New Post Advanced Search

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 October 2010 at 12:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.3K views

Replies

• rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just made something very simple for dinner tonight- so yummy , so simple and so cheap. That is why I am going to share it with you. ...

sounds good, I'd like to add it to the recipe index, what do you call it please? ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben wrote: »
    sounds good, I'd like to add it to the recipe index, what do you call it please? ;)

Opps, I don't really know what to call it- it is passed to me from my mum. Shall we call it 'Cheesey Dough' :D - But I am glad you like the sound of it. I fried 3 of them and had it with georgeous salad as a dinner tonight. God it is only 5.30 pm and I already had my dinner:eek:

Couple of more points on this,

*you can freeze it,
    **instead of cheese you can use veggies such as aubourgine mixed with tomoto cubs or you can make it with mince and onions.
    **Please make sure that the shape it flatish, it fries better with that way.

XXX
    Don't forget smiling :):):)
  • adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Went to market for fruit and got 3 apples, 1lb dates, big melon, bananas and 2lbs asparagus for £3.25 :)
    The asparagus had been damaged so most of the tips were snapped or bruised so it was so cheap! I've blanched 1/2lb to freeze and add to cooking and the rest is turning into a soup. I've got a good arsenal of frozen and fresh long life veg to get me through this month :)
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Thanks for your good wishes rosieben, still feeling rough as a dog! :(

Hello and welcome to the many newbies joining us. :hello: I wish you and all fellow GCers good luck for this month.

Btw, greent I saw your amazing achievement on the October thread, well done, truly awe inspiring saving! :T:money::T

For some reason the multi quote ticks didn't keep so sorry no quotes. But I think just doing the GC generally makes you more aware of the prices of individual things like apples and it does come into much sharper focus when you are buying fewer things. That's all good though! :p

I buy all my meat from the local butcher. Two reasons, I don't like supermarket meat and he uses local-ish (and at the very least all British) suppliers. A lot of it is free range too. His eggs are far bigger, tastier, and cheaper than the sm. There are two of us and we probably spend anywhere between £7.50 and £20 (a rarity) per week with him depending on what we fancy. :D

We've managed two NSD, yesterday and today, but once my head clears I have to look at doing a big shop. I'd rather do it all in one online but I can't get my non-homogenised milk that way so will have to go to either MrM or MrT from work one day this week.

I've updated the sig. Going to update on the MFW thread and then I'm off to wrap myself up, eat some nice food (I hope) and get an early night. As I was in bed most of Saturday and all day yesterday I couldn't flaming sleep last night so a couple of hours before having to go to work has stretched me hugely.

I'll see you all later or tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Yeah 1st NSD :j

Just got sausages out of the freezer for tea tomorrow with mash & beans - yummy easy tea.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • ShysarahShysarah Forumite
    535 posts
    Yay first day and first spend... whoops.. Seeing as I did not actually need much I spent well too!

Spent £17.77 in Ald! £10 voucher so £7.77 Also got Walnuts and Mini Choc Bars for my Christmas Hampers but they are going to come from the voucher..

So Ice cream, BNS, Leeks, Chorizo, Passata x 4, Sugarsnap Peas, Maple Syrup (reduced by £2), Cheeses, Nuts etc topped up the cupboard and fridge.

Off to update sig xx
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    :A Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon) :A

• edited 1 November 2010 at 11:39PM
    cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 November 2010 at 11:39PM
    First spend of the month as I left work.

Butchers section had a couple of packs of 10 beef burgers (850g/pack) reduced to clear - didn't think £1.99 instead of £2.66 was especially good, but knew (from experience) they won't hang around for a later reduction and much prefer these to the cheap frozen things that are supposed to pass as burgers. But then I noticed the 1/3rd off sticker, and realised they're normally £3.99 - so the reduction efectively took them to half price, and I succombed to both packs ;)

When I got to the chilled section there were a couple of packs of 4 extra large pork sausages (360g per pack, so 90g per sausage). These showed as being reduced from 85p to 45p each pack - but the lass was busy doing the next round of reductions so I cheekily asked (as I often do) if they were still for doing..... and I got them for 19p/pack :D

So that's £4.40 to be deducted from my GC budget - with £3.94 into the tills at Mr M, and 4p change (from original £4.36 total) and 42p staff discount into my sealed pot

That's at least another 14 teas covered, but could be as many as 28 - if I put the burgers into buns I'll use them one at a time, and I've been reducing the number of (smaller) sausages I have at each sitting so may manage with just one as long as I have a pile of veg alongside the mash as well :) If I average it out as 21 meals worth of meat, it works out at just 21p/meal, which is good news for my budgets :T

EDIT : Forgot the Whoopsied carton of Strawberry & Banana Smoothie (750ml) I picked up for 49p instead of £2 - put it straight into fridge, didn't need to repack for freezers, and didn't get receipt out before doing update ;)

So that's actually £4.90 to be deducted from my GC budget - with £4.37 into the tills at Mr M, and 5p change (from original £4.85 total) and 48p staff discount into my sealed pot
    Cheryl
  • GintotmelindaGintotmelinda Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone!

Just been to Mr A and they have 4 tins of tomatoes for £1. They were in the foyer of ours.....Much better than the Mr S basic carton which is now 37p eeek!

Hope this helps people.

Take care

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • Glad to say today has been an NSD and i made something from store cupboard ingredients for our evening meal. Off to a good start, however, tomorrow i'll be going out for a meal in the evening and then going to the cinema and eating popcorn and lots of other crud that is bad for me :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • triticaletriticale Forumite
    771 posts
    ✭✭✭
    rosieben wrote: »
    well done, tritacale! it all sounds lush, any recipes you could share with us please? ;)

Hi rosieben,

Most of the recipes are either totally basic, or taken from the fab people on here!

The oat cookie recipe is this one http://www.be-ro.co.uk/recipe/showrec17.html with 40g chopped walnuts added, but I rolled little balls and flattened them rather than rolling thin and cutting, makes a chunkier cookie and takes 5-10 mins longer in oven.

I made a batch last night, they really don't take long and are so worth it for being convenient and filling

Choc orange muffins are these from the recipe index http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=10762129&postcount=748 but without the juice, just the zest. They are absolutely lovely.

Yorkshire puddings were Jami3 Ol!vers from here http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/roast-beef-baby-yorkies-little-carrots-c, but I put the oil in to heat with the pan and they took 5 or so minutes longer than he says. Had them with savoury mince & veg - they were that nice that DDs & I ate all 12 - between 3 of us!! (Smallest is only 6 but is like a human skip :D).

Pancakes were the leftover yorkie batter but with a spoon of sugar added.

Pizza base was from here, but it took me so long to search for the one I liked the look of, I can't find it again! So apologies to the original author, this is what I wrote down:

225g bread flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp easy blend yeast
    150ml warm water
    1 tbsp olive oil

Mix dry ingredients, add liquids & knead (or punch the heck out of if you're DD2!) for 10 mins
    Prove in a warm place for 30-60 mins (I did 30 as I don't have time to wait for yeast to get it's behind in gear!)
    Knead & roll out, place in greased baking tray, top, bake at Gas 7 220c for 20 mins or until done.

I topped it with tomato puree, mozz cheese and ham/onion/sweetcorn/whatever I had spare. I know there are quicker pizza base recipes without yeast but I am a deep pan fan.

Wedges were just tossed in oil and salt/pepper/paprika and straight in oven (not pre-boiled). They do take a while though so am considering trying preboiling.

Sausage rolls were just de-skinned morrisons jumbo sausages in basic shortcrust pastry. I have always loved sausage rolls but am fussy with bought ones - I like them with lots of pastry and well cooked (=totally dry!!!)

I made enough shortcrust to top my chicken and broccoli pie - made a basic white sauce, added the brocc (lightly cooked in micro) and leftover chicken bits, brush with milk & voila - lovely pie! The brocc fell apart a bit and flavoured the sauce beautifully.

Hope this helps - I often become vague with (non-baking) recipes and just make it up as I go along. I have no idea of the proper timing for half the stuff I make - I just keep checking it until it's done! Used to drive ex-hub bonkers, 'how long till the spuds are ready?' 'i have absolutely no idea' LOL.

Now I'm really hungry but have very painful womanache and don't really want to stand up cooking. :( It might well be oat walnut cookies for my tea! :rotfl: