PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Oatmeal body scrub soap and more (merged)

Options

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Zziggi wrote:
    Am I the only one who is still confused about how to make my own soap? Is there a basic receipe that i could use for a trial batch? lye? where would i get caustic soda from?

sorry if its a daft question

I've been asking Leonie about this and she's been very helpful. I have a library book that has step by step instructions. These websites have the same info:

http://houseofstrauss.co.uk/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=462
    http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/soap_recipe.htm

I was going to make a castile (olive oil) soap because I don't want to use animal products and it only uses three ingredients - olive oil, caustic soda and water! However, Leonie has recommended adding another oil so I'm going to have to find some cocconut oil or similar.

Caustic soda is available in old fashioned hardware stores or some branches of B&Q etc. Lye is caustic soda - or maybe it becomes lye when it's mixed with water, that sounds more plausible.

All you need (says she who hasn't even started) is dishwasher proof plastic of stainless steel containers, a non-alumininium thermometer and a plastic biscuit tin or similar to pour the mixture into.

Leonie also suggests using a stick blender to mix and others have suggested using old cardboard milk cartons for moulds - you cut the top off and then, when the soap is set the cardboard peels off so that you can slice the soap.

HTH, I can't wait to get started!
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    leonie wrote:
    Recently, Aldi was selling dead sea salt, 1.5kg for £1.99. I added half sweet almond oil (76pish) from tesco and half olive oil (£1.99 per litre) and a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to a pretty glass pot that I had saved. This looked lovely and is wonderful as a gift, and really inexpensive to make! You think how much Boots charge for something like this, bearing in mind most salt scrubs arent dead sea salt, just plain salt. Also remember its not loaded with chemicals and perfumes, just natural stuff, so its much better for your skin too!

Right then - I am patiently collecting soap slivers so I can have a go at making Queenie's HM Oatmeal Scrub Soap.

I also want to have a go at a Leonie's salt scrub. I already have sea salt but it is the coarse sort that you grind up - should I use this as it is or grind it up first or buy some even finer?? I've never used a salt scrub so I'm not too sure what the finished look should be like?!

Thanks in advance :D
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Well i've never used normal salt as I usually buy dead sea salt in bulk but you could try with a little batch and see how you go? I wouldnt recommend sugar though as apparently it can be too scratchy and cause teeny tears in the skin. Brown sugar is supposed to be better as its molecules are more rounded.

Just dont feel you have to 'scrub' at your skin, this is a common mistake people make. Exfoliating is simply removing the top layers of skin. So gently massage the scrub into your skin. This is even more important on facial skin.
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    Hello old schoolers

I've just come to the end of my tub of boots Sanctuary body scrub and was pondering whether I'd be able to make my own. The list of ingredients seems pretty straight forward, salt, sea salt, various essential oils (primrose, coconut, etc) and that's it.

Anyone ever had a go at this and can offer me any tips? Might make a good Christmas present if it goes well.
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have been told that coffee is good, ground stuff that is
    or you could use oats and add dried herbs or flowers
    ground adzuki beans are really lovely, you just mix them to a paste in your hands then scrub it on.The sink blocking potential for these is high though ;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is a thread on home made body scrubs - bet squeaky will be around any minute with the location or link.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Think I heard of creme fresh and oatmeal mixed together
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look in the Makeup and Body Care section in the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing where there are some ideas for you to browse, and we have a recent thread on home made scrub soap that I'll find for you and will edit the link back into this post.

So watch this space...:)

Edit: here you go:- Link no longer needed; the thread is merged here :)

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • starlite_2
    starlite_2 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    Options
    I found salt and coffee a bit harshon my skin, and the coffee made an awful mess of our bath!, but oats worked great..
    I mix them with a little olive oil and a few drops of pure tea tree oil..it works really well.
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    scuzz wrote:
    Think I heard of creme fresh and oatmeal mixed together

I think I'd rather eat that!!
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors