Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 86.6K views

Replies

• Hi thanks for the reply.

With regards to the carpets, I also believe that it's every 10 years but I have had mine changed and I've lived in mine for 6 years now. That was about 4 years though. I just kept asking and they give in in the end. You get to choose the colours of the new ones too.
    :oCurrent Debt £38,000:o

• kitchpookitchpoo Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Sorry folks, but the wheels and systems of MHS are so big and cumbersome - placing me under such a huge amount of pressure that I have handed my notice in!! Though all is not lost, as I'm going to be a contractor working on another base nearby for Defence Estates directly! so I should be able to continue with the advice.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • EmmEveEmmEve Forumite
    260 posts
    Once upon a time, long long ago, I thought no service could be worse than DE. Then MHS came along and proved me so wrong!:rotfl: . 'Tis all i'm going to say.

Congrats on the new job hope it goes well for you. The advice will still be much appreciated :beer:
  • Marker_2Marker_2 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sorry to hear that Kitchpoo, hope your new job is less stressful.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • kitchpookitchpoo Forumite
    1.3K posts
    MHS have done so many good things, but its the detail and the initial contract agreement screwing it all up. I spelt out a few home truths in my resignation but I am under no illusion of it actually changing anything.

Just to give some up to date info - DE Housing Officers positions are deemed to be under threat with a high level of duplication. As such they are justifying their position by picking up more and more defects, backcharging occupants etc - making MHS' (and my) job so much harder and intolerable. I have a feeling MHS may surrender the contract before contract end.
    Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Good luck in the new job Kitchpoo.

I have a question about tiles :-)
    I clean my bathroom every week, including scrubbing all the tiles down, so I know this has happened in the last week, but I have 3 tiles which have a very faint hairline crack running through them horizontally, the three tiles are side by side. I have a march out at the beginning of October, so should I just leave it and let the next person sort it or do I ring MHS? I am really quite wary because I have heard horror stories about people being billed for the silliest things on move out, but this can only be wear and tear IMO (because I know I didn't do anything to the tiles lol).
    ANy advice appreciated! thanks :-)
  • Medieval Housing Solutions sums up my experience. Almost 3 years to repair a leaking roof that eventually brought down the ceiling in one of the bedrooms
  • Hi,

Could anyone tell me when you are eligible to apply for Married quarters?

My OH is starting his basic training soon and then if he gets the job he wants he will be in his phase two training for two years after that. Do we ahev to wit until his training is over?

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Lauren
  • lauren1983 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me when you are eligible to apply for Married quarters?

My OH is starting his basic training soon and then if he gets the job he wants he will be in his phase two training for two years after that. Do we ahev to wit until his training is over?

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Lauren

When he completes phase 1 training you are entitled to a quarter presuming you are married. You will not be given one before as if he doesn't complete phase 1 training he will be discharged.
  • Thanks for the fast reply sparky.

Just to make sure im right with what im thinking.

Is phase 1 his basic training?

I also ask because we were told we couldnt get MQ until after his trade training :confused:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support