PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)

Options

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    the Young's winebuddy are supposed to be one of the better "7 day" kits. But mine was a disaster ;)

Looked like they gave me a rose instead of Chardonnay syrup and it would not ferment even after 10 days! end up chucking it.

I got a Wilko's own kit (£20) including a glass Demijohn. It's been going great this past two weeks :) nearly ready to bottle.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I,ll give it a go and keep my fingers crossed, if it's not good, I have a tribe of teenage (over 18) children, who will drink it with lemonade :o
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A question, if I may ....

I have pounds and pounds and pounds of gooseberries. First lot already in the fermenting bin for sparking wine.

I have a plan to do some non sparkling wine, and my question is this -

Is it "ok" to use some red grape concentrate with one batch to make a rose wine? My gooseberries are green but I'd like to make a variety of wines.

If not, what can I use?

Please and thank you very much! :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got myself a black cherry kit from Wilkos for £6, it will be going in the demijohns later.
    Queen of Cheap do you grow the gooseberries? I can rarely find any in shops and want to make an elderflower and gooseberry white wine :)
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Got myself a black cherry kit from Wilkos for £6, it will be going in the demijohns later.
    Queen of Cheap do you grow the gooseberries? I can rarely find any in shops and want to make an elderflower and gooseberry white wine :)

I do - I inherited a few rather large bushes on the allotment. I can't eat them all so I'll drink them instead :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 30 June 2015 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Black cherry wine stage one completed :D

11694801_938671505445_1316904219706042297_n.jpg?oh=19ac0d90c469d7febbd396e6110e2d87&oe=561BD668
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Topping up the fermenting wine with more water today and making a start on elderflower champagne too.
  • S0litaire
    Options
    My Chardonnay is ready to be bottled over the weekend.

Unsure whether to use old wine bottles or a 8ltr jar I have that's got a tap in it...

That way I can give it extra time to settle and mature also easier to pour..
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 4 July 2015 at 4:42PM
    Options
    2 demijohns of elderflower champagne brewing, black cherry wine still fermenting. Have had an idea re gooseberry and elderflower wine, I will get a gooseberry wine kit and add elderflowers to it. It will either work or it won't anyway.
    I have also got 3 jars of posh honey I got as a gift, I am not a big fan of honey on it's own so I may well make it into mead.
  • S0litaire
    Options
    2 demijohns of elderflower champagne brewing, black cherry wine still fermenting. Have had an idea re gooseberry and elderflower wine, I will get a gooseberry wine kit and add elderflowers to it. It will either work or it won't anyway.
    I have also got 3 jars of posh honey I got as a gift, I am not a big fan of honey on it's own so I may well make it into mead.
    Never tried mead.
    Never a big fan of honey... Golden syrup on the other hand....
    Laters

Sol

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback