PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fusilli sounds about right for the type of pasta to use.

Well - personally I always add salt and pepper where specified. One can always add a little extra afterwards if you think there's not enough - but a pinch of salt and a few "grinds" of my peppermill go into all savoury dishes.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    the pasta pie was quite nice actually.. worth a try. maybe i should do 2 versions of the same dish one with seasoning the other without and see if i notice any difference. its just i feel i want the ingredients to speak for themselves and not be masked by the salt/pepper etc, do you see what i mean?
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Last night I made weezl's gnocchi - using a mix of fresh left over mash and some instant with value flour

I whizzed up a can of value tomatoes and tomato puree, mixed them with sauteed onions and stock cube. Into that I put 100 grams of cooked beans. (I soak and cook a whole pack and then freeze in portions.)

Peppers can be added.

Cook the sauce and then as the gnocchi was cooked I dropped it into the sauce. Served with a sprinkle of cheese.

Lovely.
  • moanymoany
    Options
    is there any difference between chilli powder and minced chilli when adding to a recipe?

also between garlic crushed and minced garlic?

sorry i'm still learning....!

I've discovered that an easy way to deal with garlic is to peel and grate on the nutmeg side of my grater.
  • moanymoany
    Options
    Mock Goose -

Quantity 4 helpings
    Ingredients
    1 and a half lb Potatoes
    2 large cooking apples
    4 oz cheese
    half a teaspoon dried sage
    salt and pepper
    three quarters of a pint vegetable stock
    1 tablespoon flour

Cooking time 1 hour

Scrub and slice potatoes thinly, slice apples, grate cheese. Grease a fireproof dish, place a layer of potatoes on it, cover with apples and a little sage, season lightly and sprinkle with cheese, repeat layers leaving potat oes and cheese to cover. Pour in half a pint of the stock and cook in a moderate oven for three quarters of an hour. Blend flour with remainder of the stock, pour into dish and cook for another quarter hour. Serve as a main dish with a green vegetable.

This is a wartime dish and is really delish - well worth a go if you have some wrinkly eating apples or cookers.
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Try this one, it's delish!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=336033

Loads of vege recipes on this thread.

HTH
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    How important is a freezer do you think for money saving? I dont have one, just a fridge. I thought it would be hard, but a lot of veggie protein I can get from dried and canned pulses/lentils. It was on my list of things to get but I'm considering not bothering now as a new f/f will cost over £200.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well - if you can afford one then I think it would be helpful. Obviously one has to bear in mind the running costs - as well as initial purchase costs - so do make sure it's rated A or, better yet, A+ - so that it uses as little fuel as possible. Certainly modern freezers use a LOT less electricity than freezers used to do.

Well - I'm just thinking what I have in my freezer - various boxes of surplus fruit, some weeny-size containers with 1oz of butter in each (I use very little butter when I need it - so it stops the rest going off), spare milk, (sometimes) spare homemade bread. I buy big bags of nuts (much cheaper per oz. to buy them that way) and split them into smaller containers and store these in the freezer. I soak and then cook up (in a pressure cooker) whole packs of dried beans and then split them up into smaller containers to go into the freezer. It will help save you from the temptation of buying readymeals if you keep the basis of various meals and spare "portions" of anything you have cooked (eg pasta sauce, curry sauce) in the freezer and just take one out before you go out to work for the day.

Freezers arent just about readymeal storage you know;) :D

EDIT; As you live on your own - there is also the practical point that there might be times when you are too ill and/or too busy to do the shopping. In which case - it is very useful to have spare milk/bread/cheese/etc in - then at least you know you can still eat okay.
  • ivfmummy
    ivfmummy Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Pasta with lentils (suitable for freezing)

225g (8oz) split red lentils
    1 large onion
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 garlic cloves
    400g (14oz) can tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    15 fl oz water
    2 tablespoons wine optional
    freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in large saucepan or frying pan and fry onion and garlic for 10 mins until soft about 10 mins. Add tomatoes, herbs cinnamon, lentils, water and wine and bring to boil. Simmer for about 25 mins until lentils are soft. Taste and season.

Serve with spagetti as much as you like to eat I normally do about 3oz each.
    Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Yummy yummy
  • want2bmortgage3
    Options
    thanks for that one ivf , i will try it for sure. i do look out for recipes with a protein source, such as lentils. a lot of veggie recipes dont really include a 'proper' protein source. one recipe i will post soon is a bolognaise sauce which includes bulgar wheat, mushrooms and soy sauce, its quite nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure