PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)

Options

Comments

• Austin_Allegro
    Options
    Aido wrote: »
    I happened to stumble across two Demijohns at our local car boot this morning and at 50p each I couldn't leave them there.
    So the thing is I've never made wine before. My granddad used to make beer and I have fond memories of his special shandy's but I wouldn't know where to start on my own wine as he passed away many years ago.
    If there's already a post on this topic I apologise and if someone would be kind enough to link it that would be great x
    Thanks in advance
    Aido

Winemaking is dead easy - check the internet for the simple recipes. At first don't worry about things like secondary fermentation, specific gravity, bla bla bla just do a simple juice wine (prison wine) recipe to get the hang of it. You don't even need special equipment, just a big jar (5l water bottle will do) balloon for airlock, and some rubber tubing for syphoning. Milton sterilising tablets are fine for sterilising. The hobby 'bible' is CJJ Berry's 'First Steps in Winemaking' which you can get cheaply from Amazon or charity shops.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • K2t
    K2t Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,
    I am wanting to make something alcoholic and fizzy, perhaps elderflower cider/champagne?
    If someone would be able to give me a dummies guide on how to do this the easiest possible way? Also, equipment/ingredients needed that would be amazing! Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for parsnip wine? My parsnips are large already and I heard that parsnip wine is excellent
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys, I have finally taken the plunge and ordered some home brewing equipment for wine and mead making! It will be for my own consumption and will make nice gifts for friends and family.
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I'm reading this thread with interest, I make wine, mead and cider too. Just thought I'd point out (if it's not been done so already) that it's not safe to sterilise glass demijohns with boiling water - they are not made of Pyrex, and thermal shock - very hot or very cold - can crack or weaken them. It might be okay the first few times you do it but one day it'll go! Likewise, plastic water-bottle demijohns will just melt under boiling water, and if you're pouring in hot sugar solution or anything, let it cool a bit first. Sterilising fluid or a bleach solution is better.

K2T - I will dig out my elderflower champagne recipe, although you need very strong bottles for it - the kind champagne and sparkling wines come in, with the proper corks and wire cages. It's notorious for breaking glass bottles and even plastic fizzy drinks bottles, due to the amount of pressure it makes.

Cider is very easy, the tutorial at the start of this thread is good. SM value apple juice is fine to use, and I usually add 1/2 litre of cranberry juice or mixed berry juice or something to help round out the flavour, or 200ml of polish fruit syrup (Lowicz). The apples used for the juice are low in tannin, which gives the cider bite and body, so either add a tsp of winemakers tannin per gallon, or a half mug of super-strong tea. Cider benefits from long periods of aging - after 6 months it will be much better than when first made!

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooooh we've just started wine making....today i'm doing exotic FJ with white grape juice :D £2 for 6 six :T:money:
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    627657d0b71d11e282b422000a1f9ab7_7.jpg

Elderflower champagne in to brew, have some sturdy fizzy drinks bottles to syphon into in a few days time and will regularly check their pressure.
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Options
    Did you use dried elderflower.....?
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Did you use dried elderflower.....?

Yes I found a recipe which used it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    37b24848bb2211e291e622000a1f9d57_7.jpg

Champagne has settled to become a much more appetising colour. I have now bottled my brew in PET fizzy drinks bottles. Bit more brewing time and I will be able to sample my efforts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback