June 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 211.1K views

Replies

• SoshSosh Forumite
    175 Posts
    Well I now have a veggie patch :j , I have carrots, swede & spring onions growing. Tomorrow I can collect my "spud butt" so I'll start them off as well. DH also found some old pots left in the shed by the previous owner. they're the perfect size for growing herbs in so on Monday I'll be off to the shops for some more seeds.

I'm quite excited by the prospect of digging up my dinner.
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • KITTY_2-2KITTY_2-2 Forumite
    263 Posts
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi KITTY :T on the weight loss...
    Im affraid im the opposite side of the coin to Victory :o .... i spent years WWing and have done all the others plus slimfast, lipo trim etc and went up n down like a wh*res drawers:rolleyes: -excuse the saying :p
    This time around i finally realised i needed to find a way i can eat for the rest of my life... so i have dumped most low fat, low sugar, diet products :D
    I have butter, full fat mayo, yogurts, milk etc, i do cook from scratch -but always have really.. at first it was quite scary as i was so conditioned to having low fat products i did expect to balloon even more.. but it hasn't happened... in fact i have lost every week -even whilst back home for xmas:p
    The way im eating now is so liberating as im not constantly thinking ooh can i have? or if we are going out im not panicing about how many points etc i have left to use..
    Over on the OS weightloss thread quite a few of us have gone back to "normal" foods and are finding it works.. i really do believe that all the synthetic stuff messes up your system and makes you crave more... well mine seems to... I get no cravings for junk at all not even when its TTOTM-which is a miracle
    I started in August and had no chocolate until xmas day -at my mums..but didn't enjoy it and have had none since -the smell of it makes me feel sick (although i did have the paul mckenna CD for a few weeks..so i think that might have done that ;) he tells you to link your fave food to something you can't stand so i thought of choccy and remembered the taste of whiebait...the devils food:o and now if hubby has choc in the car i have to have the windows open :j )
    The basics i try and stick to are
    • I eat what i want when i want..so if i want cereal for lunch i will and if im hungry for lunch at 10.30 i will have it then -spent years think ooohhh dinner time -must eat :rolleyes:
    • I put out a sensible portion and tell myself that if im still hungry 30 mins after eating i can have something else -and it has never happened.. i have always had a hard time leaving anything on my plate
    • I have no good/bad foods.. so find that i naturally choose the healthier options -but if i want something like say an ice cream ..i enjoy it and then im done..no feeling like i have blown it so may as well eat more... in fact hubby has ice cream i pinch 1tsp and im satisfied :eek: ..and i used to adore ice cream-of any kind :o
    EKKKK sorry..better stop rambling... but i would suggest visiting us on the thread... its a really lovely group -if a little crazy at times.. everyone is so helpfull and always swapping hint n recipes.. and most importantly there is always someone there to cheer you along when things are going well and to pick you up when they aren't ;) . Keep on going you are doing great.. there is no dealine is there? and every little bit off is taking us in the right direction :T
    i will go away now and be quiet :p

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query MrsM :A

I have popped into the weight loss thread, but as I usually follow Slimming World I have been posting on the Red/Green thread on the DFW board. I know that any loss is a good thing I'm just frustrated that I'm not getting anywhere. Patience is a virtue that passed me by :p

I'll see how I go at weigh in on Monday, though to be honest I was that fed up after last weeks mimsy 1/2 lb, that I haven't followed the plan as rigidly as normal. If I'm not getting anywhere I may as well try another way. Might even try to find the Paul McKenna cd.

You have done so wonderfully that I can't wait to see you get to goal and hopefully I'll be following along behind you :D

Best of luck Kitty
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • lainzlainz Forumite
    400 Posts
    Why is it when I have no money I have an overwhelming need to shop :confused: . Luckily I only got a few bits and pieces I needed so not too bad. Been in the kitchen tonight as nothing on the telly and have made spinach lasagne and a version of MrsMc's spinach bread (anyone guess what's growing in my garden :rotfl: ) They were both nice - but just missing something :rolleyes: . Will have to see if I can cram them in my freezer! I have a 5ft one and it's just me :rotfl: !

Good luck everyone!
  • ChuzzleChuzzle Forumite
    625 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi
    SFT - thanks for sharing OB with me - I was thinking maybe old b*gger!!

Spendaholic a lovely idea for rhubarb is to stew some and lay it on top of some ginger biscuits in an oven proof dish and then spread some meringue on top of it - I adapted a recipe i found on recipezaar.com and it went down a treat a few weeks ago. I'm not a great lover of rhubarb but I lurve this! The ginger biscuits melt into the stewed rhubarb.

I'll hunt out the recipe and type it up later for you all.

I've had a great day today, DH and ma went and weeded the allotments this morning - I don't do gardening, I've tried but just can't get excited about it!! Someone has pinched 30 of our onions, DH is heartbroken. Ok we still have 470 growing :eek: but thats not the point!

While DH was out I've made and part baked 24 rolls which are in the freezer, 2 bakewell tarts which are cut into individual portions and sit in the freezer and I've also made a boiled fruit cake (Mary Berry Cake Book) and its cooling on the side ready to be portioned up and frozen. That's DH cakes sorted, tomorrow I shall do the kids cakes!!

Both DS's went on the train into Norwich today. DS1 had been working for his uncle this week so decided he was going to take his £100 and buy himself some clothes. He came back with £5 and 1 pair of shorts! the shorts cost him £45 :eek: the rest of the money went on lunch and a computer game for his brother (aaaahhh). I only buy his uniform for him all other clothes he buys from his own money which he earns, he has a part time job at a corner shop. He will soon learn that he can't buy one item of clothing for £45 very often!!

Well I think I've waffled loads there, I shall get back to reading the rest of these pages.
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • mandy_moo_1mandy_moo_1 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Mrs Mc and pip-squeak many thanx for your advice on the beetroot :D the leaves are quite a decent size now, so hopefully the beets will be ready in another couple of weeks

No fair Mrs Mc i haven't got any flowers on me spuds yet :( you must have much better weather over there ;)

well my first week went better than i thought....i managed to put just over £20 in my sealed tin this week :T don't need to buy anything tomorrow (hmmm famous last words :rolleyes:)

hope this nice weather stays with us for a while, catch up with you all tomorrow. i'm off into the kitchen to set the BM to come on in the morning before i go to bed xx

• galadrielgaladriel Forumite
    217 Posts
    This thread just races, when I go back to work on Monday I will never be able to keep up with it :D Have had five non spending days in a row as I can't be bothered to make the effort to get smartened up to go out. Have had a lovely time slobbing about, walking the dog, doing a little baking and NO housework. The weather has brightened up so managed to mow the lawn and do a bit of tidying in the garden. Things will change tomorrow as we have run out of fruit and veg so may venture to Morrisons as my lovely mum has saved all the Sun vouchers for me. Will have to take a calculator as I don't want to spend much more than the £30.

• dink1dink1 Forumite
    197 Posts
    Lainz you are not the only one that feels like shopping when you really aren't meant to. Keep strong I am sure the feeling will pass (thats what I keep telling myself:rotfl: )!

Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • Have just posted Junes first weeks menus is goes like this -

*Burgers and Beans
    *Fish & Chips
    *Pasta with Pesto & Bacon
    *Lasagna & Wedges & Salad
    *Nasi Goreng
    *HM Pepperoni Pizza
    *Roast Lamb Dinner

Only need chicken,lamb,potatoes,bread,strawbs,oranges,bananas and broccoli as have the rest in stock as well as a weeks supply of kids treats.

Kids have a variety of items in their packed lunches and I usually am resourceful with keeping it healhy and interesting,depending whats on special in the F & V department.Cucumber and carrot sticks with a dip go down well,as do the latest Twinks treats,no egg choc cake and carrot muffins.

Tomorrow will be a NSD as most shops are closed and I will steer clear of the mad market as the tourists have landed!!

Still usin my out of date HM baked loaf as toast so that's what the kid's will have tomorrow might try eggy bread and with whats left blitz it for breadcrumbs as I have a teeny space until this weeks food is removed.Roll on a bigger freezer I could do so much more.
    G'nite all

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • chocolateteddychocolateteddy Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    galadriel wrote: »
    This thread just races, when I go back to work on Monday I will never be able to keep up with it :D Have had five non spending days in a row as I can't be bothered to make the effort to get smartened up to go out. Have had a lovely time slobbing about, walking the dog, doing a little baking and NO housework. The weather has brightened up so managed to mow the lawn and do a bit of tidying in the garden. Things will change tomorrow as we have run out of fruit and veg so may venture to Morrisons as my lovely mum has saved all the Sun vouchers for me. Will have to take a calculator as I don't want to spend much more than the £30.

Don't forget Tesco will take sun vouchers I found Morrisons was more expensive and because I don't usually shop there didn't find much I wanted so will be using mine in Mr t's instead
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• mumzyof2mumzyof2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Anyone have the recipe for a big bakewell tart?
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides