We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Totally disgusted

Options

Comments

• smashedbooboo
    smashedbooboo Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Just to put my bit in. I sometimes work in the GP surgery at a barracks. When i am there i am able to eat in the canteen along with army personnel. They may have to pay for their own food but honestly the canteen does not charge a fortune. It really is minimal and you generally get a very good meal. Especially if you choose from the Core Menu. I have never seen a soldier go hungry. Or do without their beer. Trust me, I have seen many a green face on a friday morning sick parade. And a Monday morning. And when the lads and lasses are away they do not have to pay for their food. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »

On Ops and Exersizes the situation is totally different, food is provided for soliders - back to a minimal charge taken at source (IIRC).

That is incorrect during Ops and Exercises Food is Free
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    lee634 wrote: »
    That is incorrect during Ops and Exercises Food is Free

Cheers Lee, been that long since I did an Ex I couldnt remember properly, nonetheless the point stands at no time should a soldier or other member of the forces go hungry other than through their own financial mismanagement and possible embaressment of having to sign the hungry soldier book at the scoff house.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • Colliefrog
    Colliefrog Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    In my opinion it is a better way of doing things. Not everyone wants to eat breakfast, and sometimes the lads/lasses may wanna nip out for a takeaway. At least with PAYD you can choose where you wanna eat and not have to pay for a meal that you're not gonna eat.
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Cheers Lee, been that long since I did an Ex I couldnt remember properly, nonetheless the point stands at no time should a soldier or other member of the forces go hungry other than through their own financial mismanagement and possible embaressment of having to sign the hungry soldier book at the scoff house.

Totally agree, whilst Pay As You Dine (PAYD) is not quite what a lot of guys expected, no Service person will every go hungry, unless they can't be arsed going to the cookhouse
  • mummyof2angels
    Options
    Im not quite understanding where er indoors gets her ideas from. I happen to think that PAYD is a good system, and it is still extremely cheap! It is a good way to teach the young lads new to the army to be able to budget for simple lifes essentials such as food. If they were not to pay for their own food who should be expected to cover that cost? My husband is a serving soldier and currently deployed in Iraq. In the case of married soldiers how would you expect to pay for their meals? Send them an allowence to put towards the families shopping budget? Or maybe take them away from their families for even longer so they can eat their meals in the cookhouse? Im sorry but your idea is completely ridiculous.
    While yes I agree that soldiers do deserve more benifits as a reward for the job they do, I dont think removing the cost of £1.50 per meal will really make that much difference to most soldiers. Just my opinion.
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    Is this thread a wind up, grown adults paying for their own food, shock horror? Course if the MOD did want to feed my husband free of charge that would leave more money for clothes and tat around the house ...... hmmmmm, petition??????
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • leeburgess
    leeburgess Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    A petition has been made and is waiting for be approved.
  • ICATQ
    ICATQ Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    I live on a PAYD Unit. Lunch is £1.60 ish which is a main course, and dinner is £1.60 ish (cant remember exact cost) which is three course, fruit juice or soup, what is called a core meal and then a cold or hot sweet.

The total cost of the three meals is the same as it would cost if the Unit is non PAYD so there is equality across all Units. ie under £5 a day. Not the earth.

If I lived in my own house would you still expect the MoD to pay for my food? If you can swing it for free food you would get my vote !!

There is an issue with younger members of the services spending all their money on non food items. Cant speak for the Army or Navy but in basic RAF training they are taught to budget. Been said its a bit more grown up.

Food on exercises and deployments is free, not sure where we would buy it from anyway, and for one i would not be happy eating pizza or burgers for 6 months, although I know some would be !!
  • leeburgess
    leeburgess Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    ICATQ wrote: »
    I live on a PAYD Unit. Lunch is £1.60 ish which is a main course, and dinner is £1.60 ish (cant remember exact cost) which is three course, fruit juice or soup, what is called a core meal and then a cold or hot sweet.

The total cost of the three meals is the same as it would cost if the Unit is non PAYD so there is equality across all Units. ie under £5 a day. Not the earth.

If I lived in my own house would you still expect the MoD to pay for my food? If you can swing it for free food you would get my vote !!

There is an issue with younger members of the services spending all their money on non food items. Cant speak for the Army or Navy but in basic RAF training they are taught to budget. Been said its a bit more grown up.

Food on exercises and deployments is free, not sure where we would buy it from anyway, and for one i would not be happy eating pizza or burgers for 6 months, although I know some would be !!

Thanks for your reply, My fiancee is on her phase 2 training and now has to pay £9 a day just for food which I really dont think is on at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport