Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rosieben
    November 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Oct 09, 10:30 AM
    November 2009 Grocery Challenge 28th Oct 09 at 10:30 AM
    Pink is having problems with her internet connection at the moment, so Helen and I have been asked to start the November Grocery Challenge.

Welcome to the November 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your October budget, then keep on posting in the October 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read post #5 on this thread.

For the Grocery Challenge recipe index please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great October and good luck to everyone who's taking part!

Pink, Helen and Rosieben
    Last edited by rosieben; 28-10-2009 at 1:47 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Page 31
  • Winged one
    I spent more than I expected at the weekend, but we were entertaining for dinner and it;s another mad week at work. I will come in OK though, just not as below budget as I'd hoped.

We were in Lidl though, which wasn't expected, as we were buying teh wine for dinner (we've found a few bottles at the 5.50 mark which are very nice so no more 10 a bottle for us), and got ourselves the Christmas crackers (4) and a couple of spare packs of parma ham (we do use this a lot) and loads of cheese with long dates. So spent about 50 there (receipts are at home, and did include 5 bottles wine) and about 70 on regular supermarket shop.

This week though, I have things to use up and have a day off work (on strike - despite voting no) so will have time to concoct a slow-cook dinner and a few spare ready-mades then.
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th Nov 09, 11:12 AM
    • 27,563 Posts
    • 117,434 Thanks
    candygirl
    Im having another nsd day today, amd am making spicy carrot n lentil soup n chana masalaStill need to empty cupboards for next week so am not buying anything
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 18th Nov 09, 12:46 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Just updated my signature with todays shopping - 66.20 so pleased. I should come in under budget this month which would have been impossible this time last year before I joined this forum I could spend less I suppose if I only bought the food to make meals with but the kids all eat chocolate biscuits, biscuits, crisps and lots of fruit (to balance out the rubbish!). I've experimented with making all sweet snacks but it seems to cost more so I bake a few things each week (muffins, weetabix cake, Twinks hobnobs & the odd victoria sandwich cake) and supplement the bought stuff this way.

It's interesting how we all spend our budgets - some of us buy snack foods, some buy takeaways & some stock pile - but the main thing is that we're all trying to keep control over it all

Kerfuffle Have you had a look at the Menu Planning thread for ideas? Here is this weeks and a new one usually starts on Thursdays - thanks to Penny Pincher getting us all going! I have got loads of ideas from it and people are always pleased to share recipes & ideas.
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Nov 09, 12:54 PM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    Just back from my last visit to Mr S until the 30th November.(Insert determined face smiley) It has to be there is no money left in the budget and I have meal planned for a fortnight with what I have in the freezer and cupboards.

Spent 12.55 but got a 75p refund at cust services for some wine gums I bought last week that went through at full price and should have been half price I also got some points added on for when DH paid and I didnt have my loyalty card.

I did spend a bit more than I expected but bought a box of surf with a 1/3 off as it seemed a better deal than the tablets I was going to buy. DH also decided he needed some more shaving foam this morning and I bought some crisps because he had my last 1 this morning to get some at work out of the machine at 50p packet. Double

The basics onions were good at 59p as there is a lot and for once they are a good size.
    October Grocery Challenge - 122.00/220
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th Nov 09, 1:13 PM
    • 27,563 Posts
    • 117,434 Thanks
    candygirl
    Aaaarghh I ended up going to Morrisons and spending 21, but have come back with enough stuff to last till next weekHave just made a massive chick pea n spinach curry that's gonna last for days
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
  • rosieben
    Sorry to hear about all the poorlies, hope you're all feeling better soon; hope the rain stops soon too :rolleyes:

I'll be shopping tomorrow for meat and a couple of bits I forgot on yesterday's mrT order my budget is totally gone this month, but I'm checking stocks and just about got my kitchen and store cupboard organised now so I can get back to meal planning for next month. I need to think about christmas food shopping too, so far I've bought a jar of cranberry sauce

Take care
    Last edited by rosieben; 18-11-2009 at 8:17 PM. Reason: there is a T in kitchen ;)

• scotsaver
    Hi everyone - well I've updated my total after my spends today, been to the new Morrisons and was really impressed, laid out really well and the fruit, meat and fish counters all looked great.

Picked up a few of their offers like Pringles 1.99, buy 1 get 2 free, Ragu 1.65 buy 1 get 2 free (usually make my own but at that price you can't go wrong), Dowe egberts 200g coffee at 2 for 6, Crunchy nut cornflakes less than half price at 1, Cadbury choc fingers BOGOF. Also picked up some fruit, veg etc and was overall really pleased.

After trying to cram everything into cupboards, freezer etc I now realise we will have to eat out of the Freezer between now and middle of December when I want to stock up for Xmas so have meal planned around what we have in there.

Dinner tonight is Pasta with a HM tomato sauce (keeping the Ragu's for when the kids have friends over) and a nice bowl of salad, need to use up baby plum tomatoes I bought in Lidl last week when they were on special.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• huston_kw
    • By huston_kw 18th Nov 09, 3:47 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    huston_kw
    I'm having a NSD today (ill) and I've joined the store cupboard thread, so spent so far this month 160ish.

We had tomato pasta dish for lunch and we having fish, potatoes & peas for tea with HM apple & blackberry crumble and custard for dessert.

• Jevvers
    • By Jevvers 18th Nov 09, 5:02 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    Jevvers
    A rare NSD for me, hurrah! Made twinks with DS which turned out great and made bread but I obviously put in far too much water because it turned out really soggy. However, rather than waste it I have made dumplings out of the middle and used the bottom crust to line a pie dish. I'm going to fill it with some hotpot out of the freezer with some added stock and stick the dumplings on top. Bit off piste, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Oh and I received a 35 cheque from doing some market research last month so I'm up on the day
    Mortgage 1: 243,034 0.99%, i/o, ends May 2026 MFW date 20 Aug 2020
    Mortgage 2: 166,966 159,066 0.99%, repaymt, ends Oct 2033
    Total: 402,100
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 18th Nov 09, 5:19 PM
    • 10,808 Posts
    • 56,813 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    I fell off the wagon a while ago. Dont think I have joined in much since my family went in different directions, nearly 7 months ago!. I did a search for the thread,as I need to curb my expenses. Remembered that there are brilliant recipes etc here. So plenty of reading ahead for me again!
    Realised that I havent had a proper shop in months. Its been grab it when in the shops helping the twins!. Means that I have lost the plot completely, and most of the spending has been on the twins. I was in Iceland this week for twin1, (she is ill) and spent 23.50. But only 3.00 of that was for me. That was Squash, eggs an gravy granuales!!
    I am beginning to run out of the most used items, soy sauce, tomato puree, tinned beans, tinned tomatoes, frozen veg, mince, etc etc. So its going to be thinking out of the box and hoping that I can do a bit of a store cupboard challenge too.Will join in in December. I think. But will tag along for the rest of the month for some much needed inspiration.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Jevvers
    • By Jevvers 18th Nov 09, 5:24 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    Jevvers
    By the way when in tesco yday buying hobnob ingredients I noticed that 500g of their own brand oats were 42p, which is cheaper per kg than the 1kg bags at 99p.
    Mortgage 1: 243,034 0.99%, i/o, ends May 2026 MFW date 20 Aug 2020
    Mortgage 2: 166,966 159,066 0.99%, repaymt, ends Oct 2033
    Total: 402,100
  • oneeyedandgreen
    Spent 1.34 in Aldi on lettuce, spring onions and apples.
    Then also spent 7.84 in Somerfield. Mostly stuff for lunches but also got cereal and Ben and Jerrys(Half price).

NSD on Saturday and Sunday as it was far too windy and wet to go outside. Spent 3 on oven pizza yesterday as I had a really long day.

Also spent 2.50 on coffees at uni this week as I've had very long days

Will update sig now
    December GC 23.43/120
    Nationwide Overdraft 1136, Natwest Overdraft 1800(interest free), Natwest Credit Card 155/350
    Aim to clear overdrafts by Summer 2010
    Saving for Elective 0 so far!
  • elizabunny
    Just wanted to update...........

I managed to prepare and freeze another huge bag of apple chunks today -as I was too lazy yesterday. I also made an apple cake (butterfly muffins still on hold) The beef stew was gorgeous and I topped it off with some cobblers, there was enough for dinner tonight and some for the freezer.

I also made an experimental Banana & Honey Bread Pudding because I had a quarter of a stale loaf. I used:-

3 Slices of Stale Bread, buttered on one side. and cut into quarters
    2 Bananas Sliced ( I would dip these in lemon juice next time because they went a bit brown
    2 Eggs
    Half Pint Milk
    Vanilla Essence to taste
    Honey ( I would also add a bit of sugar next time as this pud was not very sweet)
    Grated Nutmeg

First I buttered a fairly deep bowl, then I put in a layer of buttered bread, followed by a layer of sliced bananas and a good squeeze of honey over the top. I added another layer of buttered bread and then the remaining sliced banana with another good squeeze of honey. I then beat the eggs and the vanilla essence into the milk and poured this gently all over the bread, bananas and honey. I grated nutmeg on the top and let the pud. stand for about 45 minutes and then popped into the centre of a medium hot oven (150 c fan oven). It took about 45 minutes to become all golden and crispy on the top, but my oven can be a bit slow at times. It tasted lovely though, could just have been a bit sweeter I think.
    Last edited by elizabunny; 18-11-2009 at 6:04 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • rosieben
    Banana and Honey Bread pudding now in index elizabunny, sounds scrummy!

• Kerfuffle
    • By Kerfuffle 18th Nov 09, 7:35 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 11,554 Thanks
    Kerfuffle
    *Snip
    Kerfuffle Have you had a look at the Menu Planning thread for ideas? Here is this weeks and a new one usually starts on Thursdays - thanks to Penny Pincher getting us all going! I have got loads of ideas from it and people are always pleased to share recipes & ideas.
    Originally posted by SunnyGirl
    Hi SunnyGirl,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've seen the Menu Planning Thread previously and it does give lots of great ideas and recipes. Unfortunately on this occasion we're mostly eating stuff that is already made (by me - not shop bought) and frozen so there isn't much room for manouvre. But thankyou again, I'm always open to new ideas.

*Snip

I also made an experimental Banana & Honey Bread Pudding because I had a quarter of a stale loaf. Snip*
    Originally posted by elizabunny
    Hi elizabunny,

This recipes sounds great, I love it when I see a new recipe and I've already got all the ingredients .

Thanks
    Sealed Pot Challenge 12 #58
    2019 - The Year of the Shopping Ban.
    No wants, just needs.
    24011.00/6484.24
    150lbs/152.6
  • helen jelly
    I fell off the wagon a while ago. Dont think I have joined in much since my family went in different directions, nearly 7 months ago!. I did a search for the thread,as I need to curb my expenses. Remembered that there are brilliant recipes etc here. So plenty of reading ahead for me again!
    Realised that I havent had a proper shop in months. Its been grab it when in the shops helping the twins!. Means that I have lost the plot completely, and most of the spending has been on the twins. I was in Iceland this week for twin1, (she is ill) and spent 23.50. But only 3.00 of that was for me. That was Squash, eggs an gravy granuales!!
    I am beginning to run out of the most used items, soy sauce, tomato puree, tinned beans, tinned tomatoes, frozen veg, mince, etc etc. So its going to be thinking out of the box and hoping that I can do a bit of a store cupboard challenge too.Will join in in December. I think. But will tag along for the rest of the month for some much needed inspiration.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    Hi and welcome back, MrsM is indisposed at the mo so Rosieben and I are helping out. Looking forward to hearing from you again in December, take care Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

just made up sandwiches for lunch, forgot to defrost soup last night so not able to carry in the thermos flask.

did not go to shops yesterday but will really have to go today, haven't a spot of milk left.

Thanks to Sheba for suggestions re losing posts. Will try them.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • PrincessMort
    Have totally lost the plot this month and not even sure what I've spent. Think I'm still under 200 but got another weeks shopping to do yet. However I was well under budget last month so I've had to stock up a lot this month, so I will see it as 'balancing' rather than failure :rolleyes:

Still have full-ish freezer, 2 packs of mince, sausages, bacon, some fish, frozen veg, icecream etc but the problem is last month we virtually lived on mince, sausages + bacon so now I'm really sick of them and cant bring myself to cook them, which means I keep popping into the shops for something to cook that day! Think I need to look at the recipes for some inspiration.
    Sept GC lost track/160

Oct GC /160
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th Nov 09, 7:59 AM
    • 3,406 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    XSpender
    Forgot to mention yesterday that I bought some of Mr S 1% milk yesterday to try watering down as I only really like skimmed. I have watered a pint down with just under half water and it is still a bit too 'milky' so will water the next pint down a bit further. Plus DH hasn't even noticed

Thanks for the tip I picked up on this thread
    October Grocery Challenge - 122.00/220
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 19th Nov 09, 8:34 AM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl

Thanks for the tip I picked up on this thread
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Talking of tips from this thread I've been experimenting with cutting my dishwasher tablets in half and it's worked. It wouldn't work for liquitabs though The 'old fashioned' tablets are much cheaper anyway
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

729Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter