PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rag Rugs.....

Options
12346»

Comments

• blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    I did one years ago - would say to keep to one weight of material otherwise it doesn't lie too flat and is easier to wash
    Pinking shear the edges of the strips
    When I lived in Northumberland I was told it was a "proggy mat"
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I grew up rag rugging as they were the only floor coverings we had, could do from 4. We used any old rags in any colours. About 5" long, try a patch first to get the hang of it. Leave enough sacking on edges to turn over. Fabrics then were cotton and about the same density ie dress, skirt etc
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As this has dropped down the board, i've merged this with our rag rug thread for you

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• April_Showers
    Options
    Hi, long time lurker here but I would like to make one of these (my mother still has some made by my grandmother - and mum is in her eighties!). Does anyone use a frame? I've been looking online but can't see where to buy one. Would a tapestry frame be suitable? TIA - I'm not usually 'crafty' type person but for some reason I'm keen to try this.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello. Can I add my voice to April Showers? I've been collecting old shirts for what feels like forever, to make a hooked rag rug. I did a class on progging rag rugs several years ago (still have the kit), but I already had the canvas and latch hooks for mine before I took that course.

No mention of frames on the course I took but I was given one piece of advice - make sure you have a table at a suitable height to take the weight of the rug because they get very heavy!
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • April_Showers
    Options
    Thanks Pipney Jane, I never thought about the weight! I've looked at Heather Ritchie's YouTube video and she says a frame isn't necessary but makes things easier to work with it on your lap whilst watching tv (which is what I have in mind!).

My mum tells me grandma used to fix the hessian to a wooden frame at one side with tacks and then roll it tight on the other side of the frame so the hessian was taut and easier to work with. She seems to think she has grandma's original hooks somewhere - I hope she finds them, I like the thought of using the ones she used all her life.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Pipney Jane, I never thought about the weight! I've looked at Heather Ritchie's YouTube video and she says a frame isn't necessary but makes things easier to work with it on your lap whilst watching tv (which is what I have in mind!).

My mum tells me grandma used to fix the hessian to a wooden frame at one side with tacks and then roll it tight on the other side of the frame so the hessian was taut and easier to work with. She seems to think she has grandma's original hooks somewhere - I hope she finds them, I like the thought of using the ones she used all her life.

Good luck. I hope your mum can locate them.

My plan is to sit close enough to the coffee table for it to support the weight of the rug. (I say "plan". I've been planning this for at least 8 years, if not 9. How sad is that?)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • rachil_2
    Options
    Yes, people do make rugs from carrier bags but I have seen that they are not durable. The links generally open up once heavy foot work is exposed to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure