Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Kippsy
    Condensed milk
    • 13th Sep 05, 1:46 PM
    Condensed milk 13th Sep 05 at 1:46 PM
    I have a can of condensed milk and a can of evaporated milk in my cupboard.

I know these can both be used for loads of recipes but I can't find any!! I would really like to use up both cans and have ample supplies of most other stuff that might be needed.

Any ideas please!!! And squeaks before you mention it I have checked the index threads... infact I am still checking....

thank you...
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
Page 9
  • Mrs_Pepperpot
    Oohhh didn't know you could freeze???

What a brilliant idea
    Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet...
  • moanymoany
    1. make sure the house is empty.

2. get a spoon.

3. get the tin.

4. enjoy
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Mar 08, 2:48 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Mrs_Pepperpot,

There are loads of ideas for using it up on this older thread so I've added your thread to it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • moanymoany
    I put a post on here and it has - disappeared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found it - threads have been merged!
    Last edited by moanymoany; 22-03-2008 at 5:26 PM.
  • Mrs_Pepperpot
    Yes am torn at the moment between your suggestion and freezing it!

Am waiting to see if my bump feels like something sweet and sickly later on!
    Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet...
    • Swan
    • By Swan 22nd Mar 08, 5:48 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    I'd have to freeze it straight away, otherwise I might just dip a finger in it & before I know it, it'd all be gone
    • pretz
    • By pretz 22nd Mar 08, 9:13 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    pretz
    my fav has to be fudge cake its very sickly though

1 can on condensed milk
    150g butter
    150g light brown sugar (altough i used muscavdo sugar the other day and it still tasted good)
    a few drops of vanilla extract
    sweet shortcrust pastry (although i used normal shortcrust and found it less sickly)

roll out pastry and place in dish, blind bake until golden,
    once cooked take out and leave to cool
    then plce sugar and butter ina pan and melt until sugar as dissolved add a few drops of vanilla extract
    once sugar has dissolved add the condensed milk and stir until completely mixed together and it starts to bubble
    stir it often otherwise it will burn the sugar making it taste bitter
    then pour mixture into the pastry case
    place in fridge till set
    then eat
    very yummy
    pretz
    • pcyam
    • By pcyam 22nd Mar 08, 9:23 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    pcyam
    condensed milk is so nice

add as much condensed milk in a mug, and add hot water , its so yummy. thats if theres any left once the kettles boiled.

instead of butter/jam/peanut butter, put it on bread- it may sound yuck, but its really nice.
  • falady
    What can i do with condensed milk?
    Hi everyone,

I bought a tin of condencsed milk to make some chocolate fudge icing ( I actually needed evaporated milk and didn't realise they were different, but that's another story :rolleyes: ).

I bought the smallest tin I could (397grams) but only needed about a quarter of it. the rest is in a tub in the fridge. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with it?

If possible, it would be great if the ideas were easy, quick things, as I am getting married on saturday , and don't have a lot of time for cooking at the moment! A few friends are coming for lunch on saturday inbetween ceremonies (its complicated - don't ask!) so if there were any ideas which would be suitable for a quick pudding that would be great. Or maybe soimething that could be made then frozen?

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you.

Ali x
    Not Buying It 2015
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 16th Jul 08, 3:24 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    When I was a child my mother used to put it on top of tinned fruit. I quite like it in coffee.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 16th Jul 08, 3:54 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Coconut macaroons I'll add this to the existing thread on condensed milk, so you can see loads more ideas.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • falady
    Thank you penelope penguin!
    Not Buying It 2015
  • Burlesque Babe
    Half a tin of condensed milk....
    ......and a glut of cheap Weetabix..........

I'm looking to use up half a tin of condensed milk....

As well as the glut of weetabix and condensed milk, I also have

huge bag of Value oats
    plain and self raising flour
    a bit of chocolate spread
    single cream
    golden syrup
    eggs
    sugar
    about 4 ounces of butter
    some bits and bobs of dried fruit.........

any thoughts?? I am not feeling well (full of cold) and just wanted a 'chuck it together' kind of recipe if possible.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 12th Oct 08, 3:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Burlesque Babe,

Fifteens are my favourite thing to make with condensed milk:

15 digestive biscuits (crushed)
    15 glace cherries (chopped)
    15 marshmallows (chopped)
    small tin of condensed milk
    dessicated coconut

Mix the biscuits, cherries and marshmallow in a bowl with the condensed milk. Roll into a long sausage shape on greaseproof paper sprinkled with the coconut. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours and then slice.

There's an earlier thread with lots of recipes that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Oct 08, 4:47 PM
    • 40,089 Posts
    • 37,452 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Hi Burlesque Babe,

Fifteens are my favourite thing to make with condensed milk:

15 digestive biscuits (crushed)
    15 glace cherries (chopped)
    15 marshmallows (chopped)
    small tin of condensed milk
    dessicated coconut

Mix the biscuits, cherries and marshmallow in a bowl with the condensed milk. Roll into a long sausage shape on greaseproof paper sprinkled with the coconut. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours and then slice.

There's an earlier thread with lots of recipes that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    Originally posted by Pink-winged
    I'm sure you could substitute weetabix for those digestive biscuits ...

If you have icing sugar and peppermint flavouring then peppermint creams are good for the condensed milk (add icing sugar, more than you think, until the consistency is thick, add peppermint flavouring to taste! Half dipped in melted chocolate is even better.) But that's quite a bit of handling.

then you put the weetabix in weetabix brownies. Possibly another day.

Or dilute the condensed milk and use in any recipe that needs milk and sugar, reducing the sugar a bit. Probably trial and error ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Cornishpixie
    I made microwave tablet in the week. That was good.
    1 can of carnation milk (I used evapourated)
    1lb caster sugar
    2oz butter
    Vanilla extract.
    place all ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
    cook on high for 10 mins. Stir at 3 mins and 7 mins intervals
    remove from oven add few drops vanilla.
    beat hard with wooden spoon.
    pour into greased tray (greaseproof paper lined)
    mark into squares.
    cut when cold.
    enjoy!
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 13th Oct 08, 12:02 AM
    • 7,107 Posts
    • 17,414 Thanks
    Anglea
    Oooh, evaporated milk and codensed. Yummy. Currently got some frozen.

I used to buy them to make a sort of ice cream don't have the recipe to hand, it's way past my bedrime now but i can dig it out if anyone wants it. However, last few times I made it something went wrong. But the first time was heavenly. Nearly ate the lot myself!
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 13th Oct 08, 7:28 AM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    ......and a glut of cheap Weetabix..I'm looking to use up half a tin of condensed milk....As well as the glut of weetabix and condensed milk, I also have
    huge bag of Value oats
    plain and self raising flour
    a bit of chocolate spread
    single cream
    golden syrup
    eggs
    sugar
    about 4 ounces of butter
    some bits and bobs of dried fruit.........any thoughts?? I am not feeling well (full of cold) and just wanted a 'chuck it together' kind of recipe if possible.
    Originally posted by Burlesque Babe
    Crush the weetabix, then use syrup, sugar, flour butter to make Twinks hobnobs
    Don't know but you might be able to experiment by cutting down the amount of sugar and replacing the golden syrup with condensed milk
  • greenpixey
    Leftover condensed milk....
    I've made tablets and chocolate coconut balls, I now got half a tin (200g) of condensed milk left over. Any ideas what I can do with it?
    • wannabe sybil
    • By wannabe sybil 22nd Dec 08, 10:50 AM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    wannabe sybil
    Eat with spoon.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

865Posts Today

6,666Users online

Martin's Twitter