Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Aug 09, 2:51 PM
    October 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Aug 09 at 2:51 PM
    Welcome to the October 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read post #5 on this thread.

For the Grocery Challenge recipe index please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great October and good luck to everyone who's taking part!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-09-2009 at 4:43 PM.
Page 19
  • Nomoneymummy
    New here and trying to change my shopping ways! Work in the local corner shop so tend to be picking things up constantly in work and wasting money!!! We have a diary for staff buys and it just comes out of wages at the end of the week and all too often I'm coming home with less than a 5 as I've spent the rest in work... Its opposite the house AND kids school so its way too easy to nip in for little bits and bobs and it builds up!!!

Right please put me down for 320.... hoping to come in under!!!
    Have managed on a minimal shopping week (yup picking stuff up from work!) so so far I'm 60 into that.... then its the farm on saturday for a big fruit and veg stock up and pumpkin picking with the children!!

Fingers crossed I may kick this lazy habit and take a walk up to the butchers/ farm shops and save some money!
  • Nomoneymummy
    Evening everyone

Tonight's tea was a bit disappointing - it was a recipe from Prima using sausages, onions, tinned tomatoes, garam masala and coriander with butter beans.... I have to admit I hated the butter beans and left all mine! Next time I think I'll just put in a tin of baked beans.
    Originally posted by TheBees
    I have an american recipe for sausage bean stew that comes out lovely every time..... I leave out the mixed beans and use 2 tins baked beans (the value ones work really well in this btw!)

Kids love this, hubby loves this and I love the leftover beany mix (if there is any!) on toast for lunch the next day!

Serves: 4
    Cost: < 1.50 per serving
    Prep time: 5 minutes, Cooking time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
    * 8 small sausages
    * 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    * can chopped tomatoes
    * can baked beans
    * can mixed beans, drained
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 200ml chicken or vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube and boiling water
    * black pepper

Method:

* Heat the oil and fry the sausages until brown all over.
    * Put the sausages and all the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and season.
    * Bring to the boil, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minnutes
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 7th Oct 09, 12:07 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    At last ! have reached the end of October thread!! Just got back from 2 weeks in Greece in the early hours so feeling pretty shattered!

OH went to shops for bread & milk but we will go to Mr M shortly for a few more bits & pieces.

Had a check to see what we needed and frankly could barely make up a list - the freezer and cupboards are so full so decided to take out some chicken stock and frozen leeks and make soup ( we are freezing after the high temps on hols!!) Neither of us really knows what we want to eat after 2 weeks of eating out (and quite frankly I want to ease back in to cooking )

I did laugh at myself when looking through the freezer - had forgotton I had shoved in lots of bits before we went away rather than throw them out - like 2 eating apples, a cooking apple and a bag of plums! and 2 batches of Twink's hobnobs.

Brought back my usual variety of herbs and spices which I do use a lot in my cooking and some Greek cheese and olives and better still it came out of the holiday money not the grocery budget

Have enjoyed catching up with the thread and great to see lots of newbies too.

• skilly
    • By skilly 7th Oct 09, 12:30 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    hi all,spent 1.14 today on bread rolls.made some nice lentil soup for lunch.we are living out of the freezer at moment but it still looks full.i keep thinking i need to go shopping but i keep telling myself think off the nsd lol.
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3496/4706.75/5 376.74/6 645.08/ 7 861.34 /8 786.90/9610.49/10 722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Oct 09, 1:44 PM
    • 27,563 Posts
    • 117,434 Thanks
    candygirl
    Am full of cold, so am having a duvet day today, so also a NSDMight make some scrummy lentil soup later, as the potato n leek one is nearly finished
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 7th Oct 09, 3:06 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Well so much for not needing much at the shops! Spent 15.43 in Aldi and 23.91 in Mr M Shoe horned what I could into the freezer, the rest, of the fresh meat anyway, I will cook tonight. So total for the month is now 59.04 out of projected budget of 120.............mmmmmmmmmm

OH is a bit obsessed with buying bacon (which he loves) when he sees a good bargain, as a result we now have 8 packs in the freezer and 1 in the fridge but at least we won't need any until about December!!

• nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 7th Oct 09, 3:59 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Yet more money spent today:rolleyes:.
    Spent 35 in mr T's and 20 in mr M's - been stocking up on offers again. I just coludnt help myself. I've now got enough beans to last me a lifetime. Also re-stcked our freezer as it was getting a little sparse. Hopefully we've got enough in for the next 10-14 days excluding fresh veg, fruit, milk and bread, not holding my breath tho after coming in way under budget last month its all bound to go belly up this month:rolleyes:
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - another NSD for me today.

Dinner tonight is a HM Tomato and mozzarella pasta bake thingy that I've thrown together, will serve it with a nice bowl of salad and HM coleslaw.

Have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• millienjacksmummy
    only a small spend yesterday (6.01 at local shop) needed to get baking stuff as volunteered to make cakes for friends fund raising at weekend!

Doing well - made chicken pie with leftovers (yummy HM shortcrust pastry even kids liked it)
    Cottage pie with leftover roast beef for freezer
    Yummy chicken and roast veg soup with leftovers

Freezer is full to bursting! but starting to use frozen leftovers like mashed potatoes rather than chill I put in a bag and generally 2/3 bags of mash leftovers can be defrosted for a full meal so am enjoying this!!

Need to redo shopping list for Friday but probabaly only need fruit veg milk bread and a joint of meat for SUnday

Very busy at work so thats keeping me out of the shops and the only purchase I made was for a pampered chef muffin tray but my mum bought it for me for my burthday so that doesnt count!
    Just got to keep this motivation going!

Have a good evening all
    Sam
    Sep GC - 465/400:rolleyes: Oct GC - 401/400 Nov GC - 291.32/400
    • scotmumof3
    • By scotmumof3 7th Oct 09, 6:02 PM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 13,910 Thanks
    scotmumof3
    3.00 spend for me today on toiletries in asda but saved 1.00 on them as they were a multibuy. Going to try to have a couple of NSD (never managed before ) heres hoping.
    LHS #217 DFW#1421
    debt free day 29th October 2020
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Oct 09, 6:31 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Week one is now over and I have managed to spend only 3.50 so far. I'll NEED to go and get some basic essentials tomorrow, but will be wearing blinkers and walking straight past everything that isn't on the list.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • TheBees
    Thanks Nomoneymummy for your recipe. I'll definitely be trying that next time.

Tonight's tea was savoury mince which I cooked in the SC all day with a couple handfulls of oats as usual. I put half in the freezer for another day and tonight we had the other half with sliced potato on top. Very tasty.

NSD number 3 for me today and probably another one tomorrow as I work all day.

Some good news - just been offered 10 hours (2 evening shifts) in a local supermarket for 3 months. I'm probably going to be shattered as I already do 20 hours during the day in a school but the extra money will be VERY useful.

Wishing everyone lots of luck with the challenge
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • plzhelpmesave!
    • By plzhelpmesave! 7th Oct 09, 6:45 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    plzhelpmesave!
    5.50 for me today!
    3 on fresh lovely sausages on the way home as kids begging for hot dogs today!
    2.50 for hot lunch - I know it's not very moneysaving but only work one day a week and planned to have a jacket potato today - but they had none left! took my filling from home (doing WW and needed to know how many points) so had the cheapest hot option!
    Will try EXTRA hard to have a NSD tomorrow - have lots of milk, bread, fruit & cheese so don't actually neeed anything
  • jinky67
    15.56 in MrT's today buying a few top up items
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 7th Oct 09, 8:22 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Went to Sainsburys today as found a lovely duvet cover on their site and hoped to get it, but they didn't have any left Now need to decide whether I want to pay for delivery...grr.

Picked up a few bits, but hardly any 'food'. Got some bread rolls and had one for lunch, some shampoo and conditioner (Herbal Essences on offer, i'm stopping using cheaper S&C as it's ruining my hair), some shaving gel and Sainsburys magazine as I always read it when I go and see my sister. 6.67 spent, but only 65p on 'food'! Will include the whole figure in my total though and see how it goes.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Oct 09, 8:39 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 36,675 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Sorry folks, but I won't be carrying on with the challenge. Have a read of this weeks dailies if you want any more info, and thanks for the company so far.

Jayne x
    • cw18
    • By cw18 7th Oct 09, 8:42 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Jayne - went for a quick nosey, and just wanted to send you HUUUUUGE (((hugs)))
    Cheryl
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 7th Oct 09, 9:25 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Sorry to hear your news Cranky. Anything I say will be wildly useless, but please accept a virtual hug from me as well.

*hug*
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • 666paw
    • By 666paw 7th Oct 09, 9:30 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    666paw
    Another spend today of 11.47.
    7.47 in Mr A & 4.00 in Butchers

12 NSDs out of 19.

Really hoping I can do it this month and good luck to everyone.

P.
    MFI3 T3 # 75
  • jackieglasgow
    Mr T spend, no whoopsies or anything. 30.67. Still need to add the weekends receipt, think they're about 15. Nothing else to report. Just realised I'm only on day 9!!!
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

6,567Users online

Martin's Twitter