Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Oct 10, 5:36 PM
    November 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Oct 10 at 5:36 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Page 12
    • wmf
    • By wmf 1st Nov 10, 3:26 PM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 21,646 Thanks
    wmf
    I'm going to count yesterday's supermarket shop for this month since it's really for this week. So am going to call it roughly 30. I've decided to spend no more than 10 a week on meat, so got a 5 chicken, pack of stickered steaks for 2 (they are small though!) and a tin of corned beef (how healthy eh? but craving corned beef hash!!). I'll get some liver later in the week. The chicken was fab yesterday, will have it hot again tonight with gravy and veg, cold tomorrow and then maybe in a pie with some bacon bits i've got in the fridge. The steaks are in the freezer for a wee treat some time with a nice bottle of red.I noticed a huge price hike in MrS Basics muesli - haven't bought it for a while but it used to be 67p or so, now 99p. Blimey. I left it on the shelf as I'll just use up the porridge I've got. I noticed such rises in prices - the cheapest apples I could get there were Gala at 1.99 a bag and BOGOF. I think other supermarkets might be better priced for apples.
    Popped into MrT today to stock up on Rad0x as they are still doing buy 1 get 2 free. Got 6 altogether so that should keep DH going for a while. I use soap.
    ok, that should be us for the week and poss into next weekend. getting a bit close to December and the bigger spend so am going to try hard this month. Lots of soup making will occur.
    Will need bananas at some point but that should be it.
    Oh - L$dl have cucumbers for 29p - at least I think that's what they were.
  • rosieben
    I just made something very simple for dinner tonight- so yummy , so simple and so cheap. That is why I am going to share it with you. ...
    Originally posted by Want_to_be_free
    sounds good, I'd like to add it to the recipe index, what do you call it please?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Want_to_be_free
    • By Want_to_be_free 1st Nov 10, 4:36 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    Want_to_be_free
    sounds good, I'd like to add it to the recipe index, what do you call it please?
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Opps, I don't really know what to call it- it is passed to me from my mum. Shall we call it 'Cheesey Dough' - But I am glad you like the sound of it. I fried 3 of them and had it with georgeous salad as a dinner tonight. God it is only 5.30 pm and I already had my dinner

Couple of more points on this,

*you can freeze it,
    **instead of cheese you can use veggies such as aubourgine mixed with tomoto cubs or you can make it with mince and onions.
    **Please make sure that the shape it flatish, it fries better with that way.

XXX
    Don't forget smiling
  • adelight
    Went to market for fruit and got 3 apples, 1lb dates, big melon, bananas and 2lbs asparagus for 3.25
    The asparagus had been damaged so most of the tips were snapped or bruised so it was so cheap! I've blanched 1/2lb to freeze and add to cooking and the rest is turning into a soup. I've got a good arsenal of frozen and fresh long life veg to get me through this month
    Living cheap in central London
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 1st Nov 10, 5:09 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

Thanks for your good wishes rosieben, still feeling rough as a dog!

Hello and welcome to the many newbies joining us. I wish you and all fellow GCers good luck for this month.

Btw, greent I saw your amazing achievement on the October thread, well done, truly awe inspiring saving!

For some reason the multi quote ticks didn't keep so sorry no quotes. But I think just doing the GC generally makes you more aware of the prices of individual things like apples and it does come into much sharper focus when you are buying fewer things. That's all good though!

I buy all my meat from the local butcher. Two reasons, I don't like supermarket meat and he uses local-ish (and at the very least all British) suppliers. A lot of it is free range too. His eggs are far bigger, tastier, and cheaper than the sm. There are two of us and we probably spend anywhere between 7.50 and 20 (a rarity) per week with him depending on what we fancy.

We've managed two NSD, yesterday and today, but once my head clears I have to look at doing a big shop. I'd rather do it all in one online but I can't get my non-homogenised milk that way so will have to go to either MrM or MrT from work one day this week.

I've updated the sig. Going to update on the MFW thread and then I'm off to wrap myself up, eat some nice food (I hope) and get an early night. As I was in bed most of Saturday and all day yesterday I couldn't flaming sleep last night so a couple of hours before having to go to work has stretched me hugely.

I'll see you all later or tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 1st Nov 10, 5:22 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Yeah 1st NSD

Just got sausages out of the freezer for tea tomorrow with mash & beans - yummy easy tea.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Weight loss 3 stone
  • Shysarah
    Yay first day and first spend... whoops.. Seeing as I did not actually need much I spent well too!

Spent 17.77 in Ald! 10 voucher so 7.77 Also got Walnuts and Mini Choc Bars for my Christmas Hampers but they are going to come from the voucher..

So Ice cream, BNS, Leeks, Chorizo, Passata x 4, Sugarsnap Peas, Maple Syrup (reduced by 2), Cheeses, Nuts etc topped up the cupboard and fridge.

Off to update sig xx
    GC 2011
    Jan 43.45/40.00 Feb 55.14/55.00 Mar 64.88/120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon)

• cw18
    • By cw18 1st Nov 10, 5:27 PM
    • 8,054 Posts
    • 86,006 Thanks
    cw18
    First spend of the month as I left work.

Butchers section had a couple of packs of 10 beef burgers (850g/pack) reduced to clear - didn't think 1.99 instead of 2.66 was especially good, but knew (from experience) they won't hang around for a later reduction and much prefer these to the cheap frozen things that are supposed to pass as burgers. But then I noticed the 1/3rd off sticker, and realised they're normally 3.99 - so the reduction efectively took them to half price, and I succombed to both packs

When I got to the chilled section there were a couple of packs of 4 extra large pork sausages (360g per pack, so 90g per sausage). These showed as being reduced from 85p to 45p each pack - but the lass was busy doing the next round of reductions so I cheekily asked (as I often do) if they were still for doing..... and I got them for 19p/pack

So that's 4.40 to be deducted from my GC budget - with 3.94 into the tills at Mr M, and 4p change (from original 4.36 total) and 42p staff discount into my sealed pot

That's at least another 14 teas covered, but could be as many as 28 - if I put the burgers into buns I'll use them one at a time, and I've been reducing the number of (smaller) sausages I have at each sitting so may manage with just one as long as I have a pile of veg alongside the mash as well If I average it out as 21 meals worth of meat, it works out at just 21p/meal, which is good news for my budgets

EDIT : Forgot the Whoopsied carton of Strawberry & Banana Smoothie (750ml) I picked up for 49p instead of 2 - put it straight into fridge, didn't need to repack for freezers, and didn't get receipt out before doing update

So that's actually 4.90 to be deducted from my GC budget - with 4.37 into the tills at Mr M, and 5p change (from original 4.85 total) and 48p staff discount into my sealed pot
    Last edited by cw18; 01-11-2010 at 9:39 PM.
    Cheryl
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 1st Nov 10, 5:53 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 14,379 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Hi everyone!

Just been to Mr A and they have 4 tins of tomatoes for 1. They were in the foyer of ours.....Much better than the Mr S basic carton which is now 37p eeek!

Hope this helps people.

Take care

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • katholicos
    Glad to say today has been an NSD and i made something from store cupboard ingredients for our evening meal. Off to a good start, however, tomorrow i'll be going out for a meal in the evening and then going to the cinema and eating popcorn and lots of other crud that is bad for me :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • triticale
    well done, tritacale! it all sounds lush, any recipes you could share with us please?
    Originally posted by rosieben

Hi rosieben,

Most of the recipes are either totally basic, or taken from the fab people on here!

The oat cookie recipe is this one http://www.be-ro.co.uk/recipe/showrec17.html with 40g chopped walnuts added, but I rolled little balls and flattened them rather than rolling thin and cutting, makes a chunkier cookie and takes 5-10 mins longer in oven.

I made a batch last night, they really don't take long and are so worth it for being convenient and filling

Choc orange muffins are these from the recipe index http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=10762129&postcount=748 but without the juice, just the zest. They are absolutely lovely.

Yorkshire puddings were Jami3 Ol!vers from here http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/roast-beef-baby-yorkies-little-carrots-c, but I put the oil in to heat with the pan and they took 5 or so minutes longer than he says. Had them with savoury mince & veg - they were that nice that DDs & I ate all 12 - between 3 of us!! (Smallest is only 6 but is like a human skip ).

Pancakes were the leftover yorkie batter but with a spoon of sugar added.

Pizza base was from here, but it took me so long to search for the one I liked the look of, I can't find it again! So apologies to the original author, this is what I wrote down:

225g bread flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp easy blend yeast
    150ml warm water
    1 tbsp olive oil

Mix dry ingredients, add liquids & knead (or punch the heck out of if you're DD2!) for 10 mins
    Prove in a warm place for 30-60 mins (I did 30 as I don't have time to wait for yeast to get it's behind in gear!)
    Knead & roll out, place in greased baking tray, top, bake at Gas 7 220c for 20 mins or until done.

I topped it with tomato puree, mozz cheese and ham/onion/sweetcorn/whatever I had spare. I know there are quicker pizza base recipes without yeast but I am a deep pan fan.

Wedges were just tossed in oil and salt/pepper/paprika and straight in oven (not pre-boiled). They do take a while though so am considering trying preboiling.

Sausage rolls were just de-skinned morrisons jumbo sausages in basic shortcrust pastry. I have always loved sausage rolls but am fussy with bought ones - I like them with lots of pastry and well cooked (=totally dry!!!)

I made enough shortcrust to top my chicken and broccoli pie - made a basic white sauce, added the brocc (lightly cooked in micro) and leftover chicken bits, brush with milk & voila - lovely pie! The brocc fell apart a bit and flavoured the sauce beautifully.

Hope this helps - I often become vague with (non-baking) recipes and just make it up as I go along. I have no idea of the proper timing for half the stuff I make - I just keep checking it until it's done! Used to drive ex-hub bonkers, 'how long till the spuds are ready?' 'i have absolutely no idea' LOL.

Now I'm really hungry but have very painful womanache and don't really want to stand up cooking. It might well be oat walnut cookies for my tea!
    • laloopi
    • By laloopi 1st Nov 10, 6:33 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    laloopi
    Please put me down for 250 for November. We're already 46.40 down thanks to a trip to Mr M's (using the NoTW voucher for 5 off).
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 1st Nov 10, 6:34 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    wow I can't believe we're twelve pages in by the evening of the 1st! I have been lucky this week because DH brought a load of food home from Explorer Scout Camp (he's the Leader) which included sandwich meat, cheese, coffee, crisps and bread oh and 8 tins of He*nz Soup! So between what I already had in and this gift then I should be able to get by on very little this week. I hope just to need toilet rolls (Can't do without them!) and F&V so will aim for 10 - 15 spend only. I've joined the NSD challenge, I've guessed I can manage 12 so we'll see how it goes! Hope you're all doing well so far, will catch up on the thread tomorrow night which is when everyone except me is out
  • Long tall sally
    No spend days yesterday and today. Altered the meal plan a bit tonight as it was supposed to sausages, mask & beans which I still did for the kids but made a tuna pasta bake for me & OH. It was a bit tastless to be honest but there is still loads left so OH has agreed for us both to have the left overs again tomorrow night instead of the roast chicken I had originally planned. Can't think unfortunately of anything I can do now to umph it up a bit other than serving it with sweetcorn which it wasn't made with.

Typically DS didn't like the quiche that I had bought from the gluten free food fayre which was really annoying because it was really expensive. I nibbled at some of it but unfortunately he had smothered it in ketchup and eggs & ketchup are not a nice combination for me.

I will be glad really when my DD has come to the end of her block of cookery lessons. Every week for the last 8 weeks I have been buying ingredients for her but today's attempt did not go well at all & has had to go in the bin.

Mrs M - I don't seem to be on the list. Can you put me down for 450 again for November please? Thanks very much.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • rosieben
    Opps, I don't really know what to call it- it is passed to me from my mum. Shall we call it 'Cheesey Dough' - But I am glad you like the sound of it. I fried 3 of them and had it with georgeous salad as a dinner tonight. God it is only 5.30 pm and I already had my dinner

Couple of more points on this,

*you can freeze it,
    **instead of cheese you can use veggies such as aubourgine mixed with tomoto cubs or you can make it with mince and onions.
    **Please make sure that the shape it flatish, it fries better with that way.

XXX
    Originally posted by Want_to_be_free
    Thanks, that sounds like a good name to me Maybe you could add these notes to your original post?

• niksyg
    • By niksyg 1st Nov 10, 7:01 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    niksyg
    Hello!

Can I join in please?? I would like to try and stick to 120 this month.
    That's for just me and OH - but he eats soooo much (and stays thin - grrrrr) , hopefully we'll manage it!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of 7700
  • rosieben
    triticale, thanks for taking the trouble to list all that

I've added the links to the recipe index (I linked to the front page of Jamie Oliver as there are so many good recipes there) and listed the others, including your pizza base, thanks, you're a star!

• mswan
    • By mswan 1st Nov 10, 7:41 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 4,188 Thanks
    mswan
    OMG I am keeping a spending diary, everything I spend is technicaly grocery money, I'm going to have to be very careful for the rest of the month.
    An amazing eye opener that I would recommend although quite shocking.
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 1st Nov 10, 7:51 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    My first spend of the month also. A mere 10.18 but this didn't get me much. Im following SW and really trying to get (back) to target before xmas so Im buying more f&v. So a loaf of bread, some bagels, strawberries/raspberries (2 for 4) , a pack of mange tout, baby s.corn and some cherry toms eats 10.18 into my budget. Hopefully my well stocked freezers will compensate for the extra f&v spends this month.

as i type this, im eating my m&$ melt in midddle pudd. with lovely vanilla ice cream. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is all I can say. this was meant to be my treat tomorrow but by the time i get home and eat my tea (after weigh in) it will be too late for pudd ! im hoping it won't impede my date with the scales - I have been pretty good the rest of the week.

I know some of you are following sw and also doing the GC. - what do you do about all those items of food that are not sw friendly - have been bought and are hiding away in your cupboards/freezers. I thought the best way (especially since I am trying to eat up the contents of my freezer). was to perhaps have "one bad thing" a week. worst offenders at the moment that i can think of are the lamb kebabs and the burgers with sweet chilli sauce in them (both from m&$). ?? what do other sw members think ? its only me that going to eat them - i don't want to give them away ?

I still haven't meal planned. too tired to do tonight but must do soon. will be another visit to the supermarket tomorrow evening and will then try to avoid until the weekend. Some of you have been talking about whether you buy meat from the butchers or the supermarket. I would like to support my local butcher more and the tray of of beef steaks that I bought for 10 (which went in my curry on sat) did for dinner saturday evening with leftovers tonight plus a portion for the freezer. I served up generous portions too so could have gone further...

The rump steak i bought though was disappointing. The packaging was poor - didn't survive the journey home and had to wash my Hessian bag it was also quite tough when cooked despite resting might stick to the s.market for steak in future.

in other news, agree with other posters that taking out the relevant amount of cash each week is a good plan - will probably go back to having my "grocery purse" it feels so much different when you hand over cold hard cash!
    Last edited by Flat Eric; 02-11-2010 at 5:32 AM.

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 1st Nov 10, 7:52 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    a NSD today.
    did hm pizzas tonight for tea and afters is halloween muffins that didnt get eaten yesterday
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,895Users online

Martin's Twitter