PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Packed lunches

Options

Comments

• crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be wary of eating too many of those noodles. They don't have much "good for you" stuff in them - just lots of refined carbs, usually quite a bit of fat, and lots of salt in the flavouring. you're better off having something wholemeal and with more veg in it.

I usually have:
    sandwiches - peanut butter & banana, cheese & pickle, cheese & tomato (try pitta bread, bagels, etc, as a change from "normal bread"? Use wholemeal bread if poss and don't use butter or marg, you don't really need it)

salads e.g. lettuce, potato (cooked), green beans (cooked) hardboiled egg, french dressing (home made or bought)

cucumber, tomato, few olives, feta cheese, dressing of lemon juice & olive oil (not that cheap, but so so tasty!)

pasta or rice salad e.g. cold rice, chopped tomatoes, parsley or coriander, lemon juice & oil - similarly with chickpeas

couscous salad - what's very easy is to get one of the flavoured packs and then add a suitable veg, e.g. garlic & mushroom couscous with frozen peas; sundried tomato couscous with chopped tomato. cheaper to make your own flavoured couscous tho.

cold quiche
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fazer6 wrote:
    My boyfriend likes hot food at work so I have loads of portions of soup in the freezer. Whenever I make a pizza I now do double the dough quantity and also do some smaller single portion ones. These use up any old veg or whatever you have in your fridge so you don't have to actually buy anything especially.

Soup's also really healthy and should also count for a few of your portions of fruit and veg for the day. I sometimes put the tesco value 8p noodles in it to make it a bit more filling too.

I've just made the soup with noodles for my lunch today as an experiment, because I have to work tomorrow :mad: and the canteen is shut. I shall be making it tomorrow morning and putting it in a Thermos.

A very nice meal for a price of Super Noodles. (I used a tin of Morrisons soup :o )

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Katgoddess wrote:
    I've just made the soup with noodles for my lunch today as an experiment, because I have to work tomorrow :mad: and the canteen is shut. I shall be making it tomorrow morning and putting it in a Thermos.

A very nice meal for a price of Super Noodles. (I used a tin of Morrisons soup :o )

you might want to rethink this and not add the noodles in the morning

I once took noodles into work in my wide necked thermos and they were REALLY slimey and overcooked by lunchtime (mind I did put them in at 6am and didnt eat til 1pm). do you have access to a kettle to do what sarahsaver suggested and put the noodles in boiling water for two mins and stir and serve when you want to eat. yum!
    Blah
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I cook in the evening, I increase the quantities and portion it out into freezable containers and then take it to work. Then I can have pasta dishes, soups, healthy snacks at low cost. I find this works best for me, as I struggle to get reasonable food when out and about. (jacket spuds and beans isn't good every day!!)
    As for dishes; I find that if you keep the pasta and sauce sperate and heat them up and then mix together it is better - otherwise the pasta can go a little soggy.
    Balsamic vinegar in tomato based pasta sauces, makes it taste scrummy and different... a piece of fruit keeps hunger a bay. I also take in cool drinks, I don't always want water, but don't want to pay 90p for a bottle of fizzy or still pop. I keep them in the fridge!
  • make_life_easier
    Options
    Has anyone tried flour tortilla's with a filling?

My son usually buys these for lunch but making them is so much cheaper as they normally start a £1.99.:mad:

On the packet it says to heat in microwave but is it ok just to use them without heating and put a filling in them.

Also what would be a nice filling?

:beer:
    became debt free December 06
  • stressedoutmumof1
    Options
    I think you heat them in the microwave first so they are easier to bend (without cracking) :confused:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    If you have a microwave you should be able to poach fish in a tupperware box with a little lemon, white wine or water. Have that flaked over some of a bagged salad is good. :p

Do you eat spicy food? When you're dieting and cutting out the fat often it helps if you can replace it with some good strong flavours. :D

I almost never buy shops 'baking potatoes'. They're very large and often take a while to cook. I just get the normal ones and stick a couple in the microwave.

Do you have a favourite list of ready meals that you like but would like to replace with home made stuff. If so let us know and we can try to give some more specific recipies. I have to say that often I slow cook stuff during the week and weekend and box the extra up for the freezer just to take into work. The smell does make a number of people rather envious!:rolleyes:

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Has anyone tried flour tortilla's with a filling?

My son usually buys these for lunch but making them is so much cheaper as they normally start a £1.99.:mad:

On the packet it says to heat in microwave but is it ok just to use them without heating and put a filling in them.

Also what would be a nice filling?

:beer:

My kids have tortilla wraps quite a lot, I make them without heating them up first but heating does make them roll up easier.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • babes21
    babes21 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya everyone

So what do you all take for your packed lunches to work? Looking for a little inspiration as after the New Year i'm going to start preparing food from home to take in, see how much money that saves me monthly ;)

Any ideas/recipes would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport