Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
128 replies 251.7K views
1789101113»

Replies

• badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps we need another name as in he she it.  Not sure I would appreciate being referred to as an it though.  Perhaps that is why so many on here use names that could be e(it)her.
  • _TinRibs__TinRibs_ Forumite
    9 Posts
    First Post Photogenic
    MalMonroe said:
    MalMonroe said:
    Why only the 'Old Boys'??!

There must be thousands, nay hundreds of thousands of Old Girls!!

How very discriminatory.
    Speaking as an 'Old Girl' there are far more pressing problems in the world today than this perceived discrimination ! 

Nope, from one 'old girl' to another, I don't think so. And turning a blind eye doesn't help either!

Monroe. Will you just stop going in to threads that don't concern you and posting bollox.
    You need to change your username to "Meddlesome Ratbag".
  • edited 13 December 2020 at 8:05PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 December 2020 at 8:05PM
    MalMonroe said:
    MalMonroe said:
    Why only the 'Old Boys'??!

There must be thousands, nay hundreds of thousands of Old Girls!!

How very discriminatory.
    Speaking as an 'Old Girl' there are far more pressing problems in the world today than this perceived discrimination ! 

Nope, from one 'old girl' to another, I don't think so. And turning a blind eye doesn't help either!
    Mal - it looks like you may have a couple of years or so on me, so likely that you joined the WRAF/WRAC/WRNS in the early 1970s or even the 1960s.

Like me, you will have found that being a woman in uniform back then meant that you needed a thick skin and a very good sense of humour.  Petty differences such as the term 'old boys' instead of 'old girls' really didn't matter.  And still don't to me.  As I said before, there are far worse things happening in the world than this !

P.S.  How long did you serve?  I did 22 plus, so once I got 2 and then 3 stripes on my arms I was better placed to deal with certain attitudes.  Petty ones, such as this, were quite rightly just shrugged off.
  • SparkleiciousSparkleicious Forumite
    1 Post
    Photogenic First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello from the land of Oz, maybe no one is on here to answer my question. But here goes :)
    I joined the WRAF in 1979, i remember being told the laws had changed in 1975 for pensions.  And the government were paying into a pension scheme for anyone joining after 75. So I completed just over 2  1/2  years knowing I would get a smallish pension. I was 21 when I left on marriage.  I was 18 1/2 when I signed up.
    I also remember a corporal at the time trying to get a couple of girls to stay for two years to get a payout, needless to say they left after a few days of joining.
    So I downloaded completed and returned my paperwork will all relevant information.
    only to be told I’m not entitled to any pension. I have found  the RAF news letter saying anyone who joined after 75 is entitled to a preserved pension. Is this different to a deferred pension. Confuzzled lol
    anyways I’ve had all my paperwork returned to me in Australia saying I’m not entitled to anything. I’m 60 next month so thought I would have got a little amount :( 

• Thunderpants1817Thunderpants1817 Forumite
    25 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I served from 1979 to 1999 when I was medically discharged and am now aged 62, I don’t think I qualify for a preserved pension as I receive a medical war pension. Anyone advise.
    Best Regards
    Thunderpants
    :smiley:
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello from the land of Oz, maybe no one is on here to answer my question. But here goes :)
    I joined the WRAF in 1979, i remember being told the laws had changed in 1975 for pensions.  And the government were paying into a pension scheme for anyone joining after 75. So I completed just over 2  1/2  years knowing I would get a smallish pension. I was 21 when I left on marriage.  I was 18 1/2 when I signed up.
    I also remember a corporal at the time trying to get a couple of girls to stay for two years to get a payout, needless to say they left after a few days of joining.
    So I downloaded completed and returned my paperwork will all relevant information.
    only to be told I’m not entitled to any pension. I have found  the RAF news letter saying anyone who joined after 75 is entitled to a preserved pension. Is this different to a deferred pension. Confuzzled lol
    anyways I’ve had all my paperwork returned to me in Australia saying I’m not entitled to anything. I’m 60 next month so thought I would have got a little amount :( 

Unfortunately not, as pre 1988 you needed at least 5 years of pensionable service (ie, from age 18) in order to qualify for a preserved/deferred pension. 

• edited 29 May at 6:04PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 May at 6:04PM

As Silvertabby says, unfortunately they are correct.
    These are the basic rules for eligibility and dates of changes  to help you understand why
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60

• edited 29 May at 6:08PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 May at 6:08PM
    I served from 1979 to 1999 when I was medically discharged and am now aged 62, I don’t think I qualify for a preserved pension as I receive a medical war pension. Anyone advise.
    You will be in AFPS75, so doubtful that you would have received anything else at 60 - but it wouldn't hurt to ask, as there are different levels of war pensions.

DBS Veterans UK Joint Personnel Administrative Centre (JPAC)
    Veterans UK Pension Division Mail Point
    480 Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street Glasgow,
    G2 8EX
    Tel (Civ): 0800 085 3600