PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great British Food

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this so sorry for starting a new thread :o

Anyway, I came across this website last night somehow (can't remember what I was looking for now) and have been meaning to mention it all day, so better late than never ;)

It's called The Great British Kitchen and I've had a quick scout around it and it looks absolutely fantastic, and one which I'm sure would be of great use to many people here ... and maybe Squeaky would like to add it to the index :)

There are tons of recipes and tips and ideas to cover just about every region and food festival, as well as discussing seasonal produce and recipes!

Hope you all enjoy it :D
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    ////

Anyway, I came across this website last night somehow (can't remember what I was looking for now) and have been meaning to mention it all day, so better late than never ;)

Recipes? :confused:;)

Thanks CQ :D I recognised it from somewhere ...

... then I remembered, it's one I have bookmarked from when we were discussing seasonal foods :o (my brain is getting worse!) I'm glad you reminded me of the site, because, as you rightly say - it's a good 'un!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's called The Great British Kitchen and I've had a quick scout around it and it looks absolutely fantastic, and one which I'm sure would be of great use to many people here ... and maybe Squeaky would like to add it to the index :)
    All done :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Whitefiver
    Options
    Similarly, I had been intending to post this site for a while. You gave me the spur.

Scrote seems to have an interesting outlook on life, but he has some interesting recipes. You can also download the whole site for offline viewing.

Regards,

White.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Recipes? :confused:;)

LOL! I really don't remember :doh: :o ... you know what it's like when you set out to search for something and end up following link after link after link, getting totally side-tracked in the meantime, and three hours later you've completely forgotten what you were meant to be looking for anyway :rotfl:

Not to mention it was silly o'clock in the morning and brain had long since died on me so I left it on the browser to come back to the next day, which still ended up being silly o'clock again when I eventually posted it :rotfl:

Thanks CQ :D I recognised it from somewhere ...

... then I remembered, it's one I have bookmarked from when we were discussing seasonal foods :o (my brain is getting worse!) I'm glad you reminded me of the site, because, as you rightly say - it's a good 'un!

Now you come to mention it I think I have seen this site before because the regional page for my area looks very familiar, and was no doubt posted here at some point as you say ... oooops :o
    ~

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a great site!

As some you already know, I am Italian so I come with a baggage of great cuisine. However, in my 31 years in England, I have been many times dismayed by the disparaging attitude so many Britons have towards their food tradition.

It is my good fortune to have some English friends who are fond of cooking and their British dishes are fantastic.

Good, homecooked Lancashire Hot Pot is no less delicious than Stufato or Boeuf Strogonoff.

Lamb Chops in gravy are as good as any Bistecca or Entrecote. And don't start me on the succulent Scotch Beef steak!!!!

Roast Beef and sunday lunch need no introduction.

Cottage Pie, Bubble and Squeak, and many more.

Apple Pie with cream - Satan himself invented THAT one!

And last but not least the scrumptious English Breakfast.

Come on Britons, value your food a bit more and start opening good English food restaurants. I'll be the first customer and shall drag a few Europeans with me!
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Talking of European food, I was delighted to learn that the chippy next door (also a chinese/burger/pizza outfit) was going to venture into offering Portugese food! There's huge competition amongst the vast array of fast food outlets in such a small place LOL! :rolleyes:

Anyway, they finally got it up and running this week and I was looking forward to seeing the menu and sampling some of this Portugese cuisine (I know the guy running it and he's a pretty good cook!) so I sent DS down to pick up a menu last night. Now I'm not really au fait with Portugese cuisine as such, apart from the odd dish I've sampled from said cook a few years ago, but I was really disappointed to see what was on offer!

Apart from a few HM dishes of rissoles, meat croquettes, fish cakes and spicy smoked sausage (whatever that means) the rest is basically just your usual barbecue stuff - chicken, spare ribs, belly pork, kebab skewers and burgers ... oh, and the option of a pot of sauce made Portugese style :confused:

I know I shouldn't knock it until I try it ... who knows he might have some secret recipes up his sleeve that sets it apart from the normal kind of fayre you find in a take-away ... but the prices are quite exorbitant too (compared to what's on offer elsewhere in the village) presumably to pay for the refurbishment of that part of the shop, so I'm reluctant to buy anything as I'm sure I could make whatever he's offering at home much cheaper :(

Has anyone sampled Portugese cuisine before and if so, what are the usual national dishes?
    ~

• Queenie
    Options
    Quasar wrote:

Come on Britons, value your food a bit more and start opening good English food restaurants. I'll be the first customer and shall drag a few Europeans with me!

You're not Rick Stein in disguise are you? I was watching one of his foodie programmes the other week (re-run on UK Food) and he was saying precisely the same thing :D

Regional British food is delicious!!! :drool:

CQ - could you do a recipe trade with the Chef? Might work and he might even let you sample ;)
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Re the portuguese dishes, maybe he has 'anglicised' (spelling?) the menu as people can be a bit conservative about what they order? At university someone on my corridor was from Thailand and had a part-time job in the local Thai restaurant - one night a few of us decided we had had enough of hall food and decided to get a Thai takeaway - we asked the Thai guy what the food was like where he worked and he said good but that he would put in a special order for us of items which were 'not on the english menu' - we were a bit apprehensive but most of what turned up was absolutely gorgeous (and I assume authentic Thai food) - there was only one thing nobody liked which was minced chicken and minced chillis mixed together (and nothing else!) it was so hot it made your eyes water, everything else was a bit more elaborate (more than 2 ingredients) and we would never have known what to order without our 'inside contact'. :)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm maybe I should send DS down with a little note and tell him I want a "Chef's Special" ;):D

And no sniggering from you lot at the back, yes you :p :rotfl:
    ~

• Queenie
    Options
    Hmmmm maybe I should send DS down with a little note and tell him I want a "Chef's Special" ;):D

And no sniggering from you lot at the back, yes you :p :rotfl:
    :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
    :silenced:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income