Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

December 2011 - Grocery Challenge - Page 55

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

December 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 17 November 2011 at 11:18AM in Old Style MoneySaving
964 replies 77.3K views

Replies

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pipney, I personally use them as discounts. For example I spend £50 and have a £5 voucher so I have only spent £45 of my budget. I think most people do it like that on here but obviously it is up to you.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • PipneyJane wrote: »
    Question for the forum: do I count Tesco vouchers as money in my GC budget or as discounts? What is the general consensus? We've got about £60-worth.

It depends on how you're doing your budget I think. Most people would count that as discount but I'm doing my budget so that I can make an accurate budget up for next year, so I like to record everything I would have spent iyswim. For example, if I was going to spend £60 worth of vouchers I'd count them towards my budget so that I know how much food etc I have used this month. Does that make sense?

I've been shopping today, MrT for shopping & a few Christmas/birthday bits, plus Lidl for veg & meat. Total GC spend of £60.41 giving me a current total of £357.27. So that leaves me with just over £160 for 1 weeks shopping plus this weeks top ups. It would be lovely to come in £60 under budget.
    Clean credit file:12 mths
    Car loan: FREE! :j
    THE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt £8808.42(£3254.45, £1570.32, £2698.33, £0:dance:, £1000, £285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc £150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /£1500 4.Save for our B&B £????depends which one takes our fancy :D
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...cold today with talk of snow so i have been out and stocked up on milk....also got some nice croissants for christmas day breakfast (will put in freezer)....got stir fry for tea and going to make a pie for tea tomorrow....think i might do fajitas later in the week

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Hi everyone

Can i join in? Have been tracking my spending from Dec 1st and total at moment is 109.70/250.00. Have been running down freezer and am at outlaws for Xmas dinner so hope to stay in budget. Am having few friends over for New Years Eve but am hoping by browsing thru previous threads I'll be able to not spend too much.

Forgot to add just me and 5yr old daughter (with expensive taste)!!
    October GC: 97.83/250.00 :j
  • Spent in Sainsbobs £40.47. I had a £4.00 voucher come through so that brought it down to £36.47. Well chuffed for a weeks shop :T
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • ooopsy!... had hoped for a nsd yesterday but after yet another trip to the docs and her making some suggestions for changes to my diet needed to pop in for a few bits. Ended up spending £14.82 on various bits and bobs. Could have done with out it but figer that if eating differently helps make me better and saves my having to spend £14 a week on perscriptions it's not too bad.

Have been and done our main shop today, spending £35.12 at A1di. They've got some really good offers on veg at the moment and hoping with a bit of careful planning should be able to make it stretch until we go to mum and dads for chrimbo :)

Right off to wizz up some yummy soups from my bargin buys!!

tink x
    :j

Sealed Pot Challenge #1505
    'you wouldn't worry about what people think, if you realised how seldom they do'
  • stephga23 wrote: »
    Hi all

After lurking for a very long time I have decided to come out of hiding and ask to join :D

There is me, OH, 2 cats and a rabbit in my household and currently spending anywhere between £200 - £300 per month (the more being the more takeaways we have :eek:)

I get paid on the 22nd of the month so can I take part in this months or do I need to wait to January to start?

I will be aiming for everyone in the household to have been fed on £200.
    Well you can do it either way and of course you don't have to go from payday to payday either it its easier not to. I do mine from the 1st of each month and simply calculate my spends from my spending diary. It makes no difference-whatever is easiest for you. I would be inclined to suggest you could otherwise pick the day of the week you prefer to start it from and go from there for now. Maybe use Saturday as your start date? Thats why I use the first of the month til the end though-too confusing otherwise!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's dinner was SC Sausage and Bacon Casserole :)

I browned 8 sausages off and then chopped them in to four and popped them into the SC. Then fried off two medium onions a two cloves of garlic, chopped. They went into the SC and I bunged around 250g bacon ( left over from yesterday's dinner :) ) into the pan and fried that off and into the SC. Then I bunged in frozen peppers, peas and sweetcorn and chopped carrots. Next a tin of kidney beans and two of chopped tomatoes went in. Around three tblsp mixed herbs and half pint of chicken stock.

Can be served with potatoes, mash, jacket potatoes, crusty bread or as it is.

Has fed us five and enough left over for a couple of HM freezer meals. I reckon that lot probably would cost around £7 to make and there is probably around 7/8 meals in there.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • cleggiecleggie Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Hi All. Spent £200 at Lidl the other day, so waaaay over my target, but that IS including my xmas shop!
    Will start again in Jan!
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tigerfeet. your SC Sausage and Bacon Casserole is in the index, another good one :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener