June 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 211.1K views

Replies

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    *shuffles in rubbing her belly* :p

By Eck... just had a scrummy lunch :T .. veered off my meal plan as i had some stuff i wanted to use first..so the extra meal i don't use will become a weekend lunch ;)
    Anyway i did some of the pork fillet i got whoopsed yesterday in a marinade of garlic, rosemary and thyme, lemon roast potatoes and pan fried/wilted chard and spinach(from my pots :j ) with spring onion, carrots and peas... oh lordy lordy that will be a definite repeat meal... the pork will also be done again to go in tortilla wraps or for the BBQ

ooohhh and a NSD today... i need to get one in somewhere this early on and i have spent a fair bit allready... mind when hubby left for golf this morning he asked if he was to stop off at the naffi on his way home on a whoopsy search... and he nearly passed out when i said i couldn't wedge anything else in the freezers :rotfl: he reckons he is doing his bit -by eating his ice-creams..purely to make some room :rotfl:

Lainz...watch the spinach bread -it goes off really quickly.. the birds had my last 1/2 piece this morning :rolleyes: . Have found another spinach based bread recipe that i will be trying out -will let you know if i think its better ;)

right im off to let my lunch settle -whilst x stitching.. will post your recipes later Victory :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • BleachbirdBleachbird Forumite
    64 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi all,
    just updating. spent £5 on bbq stuff yesterday. Thankfully we had the bbq last night as it is chucking it outside now!
    well done everyone and some lovely ideas already mentioned.
  • happytailshappytails Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We went out last night for a few drinks to celebrate a friends birthday and aimed to spend £30 between us - we spent £75 - so ashamed! i will be putting this under Grocery challenge as i want any takeaways/alcohol to go on it so i now have

£16.91 left for the rest of the month on groceries and similar :eek::eek::eek: oh dear.

It all started off so good
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mandy_Moo_1 - you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! no plot spoilers here, all i'll say is it's bleddy fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

ended up only getting a drink for OH, as that was £3 on its own :eek: but we shared it and it was out of the money my mum supplied ;)

just going to relax, read the papers, mooch across the boards and chill for the rest of today, might sit outside as the sun is lovely
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• JennyBee_2JennyBee_2 Forumite
    390 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hiya - popped to Tesco today as needed some new trousers for work. Unfortunately also ventured into the reduced section....

Carrots x 2 39p -> 10p
    Mushrooms 74p -> 10p
    Spring Onions 93p -> 19p
    Kingsmill yummy seed & nut bread x 2 £1.47 -> 22p
    Bread Rolls 88p -> 13p
    Hot Cross Buns 89p -> 13p
    Choccy Desserts x 2 £1.08 -> 54p

Seeing as I never have any luck on whoopsie hunts I was well impressed with this! Ended up spending £4.38 instead of £11.03!

Also, I made a white loaf yesterday which has got the thumbs up from the OH so hopefully we'll now be eating HM bread with the odd reduced yummy bought one for the freezer!

Am going to attempt to tidy the house this afternoon but this pregnancy lark seems to be sucking the life out of me! I have never been so tired in my life and to be honest, it sucks!! :( Anyway - must keep going :)

Bye for now!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • skintscotslassskintscotslass Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Hi, I made tablet for church meal a few weeks back- it did not set (poured late afternoon and not set by nearly bed time) so I just tipped back in a pot and heated, this time more fiercely and for a bit longer! Poured into tray again, then refrigerated once cooled. Set a treat and everyone said they liked it. It was just like Scottish tablet (although they call tablet 'fudge' here)!
    hth
    PS Not professing to being an expert just wanted to share my experience!

Thanks OrkneyStar - I'll give it a go :)
  • tiptoestiptoes Forumite
    386 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've just don e big Mr T shop to stock up on store cupboard stuff and spent £72 :eek: . Though was running l;ow on things so hopefully have everything I need to have few NSD now.

Oh I was also wondering would gala apples be ok for apple crumble as have a load and not sure what to do with them?
    GC: £400/ £0
  • Annie021063Annie021063 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Yay!! Just picked the first two lovely lettuces from my allotment, no more money to be spent on those for the next couple of months.
    Going to Mr T to get a few essentials, hopefully will be able to whoopsie a bit.
  • searching_mesearching_me Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    TWINK I LOVE YOU!!!! :rotfl: i did the hobnobs and although i left them in the oven alittle longer coz i forgot but they are georgous :rolleyes: half of them are already gone (im blaming it on my dd :D ) i also bake aload of other stuff ready for school tomorrow... her pack up is going to be over flowing :rotfl: been a nsd as you can imagine so plus on both sides yay!! im a happy bunny :rotfl: xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tiptoes - i use whatever apples i have for crumble, just add less sugar to them and they should be fine
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals