June 2014 Grocery Challenge

edited 18 May 2014 at 7:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
636 replies 42.1K views

Replies

• atolaasatolaas Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Just done my 1st shop on the challenge and managed to everything I needed for £11.73. I'm hoping that I won't need to go food shopping for the rest of the week as I'm off on my hols on Friday..a long weekend on the south coast! My 1st holiday in 2 years...really looking forward to it. Have a good week everyone x
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • atolaasatolaas Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    FRIZZLE wrote: »
    Bought a bread maker at the weekend and realised my little pot of yeast is not going to last long. Where is the best place to bulk buy yeast?

Try ebay.. Just typing a few more words so this will be posted!! :rotfl:
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been shopping this morning and now have all the meat I need for the rest of the month except for some burgers from the butchers (he does SW ones which are made with extra lean mince).

Have now spent £101.49/£250 with another 3 weeks to go! I think it's going to be quite tight, although should only need bacon, bread, milk, fresh fruit, salad & veg, I think!

Denise
  • malamaymalamay Forumite
    793 posts
    Hubbs and I went shopping over the weekend - the scan as you go option is great for us as it holds his interest for much longer :p

Spent a whopping £63.18, although the total was 93.75 before offers and my armload of vouchers and cashback!
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

xspender can you post the recipe for the butternut squash dish on your meal plan? It sounds lovely and I have a BNS in the fridge.

2tbsp olive oil
    300g bag of butternut squash
    6 eggs
    2 tbsp milk
    2 cooked best root diced
    75g goats cheese

Heat the oil and fry the BS for 5 mins, reduce the heat and cover the pan. Cook for a further ten mins stirring occasionally until the squash is soft.

Beat the eggs and milk together and season.

Cut the beet root the same size as the squash add to pan and fry for a couple of mins before pouring over the eggs. Move mixture about till beginning to set, cover with a lid and cook for 5 mins.

Scatter goats cheese on top and pop under grill for a couple of mins.

Nice with crusty bread or new pots and salad.:)
    PAYDBX 2020 £6,339.44/£10,000 63.4%
    Target CC - £0/£1030 SIF by Nov 2020
    Target Loan - £0/£493.43 by Nov 2020
    Big Emergency Fund Part 1 - 52%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 189 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple so spends to add from the weekend in M&S and sains. We should have most of the meat in for the month now except maybe a gammon joint and some GF sausages.

As DH is away until late Wednesday I am just going to eat out of the cupboard and fridge and should hopefully have enough fruit in to last until the weekend. We definitely have enough of everything else!

Tomorrow I am going to list the contents of my cupboards and freezer which should hopefully help me stay within budget and not buy stuff I have already got. 3 bottles of lemon juice??:eek:

We took DS out for an Italian meal (with a gift card) at the weekend and he wolfed down his pasta bolognaise. I don't tend to cook with mince as I don't eat red meat but will turn the half a pound in the freezer into bolognaise for DH and DS and will make a lentil bolognaise for me.:)

I just need to work out what to with a bowl of past-their-best eating apples and half a punnet of sad mushrooms.
    PAYDBX 2020 £6,339.44/£10,000 63.4%
    Target CC - £0/£1030 SIF by Nov 2020
    Target Loan - £0/£493.43 by Nov 2020
    Big Emergency Fund Part 1 - 52%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 189 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • peony40peony40 Forumite
    518 posts
    ✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I have just put my £100 in my purse for this month's grocery budget. I am hoping that if I have to hand over the money it will make me more aware, rather than when I shop online.

On my second NSD, i have made a loaf and some shortbread biscuits as out of both. Dinner tonight is left over cottage pie, and mixed veg and a few extra roast potatoes for hubby.

It is good to know that there are others on the same journey, it is encouraging to read all the posts.

Peòny
    2019 Sealed Pot Challenge 107
  • giengien Forumite
    1.6K posts
    I did a lot of shopping today, so I'm hoping it will last well into the weekend. Main shop was at Ald! with little bits that they didn't have at other supermarkets.
    Total spent 173/500
    Trying to keep in budget.

• sheeppapparsheeppappar Forumite
    252 posts
    Hello hello may I join in please? I'm not setting a budget this month but want to lurk on the thread for everyone's tips!

I used to be on here a couple of years ago - since then have got married and moved house so in dire need of moneysaving again.. starting with the grocery budget.

I used to love all the recipes & thrifty ideas I read on here, as well as everyone's encouragement for each other, so am coming back to join in again. Have a fab June everyone :)
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • I didn't need anything but when popping to a local charity shop this morning I nipped into the Co0p, spent £7.40 on 2kgs of mince beef that was reduced from £16.

That makes £7.40/£70 but won't need anymore shopping until the weekend as I have enough food in the house to last. Hoping not to spend too much at the weekend either as DH and I are away for a long weekend and DD's are at home alone and if I buy cupboard treats before I go away they certainly won't be there when I get back! :rotfl: