spent 116 out my 140 budget. this is the first time i have ever done a monthy meal plan and its working out great for us - i have enough lunches/dinners in my house to do till the end of the month! and i have bought enough shower gel to last us at least two/three months! i have 24 to get bread milk eggs and bananas each week! i even have enough ingreadients to make two batches of flapjacks and two batches of brownies!

i wasnt much of a cook before so had loads of basic store cupboard items missing but im now fully stocked!
    Best Wins - New York Trip, going Nov 2014: 350 House of Frazer Vouchers: 70 Handbag: Nitro Circus Live Tickets
    • missblonde
    • By missblonde 9th Jun 11, 8:07 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    missblonde
    I'm being very good, two NSDs this week and I've run out of bread and cheese. Normally I'd have gone shopping and spent at least 20 extra. Instead I've been using up things in the freezer and cupboards!
    "Born to shop, forced to work!"

• 69chick
    • By 69chick 9th Jun 11, 8:28 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    For the first time in ages this week I allowed things to run out and didn't panic and run out to replace them (which would mean more stuff on top that we didn't need) eg. spreadable butter ran out, so I just used a bit of the butter that I use for baking...and when the cereals the kids loved were not there,they managed on what was there...amazing eh
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
    • ragz
    • By ragz 9th Jun 11, 9:06 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    15 spend today in co-op on meat offers. Every time they have their Elmwood Chicken on offer I wrestle with my conscience about whether I can buy it, but I usually end up deciding it's close enough to free range that I can. Am I the only one that does this?
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • barefootlinzi
    Hi! is it too late to join in?

If not, then great!!

I am new to this board and generally an occasional forum poster. but I am trying to get a tight grip round the throat of our debts so i am hoping to be here more often!

I usually budget 200 a month for our family of 2 adults and 2 under 5's. Most times we end up going over this, so I want to get this in hand. This month we are having a big BBQ to celebrate 4 birthdays, so I am allowing 250

So far, this is our spends:

46.21 weekly tesco shop
    35.40 costco for BBQ meat
    48.78 weekly tesco shop
    12.50 junk food splurge at local corner shop

So the total so far is 142.89

looking forward to getting inspiration from all the recipes, i tend to stick to the same stuff when on a budget which gets rather boring.

Linzi
    Natwest credit card 230, will be paid off end of Feb!
    Nationwide credit card 2900, will be paid off end March thanks to PPI rebate of 153.08 and 2207.44!
    Nationwide loan 11,574 due to end Aug '15. Overpay to be debt free by July '13
  • youngmummy
    hi all, hope everyone is ok.

spend 23.00 tonight at C*op. it was mainly fruit and odds and ends that we are running out of . will update sig now good luck everyone x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim 10,000
    make 10 a day in 2015 261/4000
    emergency fund aim 100/1000
    1 a day for xmas 2015 0/365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC 0/120
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 10th Jun 11, 5:12 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    A few bits at sainsburys yesterday, taking my total for June up to 100.55/350 so far.
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
    • eveie189
    • By eveie189 10th Jun 11, 5:28 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    eveie189
    I think i may not make it this month. Out of a budget of 400 I have now only got 46 left to last 19 days. Have got loads of food in, but things just seem to keep cropping up that we seemingly forget about like the 9 bag of rabbit food that I have just had to pay for. Thinks I am going to make a list of these kinds of spends for next month and then just get them all at the start of the month. Hope everyone is not doing as badly as me.

eveie
    April GC 9th-7th may 0/320
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 10th Jun 11, 8:25 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, paid 4 to the nursery today, will update my sig now, i'm now completely out of bread,bacon,ham and eggs but i have bread in the bm now for lunch and i'm just gonna do without eggs,ham and bacon these are things we normally always have some of in but we don't really need them we have plenty of everything else, running low of fuit but have enough to last until monday
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • rosieben
    Hi! is it too late to join in? ...
    Originally posted by barefootlinzi
    welcome Linzi and good luck with your first GC

Spiggles and Hipeechiq, thinking of you both
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rachbc
    I had a day off yesterday and had good root through the cupboards for half used jars of stuff that need using up and have tweeked the menu plan and started next months using up

crystallised ginger
    tikka paste
    preserved lemons
    sundried tomatoes

that have been lurking for longer than I care to think. Next up tp tackle the mountain for dried pulses and grains I have collected
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 10th Jun 11, 10:06 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,698 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    another 20 spend last night on take out, oops! must...stop...spending!

going away this weekend with some girlfriends, but self catering and shared so hopefully not too expensive!

hope everyones having a good day and looking forward to the weekend! xxxx
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
  • Nimeth
    Done another weekly shop, didn't need much this week as the freezer is nearly full to bursting! Did my usual A!di shop, spent 33.75 and then trotted off to Morrison$ and spent 11.80 (no entire sides of fish this week, lmao!) Total spend up to 116.02. Not bad, I can get away with spending up to 56 for the next two weeks to come in within budget but I shouldn't need to spend that much.
    Dec GC; 208.79/220
    Save a life - Give Blood
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 10th Jun 11, 11:23 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    15 spend today in co-op on meat offers. Every time they have their Elmwood Chicken on offer I wrestle with my conscience about whether I can buy it, but I usually end up deciding it's close enough to free range that I can. Am I the only one that does this?
    Originally posted by ragz
    Nope lol, i do exactly the same

I`m actually quite used to buying it now and i think that its just my brain kicking in automatically with the same dilemma. I buy my FR ones from Aldi but its not too close by so MrM is the next port of call but they are really expensive there. I still think of the Elmwood as second best but a good substitute.

I got a huge FR one in Aldi a couple of days ago and it was only 4.99 and has the tractor symbol on too so i`m really pleased.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • cookiemum
    • By cookiemum 10th Jun 11, 12:26 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    cookiemum
    23.31 spend in Mr M. Pleased to say everything in trolley was on offer.

Iced buns currently in oven. Toad in the hole for tea. Enjoy friday

February Grocery Challenge 301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 10th Jun 11, 12:37 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Hey guys,

Thank you all for your ideas regarding the strawberries - i have just made some muffins with strawbs in and they are DELICIOUS!! so thank you to whoever it was that gave me that idea...

The recipe i used was as follows:

9oz sr flour
    4oz caster sugar
    2oz butter
    1 egg
    180ml milk
    handful of strawbs cut into squares

- preheat oven at gm6. place paper cases into muffin tray.
    - Mix flour sugar and butter in a bowl until combined.
    - mix milk and egg in a jug and then add to dry mixture. Mix well.
    - add strawbs and give another good stir.
    - divide mixture into muffin cases and bake for 20mins.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 10th Jun 11, 12:48 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    i think it was Long Tall Sally that asked what curry recipe i use so here goes - its from one of JO's books.

5 tbs veg oil
    2 tsp mustard seed
    1 tsp fenugreek seed
    1 tbs crushed coriander seeds
    3 chillies thinly sliced
    A few curry leaves
    Piece if ginger grated/tsp ginger spice
    3 onions chopped
    1 tsp chilli powder
    6 tomatoes chopped/tin of chopped toms
    tin of coconut milk
    salt
    2-3 chicken breasts sliced/cubed

you can add anything else really like carrots cubed, sweet potato, mushroom, peppers, etc.

SC version
    Now, what i would normally do is whack it all in the SC, but first, fry off all of the spices in a frying pan until they look browned and all of your clothes smell of curry, and then add them to the SC. if you want to brown your chicken you can but i never bother.
    Then whack everything else in, doesnt matter what order. give it a good stir and put on low setting if poss so that the meat/veg can absorb all the flavours.

Non SC version
    - Heat the frying pan and add mustard seeds. wait for them to pop then add fenugreek, chillies, curry leaves and ginger. Stir and fry for few mins.
    - Add chopped onion and cook for 5mins/until browned, then add chilli powder and turmeric.
    - Add tomatoes, cook for a few mins, then add coconut milk. Leave to simmer until the consistency of double cream, then season.
    - In a separate pan, stir fry the chicken strips and coriander seeds until lightly coloured then add to sauce and simmer for 10mins.

voila.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 10th Jun 11, 12:52 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hello

Just update my signature again, had a good week with groceries really because my C**p 'share of the profits' vouchers came. I Did a 12.54 shop for milk, salad, ham and some treats for the weekend and only had to pay 1.60. I've also been to W**trose this morning and bought an onion and a pack of 2 Llo*d Grossman naan breads for 74p, half price. So it's vegetable curry tonight using some sad looking cauliflower, aubergine and potatoes and a total spend of 2.54. I have however got to do the shopping for next week later as we are out of lots of things, I'll be back to update later tonight.

Have a good day/weekend everyone.
    PWx
    Oct GC 36.72/220.00
    Sep GC 223.58/220.00
    Aug GC 200/200
    Jun GC 192.73/220 - Jul GC 296.88/220
    Apr GC 230.40/200 - May GC 230.40/220 -
    Feb GC 200.19/200 - Mar GC 203.37/200 -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

7,744Users online

Martin's Twitter