PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What 'dry' weight per portion for rice and pasta?

Options

Comments

• charliee_3
    Options
    on weightwatchers they call 60g dry weight of pasta a 'large' portion... not in my book!!! hmmm maybe that's why i'm there... lol
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I usually do a 500g bag of pasta for the four of us (me, hubby, adult ds1 and 18yr old ds2).

With rice, I've found that filling my jug to about the 250ml mark is just enough, but I'm not sure how much that weighs.

After reading the replies to this thread, I was thinking that we must be eating huge portions, but it's only hubby who's overweight, so I'm not worried about our portion sizes.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pasta 75g dry weight per person, so I tend to do 180g for me, DH and DS, as DS only eats half a portion at most.
    Rice, I don't weigh normally but tend to do half to 3/4 cup for us all, again me and DH eating more than DS.
    This might sound meagre compared to some of you but we mostly will be having something else with it. I making mac cheese/stuffed pasta then I will use a bit more pasta as the pasta is the main part of the meal then, iyswim.
    We are both average height and slim build (DH more slim lol).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always thought it was 50g of pasta per person, always felt like a pig when I cook 75g. At least now I know I'm normal :j
  • StrawberryYogurt
    Options
    We use about 80g of rice per person here, but that does depend on what I am bulking out the meal with. Same with Pasta, roughly 70 - 80g a person, but if I am doing just a sauce and no "filler" with it, then I will up it to around 90g a person...it all depends really x
    Thankful For My LBM
    Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts.
    :A
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another reason I'm going wrong with food it seems.
    I cook 10oz dried rice for 2 of us, have cut it down from 1lb since joing MSE and thought I was doing so well.
    Pasta I cook 1/2 a packet, so that's about 250gms??
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• miss_cupcake_2
    Options
    I cook 10oz dried rice for 2 of us, have cut it down from 1lb since joing MSE and thought I was doing so well.
    LL

Eek, I do about the same :o No wonder I'm not losing much weight! Will definitely weigh out pasta/rice from now on. If it looks meagre then I can always up the veg content (usually have pasta with a tomato/veg based sauce) and hope OH doesn't notice :p
  • charliee_3
    Options
    ... and ww 'large' portion of rice is 90g (3oz) dry weight which seems quite generous...
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LL

:eek:

I had to go and weigh 10oz to see how much it was. It came up to the 400ml mark in my jug. That's a huuuuuuge amount for only 2 people! And you used to use a lb? Blimey!

So I then weighed how much rice I use. 250ml is about 7oz and that is plenty for 4 adults.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    rice i do half a cup per person - my 2 kids are 11 and 3 and in my mind equate to 1 adult portion between them so 1.5 cups, though tbh ds and I prob eat the same amount, hubby more and little un whatever she fancies - sometimes a teaspoon sometimes a whole bowl! For pasta I do half a 500g pack for all of us.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport