PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What 'dry' weight per portion for rice and pasta?

Options

Comments

• lbr102
    lbr102 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    I always just add the rice to a pot full of boiling water and then drain at the end. It seems to come out well.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    Eyesparky wrote: »
    Depends on appetite but I would say 1 mug to 2 mugs of boiling water. Cook in a pan with the lid on (absorption method). Alternatively, use the same proportions but put in microwave in a bowl without any lid for 11 minutes full power. Always works for me (secret is the boiling water). Once you have done it once you can adjust quantities to suit in the future.

How big is a "mug"?

Thanks
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Schrodie

this older thread should help - what dry weight per portion for pasta and rice. If you cook too much you can always refridgerate the rest to incorporate into the follwing days meals :) The pack will also have recommendations for portion sizes

I'll merge this later on

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Eyesparky
    Eyesparky Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    How big is a "mug"?

Thanks

Good point. All my mugs are pretty much the same size so don't know what to suggest ;). The important thing is double the boiling water to the rice using the same mug/cup/receptacle for measurement. See how you go and adjust for next time. (Just to be clear 1 mug of rice should do 2 people)
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use one slotted spoon full per person, which is normally myself and OH, it dosn't look as if these enough to feed a sparrow, but it expands.

Enough boiling water to cover, then keep toping up for about 20 mins.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    It turned out reasonably well and no waste, thanks for the continuing help :j
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use 2oz uncooked weight per person, Basmati rice.

I always use the 'plenty of water and drain when done' method.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2-3oz per person here if being used as a side dish, say with a curry, or 3-4oz if for a main course rice dish like paella or risotto.

For ordinary boiled rice I use the plenty of water method. If I'm going to eat the rice straight away I strain the rice in a sieve and pour a kettle of boiling water over it to wash off any loose starch. Otherwise I drain then rinse the rice in cold water under the tap, allow to stand to drain for ten minutes and refridgerate immediately.

As to what type well, basmati for curries, risotto rice for risottos, brown rice with chilli (because it astes nicer imho) and easy cook long grain white for almost everything else.
    Val.
  • SpaceMonkey
    Options
    I just tip some in a pan, add boiling water,stir, simmer til cooked.
    I always make too much, so next day I make something with it for lunch. Just cool it quick and get it in the fridge as quick as poss ;)
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    I use 2oz dry weight per adult and then use 2floz of boiling water per 1 oz of rice and use the absorption method. Fool proof for us.

So for 4 of us:

8oz rice and 16floz boiling water. Put in pan with lid and bring to boil. Immediately turn down to minimum temp and leave for 10 mins or until all water absorbed. Take off heat and leave for 5 - 30 mins without removing lid. Will stay hot and very flexible for serving.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport