Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Feb 09, 12:12 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Feb 09, 12:12 PM
    25th Feb 09 at 12:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Page 16
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Mar 09, 12:10 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,756 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....thankyou mrs snowy and kezlou for thoughts on tins..im going to pop into wilcos this afternoon and have a look but in the meantime im going to do a tray bake and cut up.....why didnt i think of that

im disappointed today...i thought id worked out the coops reducing system...sad soul that i am and iv been back twice this week and missed everything i wanted...so back to the drawing board with that

for keen gardeners sr@rbucks give away free coffee grounds..i was in there yesterday getting my free coffee and saw them the nice girl also insisted in putting said grounds in a snazzy paper bag....not bad for a total spend of no pounds

aldi have there 6 things back for 69p...grapes mushrooms plums apples sorry cant remember other 2 but they all looked nice today

we are finishing up the chilli for tea tonite then a quiche tomorrow

have a nice day
    tess`
    onwards and upwards
  • Cornishpixie
    I am so with Mr A delivery, I was out when it arrived and when we unpacked it we found that the main reason for the order (breakfast cereal) was totally missing I phoned customer services who were rude and just told me they would refund, when I asked if they could phone the van to see if they could drop it round all they said was they would call the store and hung up on me So I got no cereal which is why I did the flaming order so I will have to go out and get some, this is they second time Mr A have done this and each time the after service was poor so I am not using them anymore! I will update sig later when I have worked out how much it comes to including refund and buying the stuff from Mr T!

Hope everyone has a nice day and not too affected by the snow
    Originally posted by princess leia
    Hi, I can sympathsis, re Mr A delivery my last 2 online shops left a lot to be desired. The former he managed to mix my shop up with someone elses. Luckily I knew and gave him them back and he found mine. The latest he delivered half, then went off with all my chilled and frozen stuff. They didn't bring them back till 735pm. (first half came at 1035am) . So despite not being able to drive yet I have said never again. I will just shop in town with a list.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 5th Mar 09, 12:20 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 85,994 Thanks
    cw18
    aldi have there 6 things back for 69p...grapes mushrooms plums apples sorry cant remember other 2 but they all looked nice today
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    salad potatoes were there. think the other was oranges :confused:

none of them are anything we use except the mushrooms, and I normally stock up on them in Whoopsie for less than 69p a tub. Back in January a friend picked my up a huuuuuge tub for a couple of quid from her local market, and I'm still working through them (froze most of them - some whole, some sliced, some chopped)
    Cheryl
  • GC81
    I'm back from shopping my first real spend into my March challenge. I wanted to hold off until sunday but with the use of the courtesy car and only 1 dd in tow I've done it today.
    £36.00 in Icelands, £5.56 in Wilko's (yeah found stardrops!) and £15.03 in Tesco.
    So total today of £56.59
    I wanted to get it to £50 but brought some whoopsied toilet rolls, co-co pops and other bits so that's ok as they would be things I wanted next shop anyway.
    Havent got an excuse for the toffee cheesecake though
    Hopefully apart from the milk/veg I dont want to go again until next sunday. Fingers crossed

March's running total so far is £58.01 / £200 with 22days left for me.
  • rosieben
    i need some help to find a cake tin...i want to make little loaf shape cakes for ds lunches..loafes 1 inch wide and 2 inches long ish if anyone knows where i can get one please let me know...thanx
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    do a search on ebay for 'mini loaf tins' - there are several types and sizes for sale.

there's also a 'mini loaf pan tray' here

procrastinator - sending positive thoughts your way; hang in there! I found the GC was such a help when I had a bad day, and there's so much support on here
    Last edited by rosieben; 05-03-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • LittleGemSaver
    I went shopping last night to Asda & spent £4.22 not bad for my first shop of the month!
    I bought 2 for £1 sharwoods naan bread mixes(these will make 5 naans a packet) warburtons granary bread mix on offer 39p, 3x2 litre dilute juice £2.50 & some naplina olive oil which is on special offer for 500ml for £2.
    I also got a few other bits & because me & my other half share the basic shopping items but budget seperately so it came to £8.45/2= £4.22 each

This means I've got £80 - £4.22 = £75.78 left for the month
    Plus I wont need to go shopping until the weekend now GO ME!
    GC march £80 budget/£1.67 left
    GC April £80 budget/£54.50 left

was 10st 4lb 20th march 2009 now 9st 12lb
    Owner of 4 Michael Jackson tickets for 1st feb 2010!
  • scotsaver
    Hi elizabunny - the Oxtail Stew was delicious, everyone enjoyed it and this afternoon I plan to turn the leftovers into a nice Soup. Shall definitely make it again. I haven't tried Brisket, I'm still trying to get used to the Butchers and the different cuts of meat available and still getting used to the SC as not had it long but shall look into that on next visit. Many thanks.

Dinner tonight will be Oxtail Soup and then Fish, HM Chips and mushy peas. No pudding planned but there are some slices of Weetabix Brownies left so should keep everyone happy.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 5th Mar 09, 1:15 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just made some yummy red pepper, carrot & lentil soup........this makes enough for 4 portions:

1. carrot (medium)- chopped
    2. red (or orange) pepper- chopped.
    3. good handful washed red lentils.
    4. stock cube and water (or HM stock if you have some)
    5. seasoning.
    6. half an onion- chopped.

Fry onion off in olive oil til softened, add the carrots, peppers and lentils. Stir round well and add stock. Bring to gentle boil, then simmer on medium for approx 3/4 hour. Once all veg softened blend together to make smooth. Serve with crusty bread, and a swirl of cream in if you are feeling decadent (or have some leftover!).
    hth someone.
    • turfy6
    • By turfy6 5th Mar 09, 1:28 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    turfy6
    Hi, Not joined in before but would like to give it a go. Always try to spend as little as poss, so Im going to begin with €330 for the first go thats for me DH, DS x2 and DD one dog one cat and 10 hens. Well good luck to everyone
    Last edited by turfy6; 05-03-2009 at 1:31 PM.
    • jessie18
    • By jessie18 5th Mar 09, 1:54 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    jessie18
    Hi everyone, im sorry for being a bit late this month, could i be put down for £230 for March please. Just been to the farm shop and bought all my meat and vegetables, i was really pleased with the prices and quality, so im hoping to get off to a good start. Definitely going to have a good try anyway. Hope everyones doing o.k, will update later
    Sealed Pot Challenge no. 092
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 5th Mar 09, 2:25 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Just thought i'd post the aldi's veg / fruit offers up for you all.

Aldi super six:- all for 69p

Mushrooms 350g
    red grapes 500g
    plums 500g
    oranges 6 pack
    salad potatoes 1kilo
    red apples 6 pack

Its everything we eat so will be buying these tomorrow or tonight no doubt.
    • xx_Jo_xx
    • By xx_Jo_xx 5th Mar 09, 2:42 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 62,609 Thanks
    xx_Jo_xx
    Not Doing Well!!
    I am not doing very well at all - since Ive started trying to save money - I have become totally disorganised and spending even more!! :confused:

Im buying between different shops for better produce/prices etc, but then cos Im in ALL the shops, Im checking out ALL their Offers and ALL their Whoopsies!! Im obsessed and need to stop! Then because Im distracted, I forget things that I actually went in for - like Washing powder & fabric Softener, which means ANOTHER trip to the shop and more temptations!!!

bought a load of lovely bread and rolls (reduced - obviously) and made them up into sandwiches/rolls and froze them individually for little ones packed lunch. Also bought reduced scones, pancakes, crumpets and froze them too!! Freezer is now packed to the gunnells - I couldnt even fir anything into it if I wanted to and I still find myself nosing round to see whats on offer!!!

Ive just read KezLou's post and am sitting thinking " Mmmmm red grapes, 69p" - there is no room in my house for any more food!!!

STOP SPENDING JO!!!! REMEMBER THE POINT OF THE CHALLENGE!!!!!!

Someone tell me off please!!! xx
    Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    I will declutter my house and debts
  • rosieben
    I am not doing very well at all - since Ive started trying to save money - I have become totally disorganised and spending even more!! :confused:
    Originally posted by xx_Jo_xx
    ok and I have only 2 words to say to you ............................

... shopping list!
    Last edited by rosieben; 05-03-2009 at 2:54 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MRSMCAWBER
    ok and I have only 2 words to say to you ............................
    ... shopping list!
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Im sorry -but that little icon made me chuckle -never seen that one before
    XX_jo_XX -I went through a phase of doing similar to you in the begining ... I would pop out almost daily on a "whoopsy" hunt and to pick up any bargains -but I soon realised I often ended up spending more than I needed ...
    I have now reversed it and find that I do decent shop once a month and occasionally twice -then hubby picks up the bits of extras like milk, lettuce etc on his way home (he passes ALDI anyway) although it probably only works as I have a hubby that will only get what is on the list
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • reb
    • By reb 5th Mar 09, 3:24 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    reb

......STOP SPENDING JO!!!! REMEMBER THE POINT OF THE CHALLENGE!!!!!!

Originally posted by xx_Jo_xx
    Consider your hand smacked! LOL!

MMmmmm I am a bit like that. Try to have some no spend days....ie stay away from the shops!! Tis fun. But remember there is nothing wrong with having a store. In my mind it's a really good idea. But you do have to try to not do what you are. Good luck!

And......when you have succeeded tell me how you did it please. LOL! :confused:
    Last edited by reb; 05-03-2009 at 3:26 PM.
    I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
  • jtb2412
    XX_jo_XX can only echo what others have said - shopping list !

Have just been to the butchers and got my meat order for the month. It came to £75 and I've just (out of interest) popped a like-for-like order on the Mr T website and it came out at £77.99 so the butchers is cheaper and much nicer

Now I have everything I need for the month - will only have to do bread, milk and veg top up. Keep repeating to myself "I will not be going to do a main shop again until April" .

I'll adjust sig shortly once I've totted everything up.

TTFN xx
    Weight loss to date 1st 11.5lb
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 5th Mar 09, 3:53 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,756 Thanks
    tessie bear
    [quote=rosieben;19421915]do a search on ebay for 'mini loaf tins' - there are several types and sizes for sale.

there's also a 'mini loaf pan tray' here

thankyou for that...iv just ordered one
    onwards and upwards
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 5th Mar 09, 4:51 PM
    • 10,586 Posts
    • 54,646 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I had my ASDA delivery today. £156.09 But I am hoping that it will last us most of the month, with the stuff that we have in the freezer and the cupboards. Now I must try harder to stop the wastage. With most of us being ill, and then I went away for 5 days, there was food that we had to throw out!! (Why do kids not see whats in the fridge infront of them!).
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Julimk
    Went to Mr T this morning & got some lambís liver, lamb neck fillet, stewing steak & chicken breasts at 1/3 off, so they have gone into the freezer for another time, together with some half price sausagemeat & 3 chunks of paneer, which were 20p each, which I got a couple of days ago.

There was already 2 packs each white fish, smoked fish, sausages, and 1 pack each of mince, stewing steak, turkey breast & chicken breasts in there. And still over 60 HM meal portions! So there really is plenty in!!

Iím half way through my month & not a lot of money left in the budget, but will really only need milk and possibly a couple of other little bits. Did buy some more milk today anyway, and also a couple of litres of the Ďdiscount brandí OJ (48p a litre), petit filous (75p) and a couple of cans of Princeís tuna (half price), sugar & flour.
    • madmittens
    • By madmittens 5th Mar 09, 7:26 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    madmittens
    Hi everyone

Just spent £13.71 in Mr T, on not very much. Good thing there's plenty in the freezer. When are we going to see the effects of deflation that everyone's talking about :confused:

Also spent £4.60 on cat food (forgot to add to siggy!) at the agricultural merchant earlier today - one of the rescue cats is not coping too well with tinned food (and the others won't eat dried food) so I'm trying every brand I possibly can in the hope of finding something that suits him, before I embark on the expensive special-food option.
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

774Posts Today

7,110Users online

Martin's Twitter