PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Oatmeal body scrub soap and more (merged)

Options
Hi I saw a reference to an oat scrub soap from Queenie can anyone point me in the right direction. I have searched etc but only found reference to it no the actual post.
Also am interested in any other bath type homemade stuff (I found one for bath salts).

Thanks
Carrie

Official Note:

Queenie's post copied in here for ease

HM Oatmeal Scrub Soap

4oz fine oatmeal (or Porridge Oats blended in a food processor until fine)

4oz soap slivers (grated, then processed to breadcrumb like texture)
Oil = 1 - 2 Tbs Sweet Almond Oil with a few drops of essential oil ( I use Lavender EO) I have used Olive oil in the past :o
Water = 1 - 2 Tbsp

Put the dry ingredients into a bowl, add the oil and water and mix. The mix should work together like making pastry.
Either, roll into balls or put into a "mold" and leave for 24-48hrs to dry out. (For a "mold" I've used a cut down orange juice carton because of it's "waxy" inside which will help with "unmolding".

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: carrie :)

My "recipe" uses up the odds n bobs of old soaps (ofcourse, if you have a favourite soap that you would like to use, then naturally you can do so - using the soap ends is simply more .... cost effective ;) )

I use an equal amount of Oatmeal/Porridge to soap ratio, but some may find that too much. I recommend you start with just half the amount (2oz of oatmeal to 4oz of soap) and then you can adjust it to your personal preference.

Also, oatmeal shouldn't be used if someone has really dry skin - just a thought ;)

Enjoy! :D:D:D
    HM Oatmeal Scrub Soap

4oz fine oatmeal (or Porridge Oats blended in a food processor until fine)

4oz soap slivers (grated, then processed to breadcrumb like texture)
    Oil = 1 - 2 Tbs Sweet Almond Oil with a few drops of essential oil ( I use Lavender EO) I have used Olive oil in the past :o
    Water = 1 - 2 Tbsp

Put the dry ingredients into a bowl, add the oil and water and mix. The mix should work together like making pastry.
    Either, roll into balls or put into a "mold" and leave for 24-48hrs to dry out. (For a "mold" I've used a cut down orange juice carton because of it's "waxy" inside which will help with "unmolding".

:wave:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Queenie. I still haven't worked out why I couldn't find it. Duh! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Queenie
    Options
    LOL - bit like "snow blindness" squeaky ... or, ... :think: is it "can't see the wood for the tree's"? :confused:Blast! My ole grey cells aren't what they used to be :(:(:(

Just so long as the OP is happy ... then we are *all* happy :D:D:D:D
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LOL I must admit I was hopping about a bit at the time. Snow? He asks? In sunny suffolk? Nah... :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • carrie78
    carrie78 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. Trying to make stuff for christmas as per other thread.

Thanks
    Carrie
  • Queenie
    Options
    Good luck carrie :wave:
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queenie,:wave: how many bars of soap would this recipe make? and would anybody know what the ounces would convert to. Like would it be 1/2 cup oatmeal etc. Ta.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a soapmaker, I make it from scratch. I do the old fashioned method of cold process (mixing oils with water and lye)

I dont very often make scrubby bars though as in my experience, people comment that scrubby bars are lovely once in a while, but they prefer smooth bars for everyday use.

My solution is to make mainly smooth bars but I also make a moisturising bar that they can take in the shower to exfoliate and then it leaves a film of shea and cocoa butter (think Lush's buffy the backside slayer)

At Christmas, I make up these sets for family and friends. A couple of bars of nice soap, a massage scrub bar and a few bath melts (and sometimes a dead sea salt scrub for special gifts) I have to add though that its not very old style as I use organic fair trade ingredients that cost more, but hey, everyones different.

Cold process soap is really lovely and not difficult to make, its just assembling recipes that will work to give you a nice fluffy cleansing lather that is gentle. Each oil used adds different things to the soap.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AussieLass wrote:
    Queenie,:wave: how many bars of soap would this recipe make? and would anybody know what the ounces would convert to. Like would it be 1/2 cup oatmeal etc. Ta.
    I'll let Queenie answer the first bit, and if you go to the link to Curry Queen's recent thread there's a conversion kit on the left of the web page that will be perfect for your needs.

CQ's thread
  • Queenie
    Options
    AussieLass wrote:

I don't make "traditional" bars from this mix LOL this really is a "use up your leftovers" soap ... the recipe above makes an 8oz mixture (8oz = approx 200g ) If you know how much a tradtional bar of soap weighs, then you might be able to work it out from that. ie: if a bar of soap weights 2oz , you'll get 4 bars.

HTH :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business