Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    25th Jan 10 at 1:10 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-01-2010 at 8:34 AM.
Page 31
  • loulou0327
    Well i was doing so well, i think I'm addicted to bargain food shopping i couldent risist myself yesterday all cheep stuff large ham hock 1.50 4 packets of pepper seeds 89p processed peas 10p a tin the list goes on.
    I really have to stop because my cupboards and chest freezer are full (had to take some bread out to fit offending just bought meat in).
    Just need milk today but that's all i will be buying i'll nip to farmfoods later for there milk offer then i'm hoping i can hibernate for a week?
    I've worked out i never seem to go more than one day without shopping Grrrrrrr....

On another note does anyone know of a recipe for a betty crocker style cake topping ? i was hoping to make my OH a cake for valentines day (got everything in cupboards)?

We decided to give valentines a miss this year first time in 17 years, we need the money more than another card, over priced wine, chocolate etc but it would be a shame to see it go totally unmarked. So thought the kids could help me whip up a nice treat for all of us.
    Grocery challenge Jan 270.27/200

Total debt 04/01/2011 2671.23
  • huxley
    Hi all going a little over budget at the moment must bring it back in line get my fifty pounds each saturday so should only have spent 300 so far but at 320.74 should be able to though. Dh has gone to work today,as ground not sooooo frozen to dig, just hoping its not too wet with thawing! Got some mash potato in the fridge so think I will mix in some tuna and veg and it will be tuna & potatoe pie for dinner. Got some bacon stock so may make a large pot of soup as a fill up over the weekend.
    • nicki
    • By nicki 12th Feb 10, 9:00 AM
    • 7,294 Posts
    • 88,420 Thanks
    nicki
    I was hoping to have a NSD but I need to buy milk (I buy the Smartprice UHT stuff ) so I'm going to have a mooch around the cupboards etc to see if I need anything else and then hopefully I won't need to go shopping with DD next week as I'll take her tonight after school and make her work for her chippy tea
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 12th Feb 10, 9:19 AM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 9,437 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hello all,

Spent 296.58 last month so aiming at 280.00 for this month, I work on a 4 week basis so my month will start today 31st Jan and finish 28th Feb

So Far, 135.55

Co-op 5.43
    Co-op 17.17
    Tesco 20.02

Total 178.17
    • little_miss_moneysaver
    • By little_miss_moneysaver 12th Feb 10, 9:50 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 7,653 Thanks
    little_miss_moneysaver
    Hello everyone,

Have been lurking as normal just tallied up my final Jan total so am a bit behind, OH doesn't put the receipts in the right place so I'm finding them all over the house! I spent 100.92 last month so 92p over Was happy with that, it included food and household bits

This month my total so far is 68.10, have had two big shops, the first one was an unexpected trip around Morrisons at my friends house and I found some fantastic offers and lots of other exciting things. Well same things they have at Tescos but in a different order. Anyway next time i'll have to restrain myself.

Made a massive pan of carrot and corriander soup yesterday used about 2lbs carrots which I worked out about 50p, 30p fresh corriander, then 2pots and an onion maybe 30p? and a few bits from my cupboard so hopefully enough for 4/5 lunches each for me and OH. Anyway I was chuffed! Cheap and cheerful and just the weather for soup
    Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012
    Second menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • hilly123
    Big shop nearly 100 yesterday however stocked up on wine and also freezer is jam packed, OH is away most of next week and weekend so really should not have to pick up anything apart from the odd bit of fruit & veg. This is first GC so taking it quite seriously at moment and is amazing how much longer shopping takes when you are pricing everything up on the shelves instead of just banging in whatever you want in your trolley
    460/2000 mortg overpayment
  • peetzil39
    Hi Loulou,
    I was thinking exactly the same thing, am even trying my hand at a home made card! (and I'm no crafter LOL) I've found a frosing recipe in my Dairy Cook book, not tried it, but sounds lovely!

Coffee Fudge Frosting

2oz butter
    4oz soft brown sugar
    3tsp coffee essence
    1tbsp fresh single cream
    8oz sifted icing sugar

Put butter, sugar, coffee essence and cream in pan, stand over low heat stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves, bring to boil, boil briskly for 3 mins only, remove from heat, stir in icing sugar, beat until smooth, continue for further 5 mins,or until frosting has cooled ans is stiff enough to spread.
    My lot love good old butter icing, but with a wee drop of orange juice in, so that will be my topping yum

Peetzil x
    CC 1 Halifax 4350(4.9%)
    CC 2 MBNA 6260 (5.4%)
    CC 3 Barclaycard 8500(0%)
    CC 4 Tesco 2500
    O/D 3000
  • Winged one
    I am doing good! We pretty much ate from the freezer this week and only needed a pack of pullups for DD during the week. I made a nasi goreng for myself last night and used quite a bit of veg from the freezer which was good. And little bits of things are getting used up, while I can finally see shelf space in a few of the cupboards.

I was just putting together a meal list for the next few days on the other thread, and I really only need to buy fruit and veg, 2 steaks, perhaps 3 lamb chops or some fish, bread, milk, and dunkers to see us through this week again.

I may even get organised to make a quiche - um, smoked salmon and leek perhaps (salmon in freezer from special last summer) - oh, and Tues is pancake tues, so I will be changing that menu plan. But I could actually get away with just buying steaks for a nice romantic dinner Sat, and not needing to buy any other meat for the rest of the week and all of next weekend too.

And my boss has agreed to me using most of my remaining leave in early March (leave year ends at end March), so I will probably take a trip to Mr. S, or maybe even Mr. A (I don't think there's a Mr. M within easy reach) up around Newry direction on one of those days. So totally restock the cupboards then (which would blow the budget for the month - but then again, I am also running an annual tracker so I should still be good overall).
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
  • rosieben
    Coffee Fudge Frosting is now in the front page recipe index peetzil; it sounds absolutely lush

did a small shop today in the village - spent 18, mostly at the butcher so now have lots of things in the freezer for my meal plan;

good luck everyone!

edited to correct name - apologies to peetzil I posted in a rush as I was missing Jean Luc Picard on the telly, and thanks loulou for picking it up
    Last edited by rosieben; 13-02-2010 at 8:48 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 12th Feb 10, 1:05 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Done some shopping this morning - picked up a bit more than planned, but nothing out of the ordinary - refilled the fruit bowls and picked up a few treats and picnic bits ready for half term, found some good reductions in the Co-op that will freeze (along with two tubs of HD/B&J on offer - couldn't resist, lol), and got some washing up liquid and loo cleaner cheap in Poundstretcher.

Total spend is now 153.94, and I can't see a reason to shop now until next Wednesday at least

Edit - nearly forgot - also got some seed potatoes and a rhubarb crown from Homebase (10% day and I had an extra points voucher) - not sure whether to put them onto the grocery budget or the garden budget.
    Last edited by earthmother; 12-02-2010 at 1:10 PM.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
  • KITTY
    First day I've been able to post since Tuesday due to the lurgy

Spent just 1.50 on 2 bottles of Lemonade as that's all I wanted to drink and we don't have fizzy pop in often. Also means I have added another 2 NSD's to my total. Don't need to spend much this weekend either. Got a very small shopping list of mainly fresh items so hopefully a frugal weekend to be had.

Merry Christmas
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 12th Feb 10, 3:12 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 14,557 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Had two spends this week. Had my online delivery from Tesco on Tuesday night which came to 22.28. Then I popped into M&S for the Valentines meal (I am not counting that as that is part of our entertainment budget as we are not going out) but I bought a few extras so that's another 6.16. Total for this week so far is 31.39 so under my budget again as of today.

Don't think I need anything else this week so fingers crossed. Had 3 NSD so far this week and should manage another two over the weekend.

• Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 12th Feb 10, 4:09 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    I have updated sig had a shop at weekend but we had visitors so a bit more okay a lot more than we planned to spend.
    Got a sack pots yesterday 5.00
    made a weekly menu planner so lets see shopping tomorrow max 20.00
    But also our 1st anniversary Sunday so need things for romantic picnic hubby presenting me with diamand eternity ring and going down on one knee at our castle.
    So if I stick to shopping list this is doable.
    Good luck everyone
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
  • welshkaz
    a nsd for me today and it feels so much more angelic as its payday lol x
    may groc challenge 167/280...
  • loulou0327
    I would hate to take to take credit where it's not due it was actually peetzil39who posted the recipe and it sounds great will definitely be using it in the future.
    Was looking for a vanilla or plain butter frosting though so i could use food coloring to turn it red for Sunday if anyone else has any ideas.
    In fact could i just adapt that recipe and just drop out the coffee??
    Grocery challenge Jan 270.27/200

Total debt 04/01/2011 2671.23
    • nicki
    • By nicki 12th Feb 10, 6:49 PM
    • 7,294 Posts
    • 88,420 Thanks
    nicki
    Oh dear I went to do the shop and I've spent another 31.04 which takes my total to 118.74/120 I have got everything I need though for the rest of the month in theory Now its just a case of not going to the shops
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • poppy-glos
    nsd today, spends in tesco and lidl day before, signature updated. 4.50 a day max spend to stay on budget..
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • helen jelly
    Hello everyone
    I've updated my siggy and need to do a big store cupboard shop tomorrow as we are running out of everything!!! So I'll be going to L!dl's to get most of it. Also need to buy DH a little something for Valentine Day - no idea what so hoping to be inspired when I shop.

Keep up the good work everyone - although Feb is only 4 weeks it always seems to me to be the longest month of the year
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 12th Feb 10, 8:10 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Evening all,

had a few spends today in Mr A, i cant help whoopsie shopping

i got-

a valentines mug for dh 1
    pasta and chicken x 2 1.06
    kinder bueno choccie things for dd 1.05
    easter egg for me 1
    4 x tins hotdogs 2 (on offer, 96p each or 4 for 2-Ye Olde Oak)
    3 x packets of crumpets 42p
    loaf 56p
    gift bag 50p
    local paper 57p

that looks like it on receipt-6.66 on ACTUAL grocery spends that i count.

I cant believe how many shops ive been in this week, too many days off have done it, back in work tommorow but then off again for three days! Hope i can reign myself in!

Oops, forgot dh bringing milk home but we have a couple of healthy start vouchers to use up so they should cover it.

Off for a nice bath and an early night before my almost 14 hr shift tommorow

Night all x
  • Botany
    Good Evening everyone! I know I'm not part of the challenge this month (have been away with the hubby) but I wanted to pop in and congratulate all of you. Keep it up, you're almost half-way through the month!

And see you all on the
    March GC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

5,914Users online

Martin's Twitter