PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me again..i have a question...since when did scrap men want money to take scrap away..i'm bloody fuming..we put out an old broken fridge..with scrap written on it..scrap man turned up..put it on his wagon but only after he had got a passer by to help him load it on..he then came and knocked on the door and asked for a fiver or the price of a pint as he was doing me a favour..my jaw dropped..i don't feel to good but crikey my blood boiled..i told him to take it back off the bloody wagon and leave it..i think he realised i'm a woman on the edge off either throwing up or passing out...he legged up the drive jumped in his van and drove off...cheeky b*gger...
    rant over.
    ftm

The problem with fridges is that they have tyo be disposed of usign licensed dealers because of the gases they contain. These can be re-cycled.

I am guessing this toe-rag was going to break the fridge down, sell the easy bits and dump the gasification unit.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was just going to say what RAS said, you have to pay to dispose of fridges if you runa business, I think we can take them to the municipal and not pay. as for scrap metal its getting more and more valuable by the day, thats why so much is getting stolen. I think it was James May off Top Gear had the lead knicked off the roof of his house recently.

Weather is trying to trick me, sunshining, warm and nice - went out to water the greenhouses and it rained on me. Now its pretending to be nice again so I go out and it can wet me again! :mad: I can make it rain just by putting my coat on and opening the front door.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Well...having quite a scarey day here. There's a big yellow thing in the sky and its shiny and hurts your eyes !!! we ran indoors and shut the curtains in case it's the Triffids coming. :eek:
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    mardatha! we've got that strange yellow thing hovering in the sky over work.....wait.... no.....there it goes.....
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha I've got that yellow thing too. Of course it only arrived after I'd got soaked taking the beast out first thing. Been out to look at the garden. Won't be getting any apples this year. But the rhubarb is doing a very good example of a triffid:rotfl:
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    LOL@ you Mardatha. I'm glad you girls are having some sunshine up there in Scotland - about time eh? It's a lovely day down South too.

Thanks for taking the time to post Grandma and Kimitatsu :)
    I also found that article - in fact I've found so many that my head is spinning.
    They are walking over the cucumber peel I put down this morning as they are the chalk lines I have drawn around the cracks.
    With money being so tight, I think whereas Diatomaceous Earth may well be my best bet, it will have to come after the boiling water I think, after I've exhausted all other suggestions I've discovered on the net.

Next up orange oil, lemon juice and talc then clove oil - though not all at once! lol

Grandma Thanks for the info about anaemia. Although I try to eat well, I've been either anaemic or borderline most of my adult life and am constantly on the look out for food (preferably that doesn't make me retch) that's rich in iron.....all supplements bung me up to put it bluntly. Sorry if that's TMI :rotfl:

So I'm always on the lookout for ways to increase my iron intake and love beetroot, but had no idea that it was rich in iron :T

On a positive finish - I have the tiniest beginnings of two tomatoes :rotfl: Only the size of ½ a petit pois (and that's being generous) but they're there nonetheless :D
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • saveabobortwo
    saveabobortwo Posts: 357 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2011 at 2:08PM
    Options
    im in a good mood today dont even know why . been looking up on the internet for the cheapest bag of large spuds have found a place near us for 3 quid ok inot bad they say they are small sizes but fine for cooking so of this afternoon to see get some hope you all have an amazingly splendid day:T
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    The yellow thing is obviously intelligent and can hear... it heard me talking in here about it and it took off :(
    I would not dream of boasting that I have already produced, and scoffed, 7 small sweet tomatoes. Wouldn't dream of it.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hippeechiq

I love beetroot too but frightened the life out of myself after eating loads of it in a salad and then a few hours later "spending a penny!" Until I realised the beetroot was what had caused the colour in the bowl I thought I needed medical attention! :eek:

DH is happily mowing the back garden and bedding is out on the line as it is finally a nice day here.

Just about to help dd with revision then maybe pop to Mr S to see if there are any yellow stickered goodies to freeze. Went yesterday and got four packs of lamb mince and a couple of turkey mince for about a pound a pack so very pleased with my haul.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a short list here. Just scroll down till you get to iron.
    we should all try and eat a varied diet with lots of coloured veg and fruit. The darker the better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport