Great ‘Cheap Holidays & Excursions’ Hunt: Cyprus

Options
2»

Comments

• nioannou
    nioannou Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Northern Cyprus is beautiful but beware it is an illegal state only recognised by Turkey, visits are common both ways,unfortunatly is is not just a UN border there is more to it than that, me and my family lost everything in 1974 and were refugeed, we still had a car and managed to borrow money to get to the UK and spent 2 years living with relatives untill we could get a house for ourselves and the UN didnt help anyone at that time! Greek Cypriot peaceful protests are met by the Turks with gun fire towards them and the UN (who seem useless anyway). i understand things are cheaper in the north but theres not much variety. Not sure about driving over the boarder but there are day trips available, if you do go check out Kyrenia, it is beautiful. Protoras is not far from the boarder anyway and excersions go from the Agia Napa area.The Cyprus Tourist Organisation have loads of books, maps etc for free theres one in Agia Napa and Protoras.

Dont be tempted to look at property to buy as when the island is united you may not legally have entitlement to property or land, remember this is stolen land and people will be claiming what is theirs and there are many developers and agents who dont always tell you the truth!

The garages are not self service, they come to you and out of hours there are payment machines that take cash as well as cards, there are also fresh water machines at most of them.

If your staying in one of the big towns try going out a bit to a real Cypriot taverna, prices tend to be cheaper and the food/welcome/quality are better. If the locals eat there its good resonable priced food. There is a great restaurant/take away opposite Kokkinos supermarket in town, great home cooked Cypriot food, cheap and delicious.

If you are using cabs, they will assume you are a tourist, if you tell them you are living there you will possibly get the fare cheaper.

When changing money do look about as Cypriot banks do vary but not by much but remember they charge a fee for changing money. In the last 8 months we have got a better rate over there than here, just change a small ammount to tide you over or use left over Euros from another trip then change the larger ammount over there. There are stuipdly high charges for withdrawing money abroad and you get a low exchange rate, i take cash.

The Government have set the max price for sunbeds and umbrellas which is 2.50 per item, if they charge you more, tell them this as they are breaking the law.

Kavo Greko is the best place for sunsets, if thats your thing, go to the view point and just chill but remeber the sun goes down faster over there, dont miss it

Cyprus has fantastic beaches, people, weather, food and drink, hope you enjoy your stay.
    bob4jane wrote: »
    I am going to be staying in Protoras, and want to hire a car and have a go at driving it in Northern Cyprus. I don't want to miss out on half the island just because of some silly little UN border. :A
    So my main question is:
    Wil I have to pay loads extra for a car I can take over the border? And how much is "loads" ?!

Now, if this is difficult, or dangerous ( in terms of insurance/paperwork etc) I would be willing to take some kind of excersion to the North.

So, can anyone help me?
    I would like to know how tricky taking a Southern car over the border is.

I'd also be interested to know if tours/excersions to the North take place - bear in mind where I'm staying, but I would be willing to travel to a larger town, or the border for the start of an excersion.
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    i used elephant car hire in paphos and they are excellent, charge no excess in case of crash so fully covered plus they provide free child seats and roof racks and they do not try to rip you off on petrol:eek:
    when you leave they tell you just to put key under seat and leave it unlocked, no checking car etc totally brilliant, cheap and helpfull!
    x
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • RoS17
    RoS17 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can save people money on accommodation if they are thinking of going to Cyprus either in November, December, January or February. Basically I have bought a luxury 2 bedroom (both en-suite) house in Anarita, a Cypriot village located close to Paphos and the international airport. We are due to take delivery of the property in October and it should be ready for holidays in November. For the first 4 months I just want to be able to cover some of the costs of the property hence why I am happy to rent it out for £150 per week with a £10 cleaning charge per person. I won't be making any money but it will help me cover the cost of running it and you get a very much reduced holiday home to stay in. The development will be brand new and as such it will not be completely established (e.g. no mature planting) however it will have 3 communal swimming pools decked out with sun loungers and parasols. My holiday home is located opposite one of the swimming pools, it will have air conditioning, washing machine, microwave, oven, fridge/freezer, TV, a balcony in the master bedroom and a private terrace garden which leads out onto the communal gardens and one of the swimming pools. The development is built by Pafilia and will be of a high standard. Although I do not have pictures of the property completed I can send you pictures of similar properties by Pafilia.
    Hopefully this will help keep the cost of your Cyprus trip to a minimum (based on 4 people sharing the cost will be just £47.50 per person – that's £6.79 per day per person). Mild and sunny weather is norm in the winter months. Very close to Secret Valley and Aphrodite Hills golf courses. Please email me for more info:rowenasait@yahoo.co.uk

You also might get lucky on flights to Cyprus by checking out easyjet. They now fly to Paphos International Airport. I'm also going to contact Ryan air and ask them to introduce a new route to Cyprus. They originally said that they won't fly there because the airport taxes were too high but the Cypriot government have said they will reduce these. Maybe if a few of us email them they might consider!

Happy hols!
  • elephant-astic
    Options
    i used elephant car hire in paphos and they are excellent, charge no excess in case of crash so fully covered plus they provide free child seats and roof racks and they do not try to rip you off on petrol:eek:
    when you leave they tell you just to put key under seat and leave it unlocked, no checking car etc totally brilliant, cheap and helpfull!
    x
    lol, with a name like "elephant" you'd expect them to be brilliant! ok, ok, maybe I'm just a little biased :D
  • caroleroly
    Options
    RoS17 wrote: »
    I can save people money on accommodation if they are thinking of going to Cyprus either in November, December, January or February. Basically I have bought a luxury 2 bedroom (both en-suite) house in Anarita, a Cypriot village located close to Paphos and the international airport. We are due to take delivery of the property in October and it should be ready for holidays in November. For the first 4 months I just want to be able to cover some of the costs of the property hence why I am happy to rent it out for £150 per week with a £10 cleaning charge per person. I won't be making any money but it will help me cover the cost of running it and you get a very much reduced holiday home to stay in. The development will be brand new and as such it will not be completely established (e.g. no mature planting) however it will have 3 communal swimming pools decked out with sun loungers and parasols. My holiday home is located opposite one of the swimming pools, it will have air conditioning, washing machine, microwave, oven, fridge/freezer, TV, a balcony in the master bedroom and a private terrace garden which leads out onto the communal gardens and one of the swimming pools. The development is built by Pafilia and will be of a high standard. Although I do not have pictures of the property completed I can send you pictures of similar properties by Pafilia.
    Hopefully this will help keep the cost of your Cyprus trip to a minimum (based on 4 people sharing the cost will be just £47.50 per person – that's £6.79 per day per person). Mild and sunny weather is norm in the winter months. Very close to Secret Valley and Aphrodite Hills golf courses. Please email me for more info:rowenasait@yahoo.co.uk

You also might get lucky on flights to Cyprus by checking out easyjet. They now fly to Paphos International Airport. I'm also going to contact Ryan air and ask them to introduce a new route to Cyprus. They originally said that they won't fly there because the airport taxes were too high but the Cypriot government have said they will reduce these. Maybe if a few of us email them they might consider!

Happy hols!
    Me and my husband are interested, in renting ur house for a week, this nov, we got wed in pafos and go back whenever pos we love cyprus. Can you please send me more info as soon as pos thanks,Caroleroly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure