Contact Lenses and Laser Eye Surgery Discussion Area

Options
articlealert.gif
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Contact Lense and Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Article

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

This discussion is about contact lenses. To discuss laser eye surgery cost cutting please go here.

Comments

• dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is anyone aware of any other sites which list which own brand lens are really what lens. The sainsburys one doesn't list my

Specsavers Easy Vision Aspheric dailies
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pretty much all discounters will do this if you call them. Postoptics are reputed to be particularly good.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • jab_5
    jab_5 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Last year I changed opticians to one in my high street as my previous optician was connected to a job I had left. I wanted a contact lens prescription check. I was charged for a fitting and as the prescription had changed they also would not give me a copy of it until I had worn the new prescription for 3 months. This I did and went back for a check which was fine. A couple of weeks later, when my lenses were running out, I ordered on-line from Postoptics and gave them the number of my optician to check my prescription. They refused to give my details under "data protection" and typed out my prescription for me to collect on headed paper which then had to be faxed etc. The letter stated that if I asked for a prescription again they would charge me a £10 administrative fee. Can they do this?
  • thespacecowboy
    thespacecowboy Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    charging a 10 pound fee is part of the data protection legislation, companies can charge a max of 10 for an information request (however this could include copies of data they hold on you, not just your prescription).

I'd change opticians if I were you, they don't sound the nicest bunch ;-) however I am partly pleased they would not give out your prescription when post-optics called...

Incidentally, when I went to tesco for an eye test (10 quid also) they gave me a copy of it when I left, with no pressure to buy.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My optician, too, gives out a prescription immediately, so I can take it and get specs anywhere, tho buy from him anyway.
    Also when I asked about laser surgery, he said it would cure distance but at my age did not recommend it.
    Yet he advertises laser treatment , so presume get 'em done when you're younger.
  • robskillz
    robskillz Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    There is already a discussion on this topic here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=71855
  • woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I currently get my lenses from specsavers. They cost £15.50 a month and they are excellent. I put them in on day 1 and take them out on day 30. Iwear them all day and all night, they are so comfortable you forget you are wearing them. For the £15.50 a month you get lenses and follow up checks. You also get 2 Vouchers per year for 2 contact lenses in case you damage or lose your lenses.
  • jedi0310
    jedi0310 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree woozywendy - I also get the very same lenses from Specsavers for £15.50 per month and they have always been great, both the lenses and the service I've had on the checkups.
  • kimicat
    kimicat Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    PLEASE BE AWARE
    As an eyecare professional in a hospital (ie not an optician) I have seen millions of idiots who have cut corners on their contact lenses with devistating consequences. You still need a 6 month check up at your optician AND it is well within their rights to not check you if you don't get your lenses from them. IF anything does happen and you loose your sight, you will get no compensation for your loss as the optician will not take on the responsibility for something they have not dispensed. Equally the place you purchased your lenses from as they did not 'dispense' them (fit them, check the health of your eyes etc ) also has no responsibility.

You may think this is a rare complication, but in a busy eye clinic IT IS NOT UNUSUAL. You can loose your sight, you can develop infections that mean you cannot return to wearing lenses again ever (and also then be unsuitable for laser surgery, so you are back in glasses.) You only have one pair of eyes, please be very careful - remember cheap is cheerful, but not necessarily better.
  • rubber_soul_2
    Options
    Yes I think that some of the deals at Specsavers on the high street are pretty good.

For example, 30 pairs a month of daily disposables, for £25 per month, (direct debit, delivered to your door in 3 month batches). As well as you lenses, all follow up contact lense checks are included for as long as you stay on the plan. You also get vouchers for a pair of half-price glasses per year (including single vision lenses), so you can get a pair from the main specsavers £99-range for £49.50. You get a similar voucher for a pair of half-price prescription sunglasses, so again they're a bargain at £50 a pair. You also get a voucher for a pair of designer frames (plus single vision lenses) for only £85!

Personally I think this is a very good deal - even better, you still get all the vouchers and aftercare if you choose to get less than 30 pairs of contacts per month, e.g. 10 pairs is only £8 p.m. or 20 pairs for £15 p.m. Tough to beat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure