Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 10:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 10:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Page 13
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 2nd Oct 10, 12:06 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Didn't mean to go out anywhere today, but ended up having to pop to the shop for milk, so that's another £1.05 on my total. Argh! One day I'll have a No Spend Day!

Still, spaghetti bolognese for tea tonight made with some pork mince I found RTC in Mr Ms a while ago and I'll make a huge batch so we can have bolognese toasties for tea tomorrow night. Hopefully won't have to go shopping anywhere either.

Have a good day

KB xx

• Morganarla
    • By Morganarla 2nd Oct 10, 12:08 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,089 Thanks
    Morganarla
    I'm in again! Can I go for £85 again please?

Only went over my September budget by a few pence but this month will be hard as I've had to stock up on furbaby food (their food comes under my grocery budget).

Mr S has delivered £58.94 worth of stuff this morning, so most of that is taken up already..
    Man this is gonna take some willpower to be creative and not go to the supermarket...
  • ChocClare
    OK, it's Day 2 of October, and I haven't spent anything yet, although I did go over in September so I can't really get too cocky!

Sold lots of eggs this week (hooray) which all helps, plus DD has got herself a job which will help with horsy costs. And I'm off work next week. Double hooray!

Starting October in a positive way, therefore. Cupboards and freezers are groaning.

Repeat every day: what's for supper tomorrow? Have I got it out of the freezer yet???? That way, we might be ok this month...
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 2nd Oct 10, 12:23 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 62,248 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    M%S - £9.98
    Int'l Market £5.99 ( parmesan)

• MRSMCAWBER
    chees + onion fryit recipe
    Here you go CW18 -I have just copied it over so i have left the syns etc on in case any SW-ers want to try them..... Not sure how they will be in cals -but no doubt you will figure it out with one of you spreadsheets/programmes
    Some one else has just made them for lunch and let me know that they were a hit with her and her boyfriend -so I hope you like them.... they are soooo yummy cold

cheese n onion fryits

makes 4
    1. 400g peeled potato
    2. 1 large onion -finely chopped
    3. 4 spring onions -chopped
    4. 1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
    5. 84g cathederal city lighter (2xA)
    6. salt n pepper
    7. 2 laughing cow light (3)
    8. 1 egg
    9. 28g dried breadcrumbs (5)
    • boil the potatoes, drain and allow to dry off -then mash
    • zap the onions/spring onions in the microwave until soft
    • beat the onions, mustard, seasoning and grated cheese into the potato and leave in the fridge to chill until firm
    • divide into 4
    • shape into rounds -then poke a hole in the centre and fill with 1/2 a laughing cow light
    • cover over with the mash and re-shape into flat rounds
    • chill in the fridge
    • dip each one into egg and then the bread crumbs and then chill until needed
    • then just drop on a non stick sheet (I use a silicone liner) and then bake at about 190 until golden -(I didn't flip them just in case they collapsed)
    so for 2 cakes you are looking at 1heA and 4 syns on EE/Green ...and if you wanted to do it on red then you could use 2 x 227g jacket and count half the mix(2 cakes) as your heB -but you would have to steam or bake them first, scoop out the middles to mash (and eat your skin for it to be a heB )
    I was going to use another heA each and put mozarella in but I thought about it and as mozarella doesn't have much flavour I changed my mind (and saved an A to boot )
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Oct 10, 12:53 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    Here you go CW18 -I have just copied it over so i have left the syns etc on in case any SW-ers want to try them..... Not sure how they will be in cals -but no doubt you will figure it out with one of you spreadsheets/programmes
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Many thanks for the recipe

The site I'm using to count my calories allows us to create recipes and does the hard work for us

According to that these work out 223 cals each (not bad at all). Nutritional breakdown is 47% Carbs, 23.2% Protein and 29.7% Fat - so not bad for that either (daily target is 55% Carbs, 15% Protein and 30% Fat) especially as adding fruit and veg through the day bumbs carbs and drops the other two
    Cheryl
    • MrsRogers
    • By MrsRogers 2nd Oct 10, 12:53 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    MrsRogers
    Well my Oct budget runs 22nd Sept - 22nd Oct we are going to count it as a 5 week month (5 Friday shops). 2 down and spent over £150 so got to be really good on the next 3 which are going to have to be less then£49

Only saving grace is I need ZERO cleaning stuff / cat food or toiletries so all on for food.

Only thing i am struggling with is I started weight watchers 4 weeks ago and no healthy stuff is ever of offer GGGRR Also healthy choices all seem to be that much more expensive!

Any tips would be welcome
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free

I Quit Smoking March 2010
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 2nd Oct 10, 12:59 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Have spent £14.73 between Netto and Co op on fresh top up food and one of the co op chickens thats on offer. they have some good offers at the minute.

£2 in farmfoods on bread and milk, more fresh stuff next week but no meal items!
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • jen6200
    Hi I would like to join in with this challenge please.
    I have no idea what I would normally spend but am starting with £300 for October (1st to 31st) this is for all food / cleaning stuff / toiletries / pet stuff for 2 adults 2 children 1 dog 2 cats 2 guinea pigs and 2 goldfish!!

Hopefully with a bit of careful planning I can reduce this amount quite a bit over the next few months.

Thanks
    September £10 a day challenge - £207.39 / £300
    October £10 a day challenge - £170.67 / £310
    November £10 a day challenge - £0 / £300

November GC - £9.62 / £350
    • jackie_w
    • By jackie_w 2nd Oct 10, 1:44 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 5,612 Thanks
    jackie_w
    Hello everyone, hope you are all well.

Today I went shopping and have spent £63.19 between, Mo**isons, A*da, S/drug & L*dl and F/F.

Made the mistake of going to Mo**isons first. I never go there, but, I had to meet my mum and sister. They were advertising tinned tomatoes at buy 1, get 2 free for 98p, so I thought that was a good bargin until I went into Asda and they were advertsing 4 for £1 (cant remember the make). Also, they had their cartons of juice for 2 for £1 (you get 3 in a pack), I buy these for kids park lunches, so, i got 4 packs altogether then went into F/F where they were selling 27 for £4.98.

In F/f i got tortilla wraps 2 for £1, but L*Dl were selling they for about 40p.

Was really annoyed at myself, and seriously considered going back to the shops to ask for a refund for the things I could have got cheaper, but, thought the cost in petrol back would outweigh the cos I would save IYSWIM.

Anyway, in my shop today, I have enough crisps and yogurts to last for approx 2 weeks, I got 2 boxes of 750g of cornflakes which should last me for quite a while, and I also got a tin of sweets for Christmas.

I shouldnt need to buy anything else during the week, except bread, but, Im seriously thinking about just making my own again, and telling the kids to like it or lump it.
    Hopefully next week, will only need to buy fruit, cold meat etc.

Jintyb and brodie1, thank you so much for the tips on gravy in the slow cooker, will try that. Browning the meat is something I never do, but will try this from now on, and ive never added potatoes to the slow cooker before.

Seductivesmile and Mrs M , those meal plans/meals sound delicious.

My boss has said there might be a chance of increasing my hours, and he is going to speak to me next week about it woohoo, so fingers crossed.
  • moozie
    I'd love to be part of it this month please We have been relaxing our budget on the food over the last few months so this will help bring things back in line, hopefully

So, will say £200 and aim to have change at the end of the month That's for us two and the two adult kids that have forgotten they have moved out.....
    Leason learnt
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 2nd Oct 10, 2:35 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    NSD day today

made millies cookies , they are yummy and huge i didnt realise they would spread so much lol

also made a batch of cherry scones

need to go to costco tomorrow for toilet roll and orange juice and something i cant remember
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 2nd Oct 10, 2:40 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi everyone,

i`ve just taken the plants that i bought off my receipt and have my first spend of the month which is £30.72 in MrM, quite pleased really as it came to less than i`d expected. I still have a couple of things to buy which i shall get elsewhere but i`m not in any great hurry for these so i`ll pop to the shops in the next few days.

The site I'm using to count my calories allows us to create recipes and does the hard work for us
    )
    Originally posted by cw18
    CW18- Sounds good,would you mind posting the site that you mentioned please so that i can take a look? I fell of the dieting wagon a while ago so i wouldn`t mind climbing back on with a bit of help.

Thanks

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • Diflower
    Hi all,
    Spent £21.85, MrT & 99p shop. Now have soda crystals to add to washing. Treats bought today, pizza (our only ready-meal), chocolate, mini-cheddars and our once-a-week newspaper. Shouldn't need much else in the week so hope I'll keep on track.

Really must try and meal-plan more than a few hours ahead
    Tomorrow is worked out but nothing beyond that, will be defrosting the freezer so will have a go.
    No idea how to do the signature thing, it must tell me somewhere...
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Oct 10, 3:01 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    CW18- Sounds good,would you mind posting the site that you mentioned please so that i can take a look? I fell of the dieting wagon a while ago so i wouldn`t mind climbing back on with a bit of help.

Thanks

SD
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    Not sure I can post a link on here (it's a pay-for site, but on a 6-monthly sub it's only £7.99/month - so well worth it in my eyes, and much cheaper than the 'meetings' type ones I've seen advertised where you only have support for an hour or so a week). Will PM you the info though
    Cheryl
  • JayJay14
    I find this site really good and it is free,

http://www.foodfocus.co.uk/index.php
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Oct 10, 3:18 PM
    • 16,735 Posts
    • 143,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    Day 2 of my month, and a NSD today.I went to the shops with DD and never spent a bean.She bought 2 x4 litres bottles of semi-skimmed milk from Iceland for £2.00 and gave one to me, so no need to buy any milk this week either .Still have my food purse intact.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • WelshWoofer
    Done the weekly shop today (with a list!) and managed to spend pennies over £50. This was split between Mr S and Wilkos - there's some good toiletry offers on at Wilkos at the moment and got Timotei S & C for 97p each, Originals shower gel for 99p each, a massive Morning Fresh washing up liquid for 80p and 4 rolls of toilet paper for 99p. Not bad for the stuff that always manages to bump up the shopping bill.

The rest of the dosh was spent on mostly F&V and fresh stuff and some veggie bits and pieces at Mr S.

I'm over my £45 a week budget by £5 again but a lot of stuff will last into next week too and hopefully bring that bill down. Famous last words!

My month goes from 15th to 15th (payday) so its the last shop of the month next week.There's only about £30 left in the budget so its very probable that I'll go over budget but will try reeeaaallly hard!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • Hippeechiq
    Good afternoon all

Had my first spend of the month yesterday (our month starts on the 25th) -so not too bad ...€23.00 .
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    That's seriously impressive, both on your spend and on your NSDs and congratulations on your weight loss, which is even more impressive - very well done

Thanks also for the Cheese & Onion Fryits recipe - they sound lovely

Spends today for me of £5.99 so total spend so far £31.39 - not the best of starts, as I've got nothing much to show for it.

I've been trying to source some cheap Coconut Milk today

I've always bought it from A$da in my online shop for about 76p. It was A$das own brand, but although several different makes show up on My$upermarket, when I actually sign in, it shows none as being available to me, and if I sign into the actual A$da website it doesn't show me their own brand anymore, but one called Kingfisher at £1.09 per tin.

I went to Waitro$e today and it was £1.29 per tin, and my local Te$co only sell Amoy @ £1.93 per tin so I ended up buying 3 tins out of an Asian shop @ 99p each, but I'm not a happy bunny....why has the price suddenly shot up so much?
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 02-10-2010 at 3:42 PM.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Oct 10, 3:29 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    I've been trying to source some cheap Coconut Milk today
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    If you have one near you, my branch of B'n'M has some - think it was 49p/tin but can't be 100% sure. I debated getting one in, as I know it's something OH keeps in his house so obviously uses...... but I didn't have a clue what I'd actually use it in, so I left it while I research some recipes
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,522Posts Today

8,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin