Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Options

Comments

• SpanishBlue
    Options
    I think you will find just about all suppliers will raise their prices in the coming months.

Bulb are not daft, they know that virtually all their customers switched to them because of their competitive prices, and they can just as easily switch elsewhere if need be.
  • mustafa
    Options
    Bulb have told me that my monthly total will go up by £33.83 or £405.96 per year. will switch once current switch goes through. Have asked them to explain Ofgems cap and how it will apply to me. No response as yet? They have always been very quick to respond, but not with this?
    Gas
    Unit Rate

3.938p per kWh

Standing Charge

24.558p per day

Electricity
    Unit Rate

13.640p per kWh

Standing Charge

24.558p per day.

These rates are awful.

Bulb, not sure you know what you're doing
  • satchef1
    satchef1 Posts: 115 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2018 at 12:04PM
    Options
    I think you will find just about all suppliers will raise their prices in the coming months.

Bulb are not daft, they know that virtually all their customers switched to them because of their competitive prices, and they can just as easily switch elsewhere if need be.

Maybe. But the difference between Bulb's prices and the best deals on the market is now considerable.

For me:
    Outfox the Market: £291/year cheaper (variable, green)
    Avro Energy: £180/year cheaper (fixed, not green)
    Octopus: £116/year cheaper (fixed, green)
    British Gas: £101/year cheaper (fixed, not green, includes boiler cover)
    Green Energy Network: £78/year cheaper (18 month fix, green)
    Engine: £21/year cheaper (3 year fix, green

In some cases, there's cheaper deals than the above. But I've swayed, where possible, toward suppliers with good feedback. Maybe these prices will increase over the next few months. But for now, there's a good opportunity that lock in a significantly better rate.

Maybe Bulb should think about ditching, or suspending, the expensive referral scheme in order to keep prices competitive? I'll be surprised if they don't lose a lot of customers over this rise. And attracting new ones becomes more difficult if prices aren't very good.
  • beardiedog
    Options
    satchef1 wrote: »
    Maybe. But the difference between Bulb's prices and the best deals on the market is now considerable.

For me:
    Outfox the Market: £291/year cheaper (variable, green)
    Avro Energy: £180/year cheaper (fixed, not green)
    Octopus: £116/year cheaper (fixed, green)
    British Gas: £101/year cheaper (fixed, not green, includes boiler cover)
    Green Energy Network: £78/year cheaper (18 month fix, green)
    Engine: £21/year cheaper (3 year fix, green

In some cases, there's cheaper deals than the above. But I've swayed, where possible, toward suppliers with good feedback. Maybe these prices will increase over the next few months. But for now, there's a good opportunity that lock in a significantly better rate.

Maybe Bulb should think about ditching, or suspending, the expensive referral scheme in order to keep prices competitive? I'll be surprised if they don't lose a lot of customers over this rise. And attracting new ones becomes more difficult if prices aren't very good.

I switched to Bulb knowing that they were going to increase prices in November but didn't expect a 32% increase for gas. They were one of the cheapest at the time too.

I'm switching again towards the end of October, probably to Avro who have risen back into my top 3 again. But things will probably change by then.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    Does anyone know what Bulb's policy is over switching away from them, and then switching back to Bulb a few month's later?

I can't see anything in their T&Cs.

Would you get a 2nd £50 referral bonus if you switched to them again?
  • elizabeth2015
    Options
    No Bulb wont allow a second £50 according to something I read on their community boards. I have mixed feelings about this £50 enticement. It did encourage me to move to them, but their prices have gone up twice since then and I cant see gas/electricity prices ever coming down again. Whereas I initially liked the idea of simplified pricing with bulb, now I'm going back to the idea of fixed contracts where at least you know you wont get another hike til the end of your contract.
  • don-leshone
    Options
    I'm still in the middle of a switch and Bulb have told me that my D/D will increase by £16/month from 1/11/18. I think i'll be back looking for a better deal before that happens!
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ^^^
    I'm so alone, my love without you
    You're part of everything I do
    When you come back, and you're beside me
    These are the words I'll say to you

Welcome home, welcome
    Come on in, and close the door
    You've been gone, too long
    Welcome, you're home once more

I thought of all the things I'd say to you
    When you come back to me someday
    When you are here and we're together
    With all my heart you'll hear me say

Welcome home, welcome
    Come on in, and close the door
    You've been gone, too long
    Welcome, you're home once more

:)
  • steven_cardwell
    Options
    No Bulb wont allow a second £50 according to something I read on their community boards. I have mixed feelings about this £50 enticement. It did encourage me to move to them, but their prices have gone up twice since then and I cant see gas/electricity prices ever coming down again. Whereas I initially liked the idea of simplified pricing with bulb, now I'm going back to the idea of fixed contracts where at least you know you wont get another hike til the end of your contract.
    Totally agree with you, back in May my e-on fix was about to end and their new offerings were quite a bit higher than what i was paying so i started the search of what other companies offerings were.

I had used fixed deals for quite a few years and to be honest once that years work was over you could relax knowing what your payments were each month and no worries about price rises, i moved to Bulb as they were one of the cheapest on the market plus the feedback on forums like this was good, even down to mentions of them actually putting prices down on occasion!

i also had a work mate who had recently changed to Bulb so there was the £50 referral too, between that and paying the direct debit amount in advance i have managed to get a decent amount of credit built up for going into winter, or so i thought.

Thing is two price rises in such as short time being a customer and this latest one, i actually thought it was a misprint in the email when it said a £16 a month rise in monthly payment, now i know it was a variable but from what i had read , reviews, forums etc there wasn't any indication that Bulb in the past had increased costs by anything like these latest price rises.

Maybe its just a bit of being naive and hindsight would be a wonderful thing as i i was 50/50 back in May with another firm that was a fix but would have cost £5 more a month on the price quotes i had, don't know if it was blind sighted by the £50 referral or just not thinking prices would rise or at least not twice within a few months.

I had a look around last night at what was on offer from others and today i've used the energy club and applied for the new e-on tariff that is maybe dearer than current prices but certainly cheaper going forward than what Bulb's new prices are going to be.

Think in the future going forward these variable deals are too much of a risk and i think between only having the hassle of checking out deals once a year to not worrying about price rises i will be back to sticking to fix deals.
  • rich_shot2003
    Options
    My switch to them takes place tomorrow so will see if it all goes to plan.

Not so happy about email saying prices are going up in Nov but they still work out cheaper then BG.

In email it says new customers will start paying new prices from when they sign up so does that mean as i switch tomorrow will i pay new prices from now or in Nov?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback