Great ‘Cheap Holidays & Excursions’ Hunt: Cyprus

Options
MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What’s this about? The weak pound means buying things abroad costs up to 30% more. To help, we're launching a Great ‘Cheap Holidays & Excursions’ Hunt, tapping the massive collective resource of all MoneySavers. Did you find a bargain way to book outings, or cut costs on places to go?

We've split this into popular holiday destinations.
This discussion is specifically to talk about tips for attractions & days out in:

Cyprus

If you want to discuss other excursions for other destinations, please go to the appropriate discussion below.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.

Related "Cheap Excursion" Hunt Discussions

Related guides:

Cheap Package Holidays
Cheap Flights
Cheap Hotels

Comments

• makinprogress
    makinprogress Posts: 477 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 June 2009 at 11:48PM
    Options
    HTH if you're visiting Ayia Napa anytime soon! You will get a better deal on Car Hire from 'Champion' Car Rental than most of the others, as they will include any 'extras' (eg 2nd driver, upgraded insurance etc...) within the
    quoted car hire prices! This saved us anything up to an additional 12euros per day!
    Also, the Euro exchange rate it approx 4cents better in Protaras than Ayia Napa. (helps if you are changing a large amount!)

Edited to add... if you're looking for flights to Cyprus for next Summer 2010, Cyprus Airways have started loading theirs on their Website, with the Economy one way flights starting at 57euros plus taxes etc....ends up approx 95euros!
    makinprogress
  • slewts
    slewts Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Jenny wrote: »
    What’s this about? The weak pound means buying things abroad costs up to 30% more. To help, we're launching a Great ‘Cheap Holidays & Excursions’ Hunt, tapping the massive collective resource of all MoneySavers. Did you find a bargain way to book outings, or cut costs on places to go?

We've split this into popular holiday destinations. This discussion is specifically to talk about tips for attractions & days out in:

Cyrpus

If you want to discuss other excursions for other destinations, please go to the appropriate discussion below.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.

Related "Cheap Excursion" Hunt Discussions

Related guides:

Cheap Package Holidays
    Cheap Flights
    Cheap Hotels
    Cyprus spelt wrong!
  • meanmum
    meanmum Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    I just booked car hire from Larnaca airport for 13 days in July through arguscarhire.com, who are a broker/trawler, when rental came through it is Avis. £182 for a group D car (eg Nissan Micra, A/C), including CDW. Seems like a very good deal, especially for Avis. Hope it helps someone.
  • bob4jane
    bob4jane Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to be staying in Protoras, and want to hire a car and have a go at driving it in Northern Cyprus. I don't want to miss out on half the island just because of some silly little UN border. :A
    So my main question is:
    Wil I have to pay loads extra for a car I can take over the border? And how much is "loads" ?!

Now, if this is difficult, or dangerous ( in terms of insurance/paperwork etc) I would be willing to take some kind of excersion to the North.

So, can anyone help me?
    I would like to know how tricky taking a Southern car over the border is.

I'd also be interested to know if tours/excersions to the North take place - bear in mind where I'm staying, but I would be willing to travel to a larger town, or the border for the start of an excersion.
    "Money is the root of all evil" -Poor person.
    "Money makes the world go round" - Rich Person.
    "Lack of money is the root of all evil" - (c) Me.
  • helping_hubby
    helping_hubby Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2009 at 4:31PM
    Options
    Just got back from Cyprus myself. It was a little pricey and I'm afraid I don't have much advice but can give you an idea of prices...

We stayed near Paralimni, but visited Protaras and Ayia Napa. We had self catering, so we ate in most nights which kept the costs down quite a bit. We found a meal out cost around 25 Euros per head for 1 starter, 1 main for 4 people, 2 beers and a bottle of wine.

If you happen to be in Kapparis, try Faliros restaurant as the food there was excellent.

Pizza hut was pricey at 26 euros for 2 of us, I'm sure it's cheaper in the UK (2 cokes, 1 garlic bread, 1 medium farmhouse and 1 small pepperoni).

Waterworld
    We went to Waterworld, it costs 32 euros for adults and 18 euros for children. I've been to a few water parks in Europe and I think it's one of the better ones. I would have gone again if we could have afforded it.

Look out for vouchers, we found one in a pub for 4 euros off which helps. You cannout take any food or drink into the park - food and drink prices varied, but I thought it was quite reasonable considering a captured market, some examples:
    1.10 euro 500ml bottle water
    2.25 euro 500ml coke/lemonade bottle
    6 euro for hotdog meal (inc chips and drink) at homers
    6 euro for burger meal, slightly more I think for a cheeseburger meal.
    1.50 euro for 1 scoop icecream in a cone.

You don't pay for parking or sunbeds. But you have to pay 5 euros (non-refundable) for a locker key.

Watersports
    Watersports at the beaches seem to be the same prices...don't forget to haggle, hardly anyone was using them so I bet they are desperate for some business.
    40 - 45 euro for 15 mins jet ski
    10 euro for 30 mins pedal boat

Boat Trips
    There were loads at Ayia Napa and quite a few at Protaras too. Prices ranged from 5 euro per person to 50 euro per person. The more expensive ones including dolphin watching. Some last an hour, some last a full day with lunch. Again haggle with them - some boats seemed to go out less than half full. I would suggest checking out trip advisor to see if there are any reviews on there about which is the best.

Sunbeds/Umbrellas
    It costs 2.50 per bed and per umbrella on most beaches, some were 2 euros.

Hope that helps someone. :)
  • meanmum
    meanmum Posts: 610 Forumite
    Options
    bob4jane wrote: »
    I am going to be staying in Protoras, and want to hire a car and have a go at driving it in Northern Cyprus. I don't want to miss out on half the island just because of some silly little UN border. :A
    So my main question is:
    Wil I have to pay loads extra for a car I can take over the border? And how much is "loads" ?!

Now, if this is difficult, or dangerous ( in terms of insurance/paperwork etc) I would be willing to take some kind of excersion to the North.

So, can anyone help me?

I'd also be interested to know if tours/excersions to the North take place - bear in mind where I'm staying, but I would be willing to travel to a larger town, or the border for the start of an excersion.

I haven't done this, but from what I have read, it seems there is no problem to take a southern hire car into the north, you just need to buy insurance once you are over the border - I think it's 35 euros for a month, but that may be out of date (can anyone confirm this?). I did check with Avis (see my earlier post for cheap car hire) & they had no problem with me planning to take it over the border, they would provide insurance but it was more expensive than bought at the border.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So my main question is:

So, can anyone help me?

in 2008 we booked an excursion with thompsons to go over the border was 50 UKP, first we stopped in nicosia went to a museumy type place then went on to a resturant included in the price then went over the border to kyrenia castle then had an hour or so to wander about then up to ballapais abbey
    well worth it imo, the tour guide was great and very informative
    when we went back last year thomas cook were selling a similar tour but we didnt bother
  • petalady
    Options
    Taking a hire car over the border to the north of the island is not a problem. We are just back ourselves and spent 2 days travelling around the north and enjoyed it very much.

We crossed the border at Ayios Nicholos - I think that is how you spell it. Just past the army base. It costs 20 euro for 3 days car insurance which you purchase first from the small white booth and then you take your insurance paperwork and passport to the next white booths and fill out another form and that is it. Easy.

We also stay in Kapparis and can recommend Karas restaurant which is a little bit further down the street from Faliros. Karas sell the best spare ribs on the island for approx 10 euro. Yum yum.
  • SomethingWitty_2
    Options
    So my main question is:

So, can anyone help me?

"In theory" you are not allowed to take most hire cars from the Republic of Cyprus into northern Cyprus. But it is fairly commonly done. What happens is you get to the checkpoint and will pay a nominal "car insurance" fee of around twenty euros. I don't know anything about cover etc so obviously this is at your own risk! As I said though, commonly done, and not all car hire companies get funny about it ;)

It is worth doing though, I enjoyed visiting.
  • SomethingWitty_2
    Options
    Most towns and cities have drinking water vending machines, that will fill up a 20 litre Jerry Can with mineral water for a euro.

50cents to fill up a one litre bottle though! This is often still worth it however.

The main supermarkets are Orphanides and Carrefour, and I would definitely dive into one of these to pick up a few things, saves you a bit. Cheaper still are roadside stalls selling watermelons, halloumi cheese, etc, but haggle if you don't like the price.

Absolutely NEVER buy a road map. they are easily available from hotels or better still, from a Cyprus Tourism Org (CTO) office, all of which are really well stocked and have lots of very detailed maps and guides - in theory you can get away without a guidebook!

I would defintely recommend a Meze at a restaurant, you will leave feeling full. Look for somewhere where the locals go and you know it'll be good
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure