Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

really old style living? - Page 221

New Post Advanced Search

really old style living?

edited 16 February 2011 at 10:44AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 293.9K views

Replies

• Ok, tin of Roses aside ... I have millions! I love plotting and planning and these are some of the things I want to do.

• Minimise waste - try harder to use meal plans and shopping lists
    • Only use my fair share of resources - if I need something try to get it from freecycle or secondhand. Minimise landfill! Buy ethically and keep it to needs, not wants.
    • Maximise my health without fretting or being obsessed
    • Be kind to everyone
    • Share whatever I've got
    • Don't be attached to my possessions
    • Spend time in nature/outdoors
    • Eat well and ethically and lose weight healthily
    • Cultivate friendships
    • Grow stuff ... whether it be sprouting seeds or growing in the garden, will depend on where I end up living
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I melt down the choccies I dont like and roll them into balls, then roll in dessicated coconut or icing sugar, then put in petit fours cases and give them to family. Hoping that they'll think they are expensive handmade chocs. :)
  • NualaBualaNualaBuala Forumite
    2.5K posts
    There are choccies you don't like???? :eek:
    That came as a bit of shock Mar!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

• stitching_witchstitching_witch Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    My OS plans this year include:
    - meal plans for every week, not just when I remember
    - waste absolutely nothing
    - continue to stock the pantry when things are on offer
    - freeze left over bread until there's enough for breadcrumbs
    - freeze apple/orange/lemon peel to make "compost heap jelly" as per Pam Corbin from River Cottage
    - make full use of the allotment instead of "playing" at it :o
    - join WI market to sell some of my produce
    - learn how to make soap properly as it's on my '101 things to do in 1001 days' list (first two batches were a disaster!)

I'm sure there's loads more to add, but that's all I can think of at the moment :)
    Making magic with fabric
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    2.5K posts
    Stitching Witch, I'm interested in the compost heap jelly - do you have a recipe or a link please?

Am also planning to try soap so if you have any tips, send 'em this way! :)

• edited 2 January 2011 at 9:53PM
    stitching_witchstitching_witch Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 January 2011 at 9:53PM
    Compost Heap Jelly

makes 3 x 225gr jars

500g apple cores and peel
    500g citrus fruit peel cut into 1cm shreds
    granulated sugar (see below)
    1.5 litre water
    Juice of 1 citrus fruit (optional)

Put apple cores, peel and citrus peel in saucepan with water. Bring to simmer and cook slowly for 45-60mins. Turn into jelly bag and leave overnight to drip.

Measure strained liquid and weigh out 450g of sugar for every 600ml of juice. add fruit juice if using. Bring liquid to boil, add sugar, stir until dissolved, then boil rapidly without stirring until setting point is reached - approx 10 mins

Remove from heat and stir until all surface bubbles have disappeared. Pour into jars and tap to remove any remaining bubbles. Seal and use within a year.

Sorry, I have no hints on soapmaking, mine was awful. I just need to practice a bit more.
    Making magic with fabric
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good interesting stuff on there Witch ! I wish I could stop wasting food. I wish I could meal plan. I wish I could stop wishing and get DOING !
    2.5K posts
    Thanks a mill Stitching Witch, that's fab! :T I love the idea of using up stuff that would be thrown on the compost heap!

Go easy on yourself Mar - aren't you meant to be resting and letting the RV take care of you?! I wish I did all those things too :o

15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the couch resting mother. But my mind never rests !! it carries on plotting away ... was thinking I started this thread yonks ago to enable me to cut down supermarket trips and I havent done it yet !
  • i have kept and frozen apple cores and peels for years, and when there is lots I make apple and ginger jelly, or apple and rosehip. then i read about the compost heap jelly in the river cottage preserves book a few months ago. my freezer now has bags of orange and lemon peel in there, sitting and waiting for me to get a free day to use them all up.

jam cupboard is getting a bit low so that day has to be soon.