This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

How to Find a Cheap Flight Article.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Earlier last year someone posted a link to a website which allowed you to do charter flight searches for several different charter carriers (in connection with an offer of sub 100 pound flights to stanford I think) but I can't find the thread again. However I think the link would be useful as part of this article.
    I think....
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good idea - ive added http://www.flightsdirect.com/charter-flights/ in there
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Big_Al51
    Big_Al51 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I'm looking for a cheap flight to the States in July returning August. The advice always seems to be book early - but the best deals always seem to come at the last minute.

Big Al
  • barron_2
    barron_2 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.
    Agreeing with most on this site,however it should be pointed out that DIYing ,Cheap Flights, Hotels etc can also lead to problems.The cheap providers ie Easy Jet etc are NOT bonded (ATOL).Also Accomadation suppliers usually the same.
    So if you were to book DIY you are NOT protected.
    People spend hours looking for Flights ,Hotels,Transfers,Car Hire,Attraction Tickets etc etc.
    If they knew that an BONDED INDEPENDANT Travel Agent can do it for them ,often getting cheaper deals than you would find yourselves at NO cost to you.
    Make sure an agent has ATOL and is a member of a Trust,you are then protected financially.
    Most Independants earn their commission from the supplier,the exact same suppliers and more, that the DIYers use.They put the package together,under their ATOL,and the client is protected.Plus the Independant has up to the minute info on the best deals.I can go on,but the simple fact is,
    DIYing = Time,Time = MONEY,Saving Time = Saving Money
    USE an INDEPENDANT (BONDED)who does DYNAMIC/TAILOR MADE Packages.
    Same Flights ,Same Hotel etc.= Same/Cheaper price.= THEIR Time = NOT YOURS.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive not spotted either of these 2 tips in there pleas remove if I overlooked them.

As long as your dates are not set in concrette, there is a weird pricing thing going on with different dates for no apparent reason.

On British Airways flight booker, it gives the option to check prices up to 14 days either side of the date you enter.

As an example;
    London New york 1st of April which is a Saturday, fair enough weekend day,

but look at the previous Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday prices, theres quite a difference for no obvious reason. (times this by a family of 4 and its a good few quid)

I do this then go and book through expedia it has worked a couple of times it seems there are just cheaper days to fly, industry wide, not just BA.
    (ie, continentals flights were cheaper on the same days as BA's)

Its just Ba's webby shows these days up rather easier than keep entering different dates for hours on end.

Also check more than once per day, we went to Toronto from Manchester checked the flight price in the morning at dinner then in the evening, same flights, plane destination and departure airports, 2 weeks before we flew;

8 am- £1200

12 noon- £1400

6 pm - £700

I have not got a clue why such a change in price happend across 1 day but it did.

Guess which one we booked? :)
  • Leebo_2
    Options
    Hi i followed the link in this artcile labelled Sidestep and was presented with an American website called Orbitz. I want to fly to amsterdam from london and the flights are around £30 cheaper here.

With this being an amercan airline and company would i need to be an American citizen to fly with them?

Also the prices are in dollars. Would i be charged a lot extra to pay with my card in sterling?

I'm presuming with an e-ticket i simply print this off and produce it at the airport to board my flight?

Any help will be much appreciated.
  • YBNB
    YBNB Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Leebo

Can't help you with the American aspect of it, but I do fly a lot with budget airlines, and the e-ticket means you need to show your unique booking reference along with your passport when you check in at the airport. Many people tend to print off the booking confirmation from the airport and hand that over at check-in.

Good luck.
  • zoelife
    zoelife Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I think the whole idea of getting cheaperflights/holidays is great. However if you are disabled, with mobility difficulties and fatigue, as I am you need to be a bit more cautious and find out if you can get assistance, stairlifts, seats with extra leg room wheelchair, accessible room etc.

Does anyone have any tips for me about disability aware/friendly tour operators airways and hotels without spending loadsa money as I am on benefits and who doesn't love a bargain.

I am looking for sun without humidity as close as possible eg Malta Cyprus Benidorm. Accessible hotels resorts that aren't too loud would be helpful too. Had very bad experience with First Choice and Tenerife

Here's hoping Martin's wonderful site can encorporate disabled friendly companies or at least flag them up to congratulate them and encourage others to become disabled friendly!

waiting with anticipation...
  • dhyandeva
    Options
    I would really like to be able to search for 'somewhere warm'! Eg in spring that would prob include anywhere in southern Europe. In deep winter it might include just the southermost points of Europe: Malaga/Almeria/Sicily/Cyprus. Then I would not have to work my way thru all those Swedish airports that come up! Maybe it could be a latitude limit on a map or an average temp limit
  • e4kerry
    Options
    Found cheap return flight from Stanstead to Ancona in Italy, on Flight Checker for dates I require, with Ryanair. Same flight with https://www.Ryanair is £45:00 extra, how do I/can I book with Flight Checker ? 4ekerry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure