PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rag Rugs.....

I've seen people on here talk about cutting up carrier bags to make rugs and using old rags for the same purpose.............can anyone enlighten me further??

I'd imagine I need some sort of canvas to start from or is there a cheaper way to start????
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.

Comments

• Scoflo
    Scoflo Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I made rag rugs a few years ago for each of my kids. Cut the material into 4 inch strips, less if its buly, more if its fine and plait. Add each new material in as the last ends and you can do a double stitch for security, I didn't always. Coil the plait into a circle, oval etc as you wish & stich together. Very easy, very quick and no need for canvas. I made a cat bed in the same way & stiched tighter to allow the material to "bowl".
    :hello: Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want:hello:

• smartcat04
    smartcat04 Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My mum does these when she has bult up enough material to use.For the base she uses hessian and a filed down long style wooden peg as the tool that makes the hole and pokes the material strip through.
    April £5 a day challenge- £15.05/£150
  • Yoga_Girl
    Yoga_Girl Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a go at rag-rug making some years ago after I saw some at an arts & craft fair (at very expensive prices!)

Here is a link to a site that gives a few hints & tips on rag-rug making:

www.4ormore.co.uk/projects/ragrug.htm

When I made a rug I used a piece of hessian and pulled strips of fabric through, think I used a crochet hook to do that.
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    I loved making these when we were kids, Mum used to cut up our old clothes and we all joined in with the "prodding". It was good fun sitting by the fire and seeing bits of my old coat in the new rug. I'd like to do it again but don't know what I'd do with the finished article!
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for the website about the rag rugs,i will give it a try when i have more spare time in winter months.

Could anyone tell me what quilting is please as i keep reading about that in several posts>
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Quilting is taking squares or hexagons of many different cloths and making them into large sheets that can then be used as a quilt or duvet cover. Really inventive quilters make entire pictures out of different shapes.

A google on quilting shouldn't pull up more than, oh... a couple of million pages to show you what can be done :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squiggles
    Many thanks for the reply squeeky.

I remember doing something with hexigan material many years ago at school,but couldnt remember what ,lol
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You're welcome. :)

Lots of people start with smaller projects like a patch you can add to a cushion cover.

To see our main quilting thread ---> Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squiggles
    thanks alot squeaky,ive put it in my favourites so i dont lose it.Im forever trying to hunt down threads that ive read earlier and can never find them again,even when i do the search button,lol
  • cath-w
    cath-w Posts: 132 Forumite
    Hi there,

There are different ways of making rugs. Rugs can be made using the plaiting technique as described above, or they can be made by prodding or hooking using a hessian type backing. With hooking you pull the material from the back to the front and with prodding you push the material from the back to the front. Plaited rugs are good as they are reversible.

Check out books from your local library too.

C.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport