Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 09, 5:28 PM
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 09 at 5:28 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 22
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 3rd Jan 10, 1:49 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    nsd again!! i'm liking these

Hugs to slowandsteady and SunnyGirl

off to see if we have chicken in the freezer as i'd like to do kebabs this week and if i get them marinading tomorrow can have a lovely tea tuesday

tc

ioiwe
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• girlintheglassbox
    I'm currently living off the contents of my freezer! So haven't done any shopping yet. Hoping to keep it that way as long as possible! Snow here is unbelievable so I'm more than happy not to have to walk to Mr T's!
  • JayJay14
    Have been to Aldi and Poundland this afternoon so now have spuds and veg plus some cereal and crackers.

Will be eating out of the freezer for most of January at the very least so shouldn't need much more this week, just more fruit and perhaps some bread if ther are any decent woopsies.
  • loulou0327
    Just had a walk to shops, no choice really we had run out of fresh stuff, milk, fruit etc...
    Was quite pleased because i stuck to my list apart from a quick nip in the charity shop :rolleyes:.
    So first spend of January was 17.26.

That included a spend of 1.07 in the charity shop where amazingly in there sale i got ;
    A Collins junior dictionary, a copy of Roald Dahl's Georges marvelous medicine, morgan body scrub 100ml, No 7 soft and soothed toner 30ml, Boots organic body mud 50ml and Boots royal jelly body wash 100ml.
    I think Boots sale would find it hard to beat 29p each buy one get one free on toiletries!!
    Grocery challenge Jan 270.27/200

Total debt 04/01/2011 2671.23
  • annieb30
    Trying to have a NSD but ended up having to buy milk - sent OH to shop so i didnt get tempted!! :-)
    Weekly Spend Challenge: 13.83/25
    Total Debt: was 6448 (2/8/10) now 6056
  • skintbint
    thats mrT's just been so thats another 60 spend but thats including the 3 months supply of washing powder and a months supply of loo roll (what do they do with it???????????????) and a months supply of coffee and other bits and pieces so just have to really get fresh the rest of the month, have gone well over what i had hoped to spend by this time but had to get supplies in for Hogmanay however will keep spends to a minimum and we should hit target (~ever the optimist), NSD yesterday though so thats 2 this month
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - 204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint
    • loopychriss
    • By loopychriss 3rd Jan 10, 3:14 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    loopychriss
    That included a spend of 1.07 in the charity shop. I think Boots sale would find it hard to beat 29p each buy one get one free on toiletries!!
    Originally posted by loulou0327

Wow, that was a good sale! Which charity shop was it please? I may have to go and find one....!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

Sealed Pot Challenge #173

• Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 3rd Jan 10, 3:26 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    KB can I ask about the recipe for these kebabs please? I'm supposing it's using the lamb you mentioned, but perhaps you can post the recipe - no rush, when you're feeling better.
    Originally posted by sashanut
    I'll type it up here as I can't find a recipe for it online. I have amended it to state how I make it. The original recipe was by Azmina Govindji in the Feasts from the East cookbook. Here goes:

Lamb Tikka

8oz lean lamb, cut into smallish chunks
    Marinade:
    2 tsp oil
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1 tsp crushed ginger
    Small tub of low fat natural yoghurt
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 tbsp rogan josh curry paste (I've upped the quantities to make it a bit richer)
    1/4 tsp salt

Combine the ingredients for the marinade and pop the lamb chunks in. Leave for a bit (min. 1/2 hour) and then thread onto skewers. If using wooden ones, leave them in water to soak for about an hour to prevent them from burning. Do a chunk of lamb, then a bit of quartered onion or a small mushroom or bit of pepper, then coat the kebabs with the remaining marinade.

Grill for 5 minutes each side, turning 4 times (20 mins) under a hot grill. You can cook them for slightly less time if you like it a bit rarer - we prefer a medium/well done piece of lamb.

Hope that helps,

Kitchenbunny xx

• kayjay1809
    • By kayjay1809 3rd Jan 10, 3:44 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    kayjay1809
    My January household/food budget is 325. We have a full cupboard, I'm on my annual diet so should be eating a lot less and hubby's just been shopping spending a total of 100 but stocked up on many household items which won't need replacing again this month. This is for 2 adults, 1 child (who eats as much as an adult) and 2 rabbits.

January Budget - 325

3/1 Spent - 100
    Remaining - 225 which equals 75 per week
    2018 - The Year I Will Declutter!
  • mummyslittleboy
    Needed a few bits from the shop so to resist the urge of spending sent the kids with a list saves me buying more chocolate or sweets that I don't need.

Total spend was 4.84 thats was for toilet rolls, potatoes,bread and sugar so not to bad much cheaper than if i'd have gone .

Yesterday was a no spend day and all the meals for this week will be coming out the freezer need to go and get fruit,cereals and a few other bits but hopefully won't go untill wednesday.
    member of the thrifty gifty 2011
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 3rd Jan 10, 4:23 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    all stocked up in my "basic cooked veg" freezer drawer again

(this sadly makes me smile)

Originally posted by pink_numbers
    Pink

WOW I want a drawer like that....does the mushrooms defost well?
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
  • peetzil39
    Hi all,
    Did grocery shopping online this week, spend 76.07 inc. delivery. Also got a few items I forgot to order, down the local shop which cost another 4.89! This has to last until next Sun, and I will need extra milk midweek. Still my budget is 100, so I am hopeful I will manage to stay within it Back to work on Tues for me and DH, and it will be packed lunches all round LOL
    Great supportive thread - ps love the picture of the freezer drawer too! Unfortunately I have a tiny wee freezer, but maybe one day............
    Peetzil x
    CC 1 Halifax 4350(4.9%)
    CC 2 MBNA 6260 (5.4%)
    CC 3 Barclaycard 8500(0%)
    CC 4 Tesco 2500
    O/D 3000
  • yummyhoney
    Trying to have a NSD but ended up having to buy milk - sent OH to shop so i didnt get tempted!! :-)
    Originally posted by annieb30
    have just done the same thing myself,,cant trust myself these days:rolleyes:
    Dont cry because it's over,
    Smile because it happened.

sealed pot challenge 3 #865
    Jan NSD 10/10 Jan groc. challenge 169.18/400
    Dec NSD ??/10 Dec.grocery challenge 230/400:rolleyes:
  • Loadsabob
    1.41 on two pints of milk today Normally it is delivered with my Riverford veg, but this will see me through to Wednesday's delivery. So expensive because I only drink organic milk, and it was from Spar because I couldn't be bothered to walk further.

Still, 1.41 for three days of January, I'm pleased! Freezer and cupboard inventory for me early this week. I know there is plenty. I can't see me buying food this week...apart from the Riverford delivery.
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 3rd Jan 10, 4:59 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Afternoon all, hope everyone is ok.

Huge thank you to everyone who has been so knd as to send good wishes for my FIL, hugs to SUNNYGIRL and your family. FIL has beed diagnosed with a very bad chest infection, obviously making his chest conditions worse, his fits are they believe a result of him having reduced his alcohol intake due to not going shops etc, so they are as a result of a withdrawal from alcohol basically. He is to have a CT tommorow. DH has just got back and he is looking better apparently, poor man is apparently just under 7 stone at nearly 6 foot tall, hope this can help him beat such an awful ilness.

I went to Mr A today for bread (sorry couldnt be fussed making it, not in mood!) and got some orange juice. Was so proud of myself though cos i didnt get anything else!

Evening meal tonight is beef brisket i dug out of the freezer and has just come out of the slow cooker, and veg and potatoes and yorkies. Just waiting for MIL to bring DD back, then bed for her and tea for me and dh.

First day at my new job tommorow, hope the weather isnt too snowy i dont want the added stress of bad weather on my journey there.
    Im going to make some soup later to take as hospital canteens are so expensive and i havent even got my ID badge yet for a discount!

So spend today was 2.94, will add it to my signature now.

Hugs and best wishes to all who are getting through difficult times
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd Jan 10, 5:33 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    First day at my new job tommorow,
    Originally posted by slowandsteady
    Good luck for tomorrow!! I'm off for an interview so we shall share all the good luck that is going!

Just made a huge pot of spicy lentil soup so that'll do lunches for the next week or so at work. Had a quick look at the meal planning thread. As my new years resolution is to be more organised I'm gonna try this for the first time. I mean it shouldn't be that hard, its only me I need to plan for!!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
  • lizzyshep
    Strange, could have sworn I posted on here but can't find it anywhere!

I'd like to join please, January's budget is only 35 but that's just for me, and I have a massive storecupboard/freezer full of food. I've already spent a bit, but that included some basics which will last, plus quite a lor of fruit and veg. If I'm careful I should manage ok.
    April Grocery Challenge: 80/64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
  • rosieben
    Lamb Tikka in the recipe list, thanks kitchenbunny

Hello all the new challengers and good luck

My only spend so far is the sainsbugs delivery on 31st which I'm counting as a spend from this year's budget; no expected spends this week as I have full cupboards and freezer and everything in for the weeks meal plan, in fact probably got most things in for next 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm making soup tomorrow and freezing a few portions for filling wintry weather lunches and I'll make some rolls to go with it.

Have a good day everyone, and safe travelling for those still dealing with snow and ice.

Last edited by rosieben; 03-01-2010 at 5:38 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Changingme
    hAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
    Can I please put down for a budget of 240 this is the target that I have to get to .Need meat for freezer so will try the butcher at weekend as have shopped for this week and spent 63.08
    Save 4500 in 2014
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 3rd Jan 10, 5:42 PM
    • 3,732 Posts
    • 19,533 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Just a small 11.12 spent yesterday on grocerys. The wife got some good bargains, I think she does better when I stay home!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 0/30 / EF Challenger #3 514.56/5000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter