PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fruit / herbal Tea

Options

Comments

• dbs
    dbs Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Checked their website unable to find fennel seeds but there is a store in Nottingham thanks.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Useful to smash the seeds a bit before brewing as the essential oils are better released.

Also, cover the pot or cup while brewing so the aroma does not escape with the steam.

Baldwins do mail order fennel seeds, see this link: http://www.baldwins.co.uk/perl/go.pl/shop/adv-search-results.html

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • dbs
    dbs Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best place I have found is an asian foodstore in Derby sells 375gram bag of seeds for 89p.

Was paying 50p for 100gram so lots cheaper makes great tea as well.

Good result.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had a nice mug of twinnings Blackberry & nettle tea and looking at the ingredients I wondered if it would be possible to make my own (perhaps not as I don't have hibiscus, strawberry flavouring and blackberry flavouring in my larder!)
    But I was wondering if anyone on here made their own herbal tea and if so how? I have quite a few herbs and brambles growing so I wondered if it was as simple as say picking some mint leaves and pouring hot water over them. And if it is that simple does anyone have any receipes/combinations that work well?

(I am sure I will now find out that I'm one of the few on here that don't make their own already:D )

Ta
    K.
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have made a couple of herbal teas .... but that's about it.

I have dried mint in a jar in the cupboard, which I obviously use for my mint tea, instead of purchasing it.

I also make (on occasion) a tea which is good for colds which includes sage, thyme, ginger, honey and lemon.

With the mint tea, I either use fresh (in the Summer) or dried in the Winter, and yes, it's just a case of dried mint.

With the 2nd ... ditto.

Sorry, can't help on the raspberry tea etc. Would be interested to see other's replies.
    GC - March 2024 -
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I used to make raspberry leaf tea. Just picked the leaves on a nice sunny day and dried them in the micro for about 1 min (depending on power available) store when cool. I used about 1 dessertspoon in a cup of boiling water and then strained after a few mins. It's very good for easing period pains.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • FTB83
    FTB83 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi catznine

I have just started to try this - I have used fresh mint leaves exactly as you suggested, and it tastes lovely, quite a bit fresher than the bought stuff.

I've also tried rosemary (a bit bizarre I know, but thought I would try it) - it was quite nice and, apparently, if you make a lot of this and let it cool, it's great to pour over your hair after you've just washed it - my herb book says it leaves it silky and shiny - well anything's worth a go if it's free! (well, pretty much anything!)

Let us know how you get on.

FTB83
  • dolly_day_dream
    Options
    FTB83 wrote:
    Hi catznine
    I've also tried rosemary (a bit bizarre I know, but thought I would try it) - it was quite nice and, apparently, if you make a lot of this and let it cool, it's great to pour over your hair after you've just washed it - my herb book says it leaves it silky and shiny - well anything's worth a go if it's free! (well, pretty much anything!)

Let us know how you get on.

FTB83

Before I lost my rosemary to builders tramping all over my garden I always used to do this. BTW I am past 50 and still have waist length hair:eek: I simply refuse to grow up. :p You just make a jug's worth of rosemary tea and use it for the final rinse. It does leave a wonderful shine but my daughter who has blonde hair uses chamomile instead because that has a lightening effect.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can make all different kinds of herbal teas, and they're so easy. With reference to your shop bought one, as far as I recall, most flavoured teas use hibiscus for a base regardless, it isn't really anything special, and if you use the correct start, nice fresh herbs, you certainly don't need it.

Mint tea - Nice and refreshing, great cold. Just take fresh mint leaves (or dried if that's what you have), I find tearing them up a bit gets them going, and pour boiling water over them. Most herbal teas require longer to brew than standard tea, so give it a few minutes.

Chamomile tea - very relaxing, and good for blonde hair, as said. Also nice to use the flowers (after making your tea), wrapped in a bit of muslin as an eye mask.

Sage tea - Very popular in turkey, kind of a cure all, especially if you get a cough. Not to be confused with the entirely artificial apple tea (or tourist tea as it's commonly called). Bit strong for my liking, maybe an aquired taste.

The BBC website gives you heaps more ideas here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/complementary_medicine/practicalexercises_herbalteas.shtml#some_herbal_infusions
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have just made myself a mug of herbal tea (cheaper way of warming myself up than putting the central heating on !!) and the thought occurred to me that it's probably possible to make your own if you grow your own herbs. rather than buying expensive commercial varieties.
    Has anybody tried this, and if so, how do you do it and which herbs are the most successful?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure