MSE Megashopbot.com website: Discuss the MegaShopbot

Options
Former_MSE_Dan
Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 9 July 2018 at 11:30AM in Shop but don't drop
The MegaShopBot tool has now been closed. The technology used for the site was relatively old and we've had to make the tough decision for our small development team to focus on more popular parts of the MSE site.

Please see our Cheap Online Shopping guide for help finding the best prices online.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-online-shopping-shopbots/
Former MSE team member

Comments

• dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 December 2009 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Searched for Acer Aspire 5410 Timeline 3GB 250GB 15.6" Laptop and cheapest price was £384.

Tesco have it for £349 and was not found.

Not very money saving.

Tried google as stand alone and product was listed so obviously MegaShopBot.com

is restricted somehow .
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dogmaryxx wrote: »
    Searched for Acer Aspire 5410 Timeline 3GB 250GB 15.6" Laptop and cheapest price was £384.

Tesco have it for £349 and was not found.

Not very money saving.

Tried google as stand alone and product was listed so obviously MegaShopBot.com

is restricted somehow .

There is no reason for that to happen we're simply auto-searching the shopbots - thank you for reporting it - we will check it out and see if we can recreate what happened and fix it. You may get a PM from one of my team asking for some technical details

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Options
    Hey dogmaryxx,

When I did that search and picked the Google Products tab, Tesco at £349 came up as a Sponsored Result - was this not the case for you?

Thanks for the help

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • dogmaryxx
    Options
    I searched using select all as most people would and price was not returned from Tesco. Just repeated same with similar result.
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 December 2009 at 4:38PM
    Options
    OK thanks - what internet browser (eg. IE7) and operating system (eg. Windows XP) are you using?

By the way - this is what we are seeing here

Untitled-2222.gif
    Former MSE team member
  • dogmaryxx
    edited 2 December 2009 at 4:28PM
    Options
    60496857.th.png IE8 XP

Using select all search engines
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Options
    Thanks dogmaryxx,

If you click the grey/green tab that says Google at the top of the display window in your screenshot, you should hopefully see what we saw in the screenshot i posted above
    Former MSE team member
  • dogmaryxx
    Options
    Understand now. Results are not listed from combined search but only for individual search engines. Not that impressed then, may just as well google in the first place.
  • Gwynlewis
    Options
    Tried it yesterday and found Professor Layton and the Curious Village for £12.85 including P+p. The best my usual checkers (Pricerunner and Kelkoo) could do was £19.97 and £19.99 respectively. And it's coming tomorrow, Royal Mail permitting. Brilliant.
  • SparciaM
    SparciaM Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Tried it today to find a Wii game and it couldn't find it. Tried with a brand new DVD and couldn't find it. Tried with an old CD Album and couldn't find it.

I think I'll stick to Kelkoo and searching the web manually. Was a complete waste of time.

Nice-ish interface though!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport