PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just read about oil of cloves in water, to send ants away. Worth trying, perhaps make a spray
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank so much for the information on futures Kittie. I'll continue to stock and store in every spare bit of space I can think of. For anyone who doesn't do it already - you can get a lot of cans behind the kickboards at the bottom of kitchen units :D

Got a great bargain at Homebase yesterday. Next door gave us yet more tomato plants, so we went to get a couple of growbags. They had loads (and normal bags of compost) reduced to 99p because the bags had a little tear or split in them. We got 9, being unsure how many the car could take - didn't want a bargain to turn into a huge repair bill, but they had plenty more - we could probably have filled a small van with them. No rescuable plants in their casualty corner this week though.

I'm going to try shopping at Waitrose this week, to see what their meat is like, as that, and fruit, is the main thing I need to buy at the moment.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brownsauce wrote: »
    I have just read through this whole thread. My eyes are soo tired that i fear blindness and brain so frazzled that im not sure i took in half of what was said! lol.

was just wondering if handwashing dishes uses up more water than the dishwasher?
    I heard somewhere that it does, but i seem to have to half was the dishes anyway or food just dries onto the plates and glasses?! I generally just handwash the stuff, but am staying in my mums at the mo and she puts everything in the dishwasher.

My DW uses 7 litres and my sink takes 10 and may need refilling if stuff is very dirty. But the sink uses hot water heated by gas and the DW heats using electricity. Some things I have to wash by hand, in which case i'll do everything else around at the same time. Otherwise I try to put everything in the DW (including pots and pans) so that it is set off fairly frequently and therefore things don't have time to fossilise.
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brownsauce wrote: »
    I have just read through this whole thread. My eyes are soo tired that i fear blindness and brain so frazzled that im not sure i took in half of what was said! lol.

was just wondering if handwashing dishes uses up more water than the dishwasher?
    I heard somewhere that it does, but i seem to have to half was the dishes anyway or food just dries onto the plates and glasses?! I generally just handwash the stuff, but am staying in my mums at the mo and she puts everything in the dishwasher.

I would say that depends on a number of variables, for instance my OH if he washes dishes insists on washing the plate under running water (hot) then into the sink for washing with soap then rinse under cold tap. Then he also changes the water in the bowl every third item, so effectively he uses way more than any dishwasher. Also it would depend on the age and efficiency of the DW - we have a brand new one that uses very little now, but our older one used twice as much.
  • modern_millie_2
    Options
    Hi everyone, finally caught up!
    Jediteacher, congratulations - hope you are getting plenty of rest.

Mrs VP, sure your daughter will benefit from you having a car - from what I remember it's essential to you. We have told DD, now 17, she will have to pay for her driving lessons from her savings (given by us and her grandparents in wealthier times) - needs must. We already pay for piano lessons which are not cheap.

I have started stocking up on basics will be doing more in the light of above info.- thanks Kitty.

Blooming cold here still - sorry for all you Scots, sounds even worse where you are - rain not been too bad in W. Wales. Still have thick duvet, fleece throw and HWB in bed (!). Hope we all get some HOT SUN soon.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to show you all this - it came up as a link on a news website and I thought you all might like a look.

http://www.channel4.com/news/food-poverty-on-the-rise-as-recession-hits-home

Scary thought. We are quite lucky in that we are a family with two incomes, ok mine is part time and Ow is full time but still we have two wages and we still struggle too.

Have been nagging Ow that if he didn't put his stoopid foundations down it would make a fantastic veg patch! ;) he has promised though that he will build me a raised bed fro veg planting though so I shouldn't whine too much and he has said when we put trellis up then I can either grow veg up them, or he will buy me some fruit trees for the bottom of the garden - which will eventually be decked - on the condition that he can have a pot with rhubarb in it. x :p I cant stand the stuff personally but I guess if it gets me a veg plot! :D
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • littlecal
    littlecal Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks sammy_kaye,we had something like this on our local news last week,about a centre giving bags of food to families on low incomes.From what I remember they exchange a voucher for food- donated by supermarkets (and individuals)- and they can use the service a maximum of three times.
    Give without remembering,receive without forgetting.:heart:
  • saveabobortwo
    saveabobortwo Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I think ill go back to storing non perishables again with weekly shop tesco value range . sometimes its difficult to know what to do for the best save money only buy what you need or try to keep on top of inflationary prices by buying more but at last months price think they did this years ago didnt they?so what im going to do is both home cooking freeze everything use up everything and have buy few extra tins etc but the absolute cheapest i can possibly find.when i did this before thought i was just being to overly cautious as friends and family not bothering but ifyou are on a tight budget like we are maybe it is actually very sensible other people can do what they want but we have to do whats right for our household. it dose nt mean im going to go and buy up half the supermarket just stick to my order of a tesco value base shop once a week but order the same every week even if that week i dont actually need another 2 tins of soup to fill the larder right up.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have to admit saveabobortwo I was the same and my family would never buy extra and I thought I was being overly cautious but now I quite enjoy shopping around to find the best deals etc that suit my budget. Our money spend for food is quite low but thats what we can afford and having to take into account that we have two small children, although I am thankful now that Holly is old enough to eat our food now and not just baby jars.

Had a nice find today in the last clear out of the flat and found £10 of cow and gate vouchers that I had a few months back when one of her baby milks was damaged so going to have a look on the best way of spending them now. Her milk is £7.55 a tub :eek::eek::eek: I cant wait to a year old when she moves down a milk (which is £6.98 a tub) or can go on full fat cows milk as she only has a few ounces now for her nap, one 7oz bottle before bed and maybe 3oz in the night IF she needs them.

Thinking maybe a few snack things might be a good way to use them up. Hmmmm...............may investigate further.

Am wondering too if I was to look in the cupboard and see what brands (if any and there really arent many at all) I use - if I write to the companies and ask if they have money off vouchers if I would possibly get anything back? worth a try perhaps?
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • saveabobortwo
    saveabobortwo Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I agree and think id rather have a tin of something inthe cupboard for a rainy day than not, they do all take the mickey out of me though well last time i did accumulate rather alot of tesco value pancake mix but what they don t realise im looking after them :rotfl:pancakes are lovely with a bit of sugar and squirt of lemon , think aswell its a mum thing its our job to look after everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport