October 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 September 2009 at 5:43PM in Old Style MoneySaving
890 replies 51.4K views

Replies

• chocolatebumchocolatebum Forumite
    334 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    another wee shop in M's yesterday, spent £16.37 on bits and bobs to get us through to friday
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • Eltee12Eltee12 Forumite
    768 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Managed 2 NSDs so far for October - quite an achievement for us. Have spent £130.30 from £450 guesstimate budget. OH thinks I've lost it cos I keep demanding receipts if he goes shopping on his own!

Am in the middle of Summer/Autumn-Winter clothes changeover and discovered lots of clothes/boots I forgot I had bought in the sales earlier this year so have also set myself a 6 month challenge:
    I-will-not-buy-myself-any-clothes-or-footwear w.e.f. NOW
    (I still have a few quid on a gift card I got for my birthday so am not counting that!)

LT
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • Trying for a NSD today and maybe stretch it til tomorrow, then hopefully some forward thinking shopping and meal plans and I may be able to make a full week of NSD's...
    Going to a wholesale meat place again near the hubbys work that someone in the farm shop recommended to do a big stock up of the chest freezer,

Last time I went there were some stray kittens hanging about and I've not been able to get it out of my head now the weather is getting colder (3 weeks ago!) not sure if I may take the cat basket up and take them home..... asked the lady on the till last time and they'd been feeding them but no sign of mum or anything.... really not sure what to do???

Has gone to play on her own little world for a bit..... but its ok the voices in her head came too so she's not alone ;)
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Mr Ms last night, as DS1 was on a final call back for his football refereeing course at college.

Got everything on my list plus a few whoopsies and still came home with money.

I only took cash enough to pay for what I needed plus a couple of £ in case of whoopsies.

Well chuffed, will be going there again.
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 21)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Jayne

My deepest condolances to you and your family, words seem so useless at a time like this but if you need anything, even to let out your anger or sorrow then please, please feel free to PM me.

Love and best wishes to you
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Sorry folks, but I won't be carrying on with the challenge. Have a read of this weeks dailies if you want any more info, and thanks for the company so far.

Jayne x

Jayne, I'm so sorry to hear your news, don't know what else to say except I'm sending hugs for you and George xxxx
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an american recipe for sausage bean stew that comes out lovely every time.....

Thanks for the recipe Nmm, I've added it to the front page list ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Had a leftover drama this evening and nearly gave my some HM kitten food over his pasta as bolognese!!!!!!!! will have to get some labels!!!!!!!

1/2 family had pasta ,pesto and cheese other half had oven chips,fishfingers,corn,peas. Everyone had fruit and an ice lolly later.

Tomorrow is pasta and meatballs from the freezer and sat lunch is egg,chips and beans as I made too many chips and popped the cooked ones in the fridge.

Have had 2 nsd this week and have been at uni on a training course all week next to the shopping centre and I have popped to post office and the garage for fuel without shopping.....

Have 2 black bananas in the freezer for the banana and lemon drizzle icing cake which I'll make at the weekend.Also a packet mix for vanilla muffins which I'll add some odd's and sod's of frozen fruit left in my ziploc bags.

I am going remote next week so OH is in charge......OMG .......so I've menu planned for him and the kids but the kid's will have canteen lunches for 3 days which is against my MSE views.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sending thoughts and condolences to Jayne and family (Cranky40), so sorry to hear your devastating news.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • ToonieToonie Forumite
    781 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne, I'm so sorry to hear your news, you and George are in my thoughts.

I've just caught up with the thread as I've been ill for the past week, so not really been with it as far as grocery shopping goes, though my BF has done quite well and kept all the receipts and we've mostly ate out of the freezer. Made a yummy soup yesteday, recipe to follow later, and today we're having sausage rolls and baked beans. Will update total for the month later when I've gone through the receipts for my spreadsheet.
    March Grocery Challenge: £84.69/£170
    20 20s for 2020
    3/20 New books read
    2/20 Classics read
    4/20 New albums listened to