PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Objecting to Planning Permission?

Options

Comments

• ClassicMad
    ClassicMad Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Harryhound.... have I missed something or are you replying to someone elses post? I don't want to move, I've been here for 13 years, and I definitely don't want to build on.....
  • ken_and_dot
    ken_and_dot Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Beware of this one.
    I bought a house in June. Lovely South facing rear garden (for a terraced house in a town centre).
    At he back there was a 7ft wall, a carpark and then about 100 yards away a supermarket. It was one of those single story jobs with a huge tiled roof, that would not look out of place in ancient Egypt.
    Come November, December, January the sunny back garden got exactly 20 minutes of sunshine, as the rising sun peeped between an office block and the supermarket. It then spent the rest of the day, just below the sloping ridge lines of the supermarket. If one wanted any sun, one could go into the upstairs bathroom and open the window:eek: Very "bracing" in January:rolleyes: and a recipe for "permafrost" in the garden.

The planneers would likely take the view that loss of sunlight such as this is of less concern in the middle of winter than in the height of summer. That is why I mentioned April to Spetember in my earlier post. You are not likely to want to sit out and sun bathe in the height of winter are you?
  • ClassicMad
    ClassicMad Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just for the record... my complaint isn't really "lack of sunlight", it's lack of daylight. Putting the house on the plot as proposed will virtually be the same as erecting a wall directly outside my windows. The roof height is 7.74m high at a distance of about 8m away (at a guess)....
  • susieb
    susieb Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would just like to say I sucessfully objected on behalf of my parents who live in a bungalow and the owner of a house behind them put in planning for 2 houses which would directly overlook mums house. I objected on reason of overlooking and backland development, the parish council also objected, and the plans where refused.
    4 months later he has reapplied this time for chalet houses, and we have objected again, still on the same grounds.
    I dont know if we will be successful, but the chalets are much smaller and it will have cost him money to reapply. They will still overlook so I am hoping the objection is still valid.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
  • planning_officer
    Options
    It is strong grounds for objection if the new dwelling significantly affects the amount of sunlight falling onto your rear garden. There is software available which will enable you to determine the amount of shadow falling onto your garden based on the height of any proposed building at any specific time of day. However, such shadow falling during the winter months would give less grounds for objection that shadow falling between, say, April to September.

Not a particularly strong objection in planning terms - if a development is going to overshadow a primary habitable room window, then yes, a very strong objection.

There's a big difference between sunlight and daylight in planning terms - yes, sunlight has some merit, but loss of daylight to a primary window is a far more weighty issue.
  • planning_officer
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    From experience objecting to planning permission is a complete waste of time not to mention a stressful experience :mad: :mad: :mad:

Faceless people grant planning permission and when things go wrong they are not interested so it was up to me to take the builder to court, oh the joys... Yes our objection went to commitee...

My own opinion is that people can build what they like where they like ...

... er, yes, complete anarchy - unplanned development everywhere - no control on design, privacy, lots more commuting, car travel, pollution, destruction of landscape, unsustainable piecemeal development with no communities.... er, no thanks.
  • planning_officer
    Options
    UncleMonty wrote: »
    You need three objections for it to be taken to committee or an interest from a Councillor.

Varies from Council to Council - hardly any 2 are the same! Sometimes it's the number of objections, sometimes it's just Councillor interest, sometimes if the Parish Council object... there's no 'national' rules for taking applications to committee.
  • bostin
    bostin Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "My own opinion is that people can build what they like where they like ..."

Whilst I disagree with that statement, in my experience there are some areas of the country where this is more likely to occur than in others!
  • planning_officer
    Options
    ClassicMad, did you find out which detailed matters were considered and approved under the outline permission? (i.e. layout, scale, appearance, landscaping or access).
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    From experience objecting to planning permission is a complete waste of time not to mention a stressful experience :mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree with this. But then the reason is that one needs to understand the objections that count and those that don't. Most of us object on "personal" terms, whereas planning laws & policies are generally there to control development suited to the locality, in general.
    Faceless people grant planning permission and when things go wrong they are not interested so it was up to me to take the builder to court, oh the joys... Yes our objection went to commitee...

... but I don't agree that "faceless people grant planning permission". Planning officers are simply doing their job. They don't make up the laws & policies (government & councils do that) - but they do have to apply them.

If a plot is within the development boundary, then something WILL get permission. All the applicant has to do is to submit the plans for the right kind of something .... and if they approach the planning officers, they'll get pointed in the right direction.
    Now that all the building is finished and I find the rural cottage of my dreams for sale the credit crunch hits :confused:

Within the development boundary or outside of it? ;):D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure