PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast – 7 days no spending (at all)

Options

Comments

• modern_millie_2
    Options
    Hi all,
    Day 1 for me, NSD as planned.

Well done Calico, v. satisfying when you get to the end!

Lally, hope you're feeling better soon. You might need to tempt your appetite back if you've been off your food. I usually go for something plain like cornflakes or rich tea biscs if I've been feeling queasy.

Kiwisaver, that's a really good idea to have a simplified stock of basics for favourite meals - it's a bit like a capsule wardrobe for your larder! I am going to aim to do this too. An actual capsule wardrobe would also be a good idea!

Have a good evening everyone.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Oooh, can I come and play?

I've teetered on the edge of the Fast before now and the time has never been quite right, but I'm feeling inspired by your posts. There are a couple of things I need to have by me before I start, some essential toiletries and I think some butter or cooking margarine. Haven't bought any fats of any sort in 2012 but have laid up some pears into the freezer ready to become crumbles.

Does anyone here know if you can make crumble toppings with Trex (which I have already?)

:p I may have to start Fasting on Wednesday at this rate...........seriously, it would be good to get the freezer down and into some of the storecupboard items. I'm also in a sulk with my local supermarket, a Tesco Metro, which has just replaced 2 more checkouts with self-serve tills. I wrote to them last time they did this and told them the day they took the last manned tills was the day they lost my custom for good but now I feel like talking the part of my grovery spend which I do there and spending it elsewhere...............

DId I recall someone mentioning that they were reading a book on disaster preparedness or similar? I'd be very interested if you'd share the title.

Have a lovely evening, eveyone, GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    evening!

greent - hope you get your WM sorted soon - washing for 6 piling up must be horrendous!

JackieO - I dont eat meat - but I'd probably freeze some of the gammon in a cheesy sauce.

NSD again for me:j took some HM leek and potato soup to work for lunch and had it with crackers and cheese and a pear from the fruitbowl at work.

We had fish and chips for tea from the freezer as it was a late finish for me and DH cooked it - he's ok as long as its a bung it all in the oven type of tea. Jam crumblie for pud.

Day off tomorrow which will unfortunately mean a tiny spend as we've run out of crackers and DH takes them to work but I'll just pop in and get them and try and resist spending anything else.

take care all x
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    Evening all,
    I'm sorry to hear of tales of upset stomachs, WM breakdowns and other woes.

Hello Grey Queen - I love your posts from other boards so it's lovely to see you here.

I managed a negative spend day:jDidn't spend anything and I got reimbursed for last week's milk money at work. Plus having looked at my store cupboard I now reckon I can make it to Thursday without buying any provisions. However, we will be cracking and going out tomorrow eveing for a delayed anniversary meal (but we're going somewhere where we have vouchers so it shouldn't be too bad).

Stockpiles: I tend to have piles of staples (bulgar wheat, cous cous, pasta etc) that I know we will eat and that were on special offer. I also bulk buy my flour as it is much cheaper. Like other people though I'm trying to streamline my food cupboards and use up all those bits and pieces that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Take care all.
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Heavens I've popped in here again to see how everyone is doing!

M.Millie...hope it goes well and you manage 7 days...it's actually harder than you think,but doable.

G.queen...welcome,and I would deffo recommend trying this. I also hate self serve tills,the things never work properly.

STOCKPILES......I can't do it..it goes against my very being,I love having jars and jars of spices,herbs,and wierd things I have to look up,but I cook most things from scratch and need these things. Out of date stuff I'm getting rid of though. I feel quite insecure thinking about a basic stockpile..lol..maybe I have a problem.

Main reason 4 post is.....what are these crumblies everyone is talking about?? B 4 I go shopping tomorrow. Was too busy at work to use computer to look at all posts and mobile crashes if I try to look at too much. I seem to remember making crumblie biscuits as a kid ,they were in my first cook book at 7yrs. Is it same thing? Kiddies biscuits? Bet my mum has the book..she has my first tooth,swimming costume etc.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 April 2012 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the poorly tummies and broken washing machines. Hope all is well soon.

Well I definitely didn't get it right this time and am finding it harder this week. I had to get a couple of bits again today. I spent £3 so still only up to £7-50 out of my £10. Tomorrow I will have to get milk though so it looks as if I'm only just going to be able to stay within budget.

Next week I will have to plan and shop more carefully. I would prefer to think of my £10 as a contingency and not have to spend it all really. I was hoping to have a nice little amount to add to my "Happy Cash".

Re the stockpile. I do like to have a good supply of herbs and spices, oils & fats, some cream, tin or frozen tomatoes or passata, garlic, cous cous, dried pasta, parmesan cheese, pesto etc. I do have rather a lot of pasta at the moment so won't buy any more just yet.

Whilst I'm quite happy to run my stocks down during the summer my plan is come October time I will restock so that I have a good supply for the winter in case of bad weather.

I have two freezers and am aiming to have run them down, defrost and clean them ready to fill them up when my garden produce is ready.

Don't know if anyone likes to cook with wine at all but here's a little wheeze I've found. Rather than open a bottle of wine for a casserole or stew I just use cheap port/sherry/or red vermouth. You don't need much. You don't have to finish off a whole bottle once it's opened - it'll last for ages without going off.

I once ran out of red alcohol to add to a beef casserole - had a rummage and found a miniature bottle of Pernod. I added a little (just a couple of tablespoons - a little goes a long way). The casserole tasted great.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Chums well I went shopping for my Dd and got her a pile of essentials to see her though until payday ,somewhat blew my food purse budget a bit but I'm still have some left to last until the end of the month and absolutely no shopping to buy at all as I go away on holiday on the 28th and come home on the 5th may so that will be my next shopping day so whats in the cuboards or fridge /freezer will last me until then.I have about just under £38 left in my food purse so I'm quite happy with that to go into my holiday savings.
    I managed to get some reduced price veg at M&S yesterday as well which was brilliant they had a huge cauli for 70p which will do me for at least a weekand a bag of casserole veg that was only 50p.I used half of it in the SC last night and made a lamb casserole which smells delicius and will do me for four days dinners but I'll probably portion it up and put some in the freezer for later on .DD was really pleased at what I got for her and Sainsbobs off of 2 for a tenner fresh chickens went straight into her freezer They are really big ones as well so will do the family for two days dinners plus bits left over for packed lunches.With her large family she sometimes has the odd month when the kids schools need lots of cash for trips here and there and April was a heavy month for school trips.I don't mind helping her out as she is very good to me and I think we've all had times when the bills come in quicker than the money :)
    Re the Gammon as its still frozen I am going to store it in the freezer until I come back from my holidays then probably defrost and roast and slice up into portions and refreeze.DD's family aren't very keen on pork or it would go to her ,but I may try making a carbonara type meal and see if the boys will try it out for me.They will usually eat anythin, or I could save it until july when I know we have a family get together at my eldest Dds house so a gammon that size would go down a treat I shall have to have a bit of a ponder about it.2.5 kilos is in my world around 5lb plus of meat which is quite a bit of meat.
    Right time to get a wriggle on have a good day everyone
    Cheers JackieO xx
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys :wave: yesterday did not go according to plan as we got free tickets from seefilmfirst for "Salmon fishing in Yemen" which was straight after work. As soon as we got to the cinema the starvation began and we bought nachos, sweets & a drink :( oh well £10 for the 2 of us to go to the cinema including snacks - it could be worse....

Today I am leaving my purse at home to avoid spending any cash!

Meals are:

porridge for breakfast, toasted rolls with philidephia & tomatoes, dinner is going to be something out of the freezer....

think I am going for a run straight after work & then for a sauna on my way home. That should keep me out of trouble!!! Then I think a bit of study and an early night. i can do this!!! :o

hope you all have a good day x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    been off here for a week, so just been catching up with all your posts and motivational tips:A

am not so bad at not spending on food, only bought milk and 4 bags of mints yest (week 7 of OH giving up smoking) and took my printed-off asda vouchers to pay for most.

it's the non-food spends that have really caught up this month - vets bill (may be able to claim some back), tv license, prof fees, tickets for a wknd away, gardening stuff - composts etc

OH is quite on board with food, had LO veggie cott pie with freezer veg last nite plus walnut whip (don't seem to be making a dent in those AT ALL lol).

another slight downfall is that we have access to a AF type shop locally with loads of fresh and dry goods, it's like a permanent yellow-sticker site - very good but very bad:rotfl:
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Calicocat

here's the recipe for the crumblies. I reduced the cooking time to 6 mins and found they were better.

Jam Crumblie

6oz butter/marg
    6oz dark soft brown sugar
    6oz porridge oats
    7oz plain flour
    pinch of salt
    1/2 teaspoon aking powder
    4oz jam

lightly grease an 8" square baking dish(I use my ceramic lasagne dish as its microwave safe)
    Cream fat and sugar together
    stir in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
    Press half the mixture into the dish
    melt the jam in the microwave and then spread over the base
    crumble on the remaining oat mixture pressing it down lightly
    bake in the microwave for 7 minutes on full power
    cut into squares and cool in the dish.

It is delicious and any jam can be used also a Christmas version uses mincemeat and has icing sugar dusted on top.

Will pop back later to update my post as I've got to dash out now!

TTFN x
    Do what you love :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family