PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy new home sammykaye, you will definitely have to have a house warming do! Get everyone to bring a paintbrush and a pot of paint and Bob's your auntie!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    My greenhouse stands on paving (as my whole garden is paved) and I appear to have an ant problem. There have always been ants where it stands but I didn't think they'd do any harm to the plants until I read that they bring in aphids because they feed on the honeydew that aphids produce. So, does anyone have any tips for getting rid of both please?

Hi Hippeechiq,

This thread might help with the ants:

Ants!!!!

And this one might help with the aphids:

aphids on strawberries

Pink
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brownsauce wrote: »
    I have just read through this whole thread. My eyes are soo tired that i fear blindness and brain so frazzled that im not sure i took in half of what was said! lol.

was just wondering if handwashing dishes uses up more water than the dishwasher?
    I heard somewhere that it does, but i seem to have to half was the dishes anyway or food just dries onto the plates and glasses?! I generally just handwash the stuff, but am staying in my mums at the mo and she puts everything in the dishwasher.

Hi brownsauce,

This thread has lots of discussion on handwashing dishes versus using a dishwasher and might help:

Dishwasher verses Washing-up

Pink
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I just read about oil of cloves in water, to send ants away. Worth trying, perhaps make a spray
    Thanks Kittie :)
    I sprinkled a little cinnamon down tonight, but if that doesn't work, I'll give the oil of cloves a try.

:think: I wonder if Essential Orange Oil would work? Or May Chang? as I already have those?

Oooh - I see you've posted me some links to look at Pink. Thank you. Now off to have a look :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    God what a hectic bloody morning!

Had a !!!! night with Holly to the point she ended up cuddled in bed with me from abotu 5 minutes into bedtime.

Think shes teething and poor mite - I had no painkillers - although I do have teething gel somewhere but be bu@@ered if I know where it is. So she has been screaming all night with the usual cold symptoms too which she seems to inevitably get when she has toothy pegs coming in - so first port of call today - perscription and some painkillers for her.

Also need to go down flat before 9am, to collect curtains and nets.

Then into town to hand keys in to council.

Then back to the house before 10am in case the gas man makes me his first point of call!

Busy bloody morning again for me!

Oh and Ben wants his little friend over after the gas man has been to play for a bit.

Shattered already!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 May 2011 at 7:11AM
    Options
    Listening to the news and more NHS cuts coming up any minute - large ones - beds gone, theatres shut:eek:.

Goes off trying to remember details of a chat at the weekend with someone who is studying at University to be an (obviously high level) herbalist - as I said I wouldnt want to go into herbs to that extent. She told me of a lower-level course that she knew of and warned me not to do that particular one - as she had realised (after some digging...as they didnt want to admit who they were) that its actually run by a particular "sorta religious" group I shan't name as they are notoriously litigious. It's a weekend course - which could have been a useful idea for me - but now I know who they are.......eek..Now struggling to remember the name of this College....duh!

I think we now need people to have at least some level of knowledge of more "traditional" type medicines - even if its only of a "kitchen sink" variety. As the NHS goes steadily further and further "down the pan" we still need to ensure we have some sort of access to healthcare if required.
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    brownsauce - for me its not just about whether the dishwasher takes up less water, the dishwasher washes at a higher temperature than me too! I think though if you have a family then the DW is more economical (and causes less arguments about who has to do it!)

Sammy_kaye - hope she is ok now! Have you tried the old fashioned remedies as well, the teething granules and the cold carrot in the fridge? Mine had a nightmare when their teeth were coming through and I swore by those. Try to take 5 minutes for yourself today :o

Ceridwen - I whole heartedly concur with that sentiment! I am already seen as a bit strange as I try to treat homeopathically as a first call, and am a qualified complimentary therapist in several disciplines. Its really interesting that even doctors now (and midwives especially) are realising that stress plays such a major part in peoples health that they are (finally) suggesting complimentary therapies alongside conventional treatment. With prescription charges climbing every year, the more people can do at home to treat minor ailments the better. I read with a wry smile that the french have come up with a peanut patch to cure peanut allergies yesterday which is strange because homeopathy treats like with like, so is it not the same thing? Or is it jsut because there is a major drug company behind it that its different??! Unfortunately due to the new laws that have come in from the EU, many herbal remedies will disappear from the shelves as they do not meet the criteria of the codex :(
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 May 2011 at 7:43AM
    Options
    Kimitatsu - hence the learning how to identify plants that I am steadily working on. I want to be able to recognise ones that mean food or medicine when I see them....:D

I grew up pretty ignorant (okay - completely ignorant then....) of this type of thing and its a shame that I wasnt interested sooner - as I could have asked my father more about it (as he grew up as a "country lad"). My urban mother is better at identifying shops and brand names of clothes.....LOL.

I think I'd be rather fitter (all that extra exercise over the years that I would have had) if I'd been more "aware" sooner. Being the sort of person I am - I wasnt prepared to go for a country walk just for the sake of HAVING a country walk. I needed a reason to do so - now I have that reason = I'm on the lookout for useful plants...

I'm the one standing to one side trying not to wince when someone is explaining about various plants to a group of people and they go off into "plant consciousness" and "being one with Nature". Errr....I tend to agree...but am still striving to keep a straight face...
  • song_of_calliope
    Options
    I'd be very interested in complementary therapy for peanut allergies as I can't have peanut butter in the house anymore due to my OH's allergy. Once I ate a snickers bar after lunch at work, in the evening came home and gave him a kiss and he ended up in the emergency room! So like for like isn't something I could do on my own as I'm sure I'd overdose him. Any advice? Thanks.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be very interested in complementary therapy for peanut allergies as I can't have peanut butter in the house anymore due to my OH's allergy. Once I ate a snickers bar after lunch at work, in the evening came home and gave him a kiss and he ended up in the emergency room! So like for like isn't something I could do on my own as I'm sure I'd overdose him. Any advice? Thanks.
    n
    well medical advice isn't allowed on here anyways but for something as potentially life and death as a anaphylactic reaction :eek: I wouldn't do anything without professional support - complimentary/ alternative or medical
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport