PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Some People..... O.o

Options
So I got to my new flat today to do some decorating and, lo and behold... the vendors next month's supply of contact lenses have been delivered! lol! I am not sure what to do about this as it's the weekend and her solicitors aren't there... They are from specsavers, will specsavers want me to send them back? I don't really want to have to pay to return HER lenses that she's not bothered to have redirected... If she hasn't bothered; 1) does she really care?) and 2) can I just leave it?

I am concerned about the moral implications of just letting them rot really. It seems a strange thing to forget about when you move. TBH I don't think she has bothered redirecting anything as we are getting a lot of her stuff (including what looks like bank statements)
Kavanne
Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

Comments

• lauranurse
    lauranurse Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Just cross through the address, write "no longer at this address" on it and stick it back in the postbox. It should be returned to specsavers.
  • lauranurse
    lauranurse Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to say, congratulations on your new flat!
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    lauranurse wrote: »
    Just cross through the address, write "no longer at this address" on it and stick it back in the postbox. It should be returned to specsavers.
    Aaaah that never crossed my mind because it is such a big box!! I reckon I can squeeze it into a post box though.... She won't mind if it's a bit battered, I am sure!!

I wonder if she's run out/noticed they've not arrived yet.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• mr.broderick
    mr.broderick Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kavanne wrote: »
    So I got to my new flat today to do some decorating and, lo and behold... the vendors next month's supply of contact lenses have been delivered! lol! I am not sure what to do about this as it's the weekend and her solicitors aren't there... They are from specsavers, will specsavers want me to send them back? I don't really want to have to pay to return HER lenses that she's not bothered to have redirected... If she hasn't bothered; 1) does she really care?) and 2) can I just leave it?

I am concerned about the moral implications of just letting them rot really. It seems a strange thing to forget about when you move. TBH I don't think she has bothered redirecting anything as we are getting a lot of her stuff (including what looks like bank statements)

Congratulations on the flat, are they coloured lenses or clear? You could always throw them on ebay, night be worth a few bob.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on the flat, are they coloured lenses or clear? You could always throw them on ebay, night be worth a few bob.
    Haha I have not opened it! The box just says 'Contact lens service' on the sticker so I am assuming.....

If I was a true moneysaver I would totally eBay them! But unfortunately I am worried she might come a-knocking.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

• Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on how you feel about it, really. Would you be happy for the people at your previous address to keep something of yours? Or would you prefer them to try and pass it on to you?

The postal redirection service doesn't work 100% of the time, but it sounds like the previous owners may not have set it up yet anyway. Disorganised, maybe, but understandable.

If it is too big to go in the nearest post box (with the no longer at this address thing), and you don't have contact details for the previous owners, you could always contact the Estate Agent on Monday to say that there are some postal items that need to be collected by the previous owner.

Might even be handy if you can't work out how to set the hot water. ;)

Congrats from me on the flat, too. Which "lifestyle statement" are you going for in your paint colours? :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd have sneaked round to her new address ahd shoved them quickly through the letterbox.

I moved into a house once and the previous people had forgotten/left an entire life's worth of birthday cards/similar. They were at the back of a shelf in a cupboard.

I just rushed over there, hoping to not be seen... and stuck them through the door.
  • maryotuam
    maryotuam Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you ring her or leave a message with her solicitor? The poor girl might just be a bit dizzy and you know yourself moving home is very stressful. We informed the Post Office when we moved to redirect our mail but they just ignored us. The same happened to my MIL. So it might not be the vendor's fault.
    It's great to be ALIVE!
  • ryandj
    ryandj Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved into our house, the lady had the mail redirected for a month. After that, we gave it to the estate agents for a couple of weeks who passed it on, then did the 'not at this address' re-mailing thing, now it gets recycled - looks like junk/ catalogues and stuff!
  • zebulon
    zebulon Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    I just rushed over there, hoping to not be seen... and stuck them through the door.

:rotfl:
    I bet they are still wondering who on earth could have done this ;)

Re. the parcel I would not personally want to keep it, throw it, sell it etc...
    at least a return to sender, then depending how you fell, how bothered, get in touch with EA/solicitor whatever
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure