Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 98

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tesco shop was delivered at 9.30am. Looks like I am trying to feed the 5000 :) Total was £111. But as I said earlier there is tons of meals in there, hopefully around 3 weeks of meals.

I have but the gammon in the SC for dinner tonight. It's a bit of an experiment tonight as all I have added is around half a bag of soft brown sugar. I covered the bottom of the SC with it and then put the gammon in and then covered the top of it as well. Will let you know after dinner tonight whether I have ruined 2.2kg of gammon :eek:
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • kerri_dfwkerri_dfw Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks lemmings, printed and will use on next shop it's valid until 4th feb
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • Thanks Tracey, new recipes are always gratefully recieved :cool:

Here is the recipe for the flourless chocolate raspberry cake

Serves 6-8

300g plain chocolate, chopped
    225g caster sugar
    175ml boiling water
    225g salted butter
    6 eggs, separated
    1 tsp instant coffee powder
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    200ml creme fraiche
    250g raspberries
    1 tbsp plain chocolate, grated
    Icing sugar to dust

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.

Grease and line a 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.

Blend the chocolate and sugar together to form a fine powder. Add the boiling water, butter, egg yolks, coffee powder and vanilla extract and mix well.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until slightly stiff, then use a metal spoon to gently fold them into the chocolate mixture.

Pour the mixture into the tin and cook for 45-55 mins until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool, then transfer the tin to the fridge for 2-3 hours.

To serve, remove the cake from the tin and place on a serving plate. Spread the creme fraiche over the cake and then scatter the raspberries on top. Sprinkle grated chocolate over the top and dust with icing sugar.
    mandco wrote: »
    once we finally finish all the xmas carp will be starting on a new heathly eating plan which no doubt isnt gonna be cheap(why is it all the heathly stuff seems so much more expenisve?) so gotta do some price checking for the best deals around esp on f&v and search out some tasty but low fat/calorie meals

goodluck everyone

If you want low fat/calorie meals look on the recipe list at the start of this thread there is a slimmers world adapted recipe list for tasty meals.

HTH

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 posts
    Morning all

We're off out for a meal tonight so no cooking for me :j. It's a 50th birthday party for DD's boyfriend's dad - a nice carvery in a local pub and at only £6 per head, it's a bargain ! :money:

I'm finally on the mend after my awful cold/virus too, feel much better today :D.

I'll probably have to buy some potatoes/veg for the weekend but I have everything else in. I'm also going to get some fabric conditioner as it's on offer and I have a coupon so it's worth buying a few.

So, at the end of the first week of January, I should be well under my £69 budget. I have quite a bit of food in for next week already. :T I'm very happy with the way things are going this month :D.
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi....i got the meat out for a stew...when defrosted it turned out to be mince so going to make some beefburgers with it....stew another day

im going to make a chicken curry for tea tonight and some fried rice...maybe some pudding but not sure what....did my shopping list for next week and have planned some meals so everything ship shape with the gc presently...unless i have forgotten summat:p

quin twins...we should start an empty the freezer club and encourage each other...anyone else trying to do same

take care today the weather is horrible in my (usually) lovely bit of the mids

tess
    onwards and upwards
  • hi....i got the meat out for a stew...when defrosted it turned out to be mince so going to make some beefburgers with it....stew another day

im going to make a chicken curry for tea tonight and some fried rice...maybe some pudding but not sure what....did my shopping list for next week and have planned some meals so everything ship shape with the gc presently...unless i have forgotten summat:p

quin twins...we should start an empty the freezer club and encourage each other...anyone else trying to do same

take care today the weather is horrible in my (usually) lovely bit of the mids

tess

hi tess yes i think thats a great idea,i cant remember the last time i saw the back of my freezers they are going down,but everytime i make something ive been putting the leftovers in so still quite full :D
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • edited 5 January 2012 at 12:53PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 5 January 2012 at 12:53PM
    Just back from my first shop since Christmas Eve, and I am quite pleased .I got lots of fruit and veg at Sainsbobs plus a good sized Chicken as I have my friend coming to stay for a few days tomorrow.and I had £.7.50 in nectar points to knock off the bill so it only came to £7.09 then I went into M&S and bought a few bits in the food hall for us as a treat, and got my beloved King Edwards spuds.

I asked in Sainsbobs and was told we don't bother stocking them much as its cheaper to get 'vivaldi or other potatoes.Well I'm sorry but I find that strange to me the best potato although maybe a little dearer is a King Edward and I won't be co-erced into having what supermarkets tell me to buy.
    I told the 'suit' in there as well and he probably thought I was a grumpy old woman, but who cares, he looked about 12 to me, and maybe I am, but I am also a customer without whom he wouldn't be able to walk around telling women old enough to be his Mum how to suck eggs
    rant over back to sweet little old lady mode :)

The lady on the till in M&S agreed that she too preferred KE spuds so its not just me then
    So in all I spent £7.84 in there and came home only having spent £14.93 from my purse and now have no shopping to buy for at the very least another week if not more.Onwards and upwards chums
    JackieO xx
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Tracey :T Will add the bits to my next shopping list to make for the family. I think it will be demolished.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Can I join please? Put me down for £380, I'm not entirely sure what we've spent so far but baby steps...
  • mumsiemum wrote: »
    I keep thinking I have enough groceries to not have to visit any shops - then I find I've missed something! Usually I can find alternatives in my cupboard but not always :o

So today went for a top up shop which came to £60.89 :eek: I did buy washing powder, loo rolls, rice and meat so we SHOULD be OK (said that the last time :rotfl:) and put some items back which were not on my list before checking out. good to know im not the only one :rotfl:

Still under budget though (Yep I know its only day 5!) and will try very hard keep control of it.

Have a good day everyone

MM

went to s*insburys this morning to stock up on fairy non-bio (£10 per box) got 3 boxes, which is roughly a years worth for us for £24 as i used a £6 off £30 spend. had to be super strict with myself as i kept looking as the offers, and did take advantage of a few so total spend today was £35.01.

lid! have 500g mince in their weekend offer at £1.09. so gonna be stocking up as our local always sells out pretty quick. hoping to get 5 packs but will take what i can get as every little helps lol