British Gas Central Heating Care

Options
I have signed up to British Gas Central Heating care, got my appointment booked for 27th Sept, any one know if I am covered now if something was to happen before the inspection??

also anyone know how through the inspection is? If indeed they show up

Comments

• helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    They have always turned up for me, and they have always done a good job!
    Not sure if you covered till they done inspection though!!

helen21
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robodan wrote:
    also anyone know how through the inspection is? If indeed they show up

depends on the engineer - usually ok, they at least clean some bits of the boiler, some check radiators for leakages - some don't. the worst one I had turned up late in the day and just connected a tube to the boiler and took a reading, said it was OK and buggered off - how crap is that?
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Yes depends on the engineer. They all do that reading on the boiler.
    Some do more than that by cleaning boiler checking radiators. One engineer even went up into the loft and checked the tanks up there.

Usually they just do the reading and clean the boiler.
  • coolbreezes
    Options
    You are covered straight away. My heating broke down prior to inspection and I was covered. Have had great service from them and the engineer always bleeds radiators etc. Never had meter read by them thats done by someone else, shame as it would be handy.
  • isayoldchap
    Options
    Sooler wrote:
    depends on the engineer - usually ok, they at least clean some bits of the boiler, some check radiators for leakages - some don't. the worst one I had turned up late in the day and just connected a tube to the boiler and took a reading, said it was OK and buggered off - how crap is that?

Sooler
    I am shocked to read some of these posts.I thought this was the kind of shoddy work I expected from Heatcall.Surely you got a print off giving the test results?Trading Standards would be pleased.
    Other information shows
    your cust.ref no./ work ref/appliance/gc number/area location/burner pressure/vent results/flue results/appliance sound/combustion performance first
    test/combustion performance last test.

It also states
    'thank you for your valued custom.British Gas is committed to ensuring that your appliances are operating safely and in accordance with current legislation.

It does make you think how quickly they were trained or whether they are on some kind of bonus.

If you feel strongly that this has not been carried out to your satisfaction,contact them.The number for East and South East,based in
    Aylestone Road,Leicester LE2 7QH is 0845 9 500 400.
    Use www.saynoto0870.com (and try the unverifieds section )to find the geographical number hopefully saving you the local call rate.

Unsure if on the first inspection they just fly through it.

Remember you have paid for the service to be done to the correct standards.
    Your gas system may have a problem.Get it checked out and complain.
    https://www.house.co.uk/cgi-bin/house//house/containers/journeyRedirect.jsp?BV_SessionID=HHHH0877888497.1127326725HHHH&BV_EngineID=cccgaddfkgeejfecefecfngdfhidflo.0&_txtJourneyKey=contact_us_filter&contactUsSubject=generic&thirdParty=true&strShowContactCenterNumber=false&txtJourneyStep=0&reload=true
  • Alt
    Alt Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Probably too late to warn you! I have been paying for the 3* cover for 3 years now. Boiler broke Tue morning. (combination boiler so no hot water tank so no water or heat:eek: ) called them Tue morning @ 10.00 a.m. earliest appointment was Wed afternoon 12.00 to 18.00. was contacted @ 17.05 to tell me that they cannot come.
    I called them to speak to a supervisor as I had wasted half a day. As usual got transferred to india so obviously no supervisor available. promised that they will call me back. no call after 1 hour so called them again (each time waiting on the phone for about 15-20 min) this time got throgh to UK office (scottish guy) was told that their response time is 4 hours and someone will definitely contact me.
    Time now 23.20 and guess what? no call :mad: I'll be lucky to have it sorted before weekend as I doubt they work over weekend. Any one knows what the agreed enguneer call out response time should be??
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    We've had the contract for a number of years and have all kinds of service. some good lots bad . Engineers not turning up all kinds of things but it is peace of mind (if they come).
    today got the end of year renewal contract and it says if you don't call the engineer out you get £18 discount on price. I knew we had called them only once but only got £6 discount. after phoning and got a Glasgow lad who I couldn't understand his accent at first. Anyway he was helpful and said I should have had £12 discount for 1 call out. so another mistake from Br Gas.
    He said he would send out another renewal.
    Just watch them and if you have to call them out keep a note of it.
    Complain if they don't come on time as they have a broken appt compensation scheme.
    I don't think boilers are covered for replacement if totally unrepairable. check your contract.

good luck.
  • Alt
    Alt Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Maisie wrote:
    We've had the contract for a number of years and have all kinds of service. some good lots bad . Engineers not turning up all kinds of things but it is peace of mind (if they come).
    Complain if they don't come on time as they have a broken appt compensation scheme.
    I don't think boilers are covered for replacement if totally unrepairable. check your contract.

good luck.

Thanks.

Boiler only 5 years old. wish I had put the monthly payment into a savings account. would have saved quite a bit and I bet I could have had a faster appointment arranged if I was paying for the repair!:mad:
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Options
    Sooler
    I am shocked to read some of these posts.I thought this was the kind of shoddy work I expected from Heatcall.Surely you got a print off giving the test results?Trading Standards would be pleased.
    Other information shows
    your cust.ref no./ work ref/appliance/gc number/area location/burner pressure/vent results/flue results/appliance sound/combustion performance first
    test/combustion performance last test.

It also states
    'thank you for your valued custom.British Gas is committed to ensuring that your appliances are operating safely and in accordance with current legislation.

It does make you think how quickly they were trained or whether they are on some kind of bonus.

If you feel strongly that this has not been carried out to your satisfaction,contact them.The number for East and South East,based in
    Aylestone Road,Leicester LE2 7QH is 0845 9 500 400.
    Use www.saynoto0870.com (and try the unverifieds section )to find the geographical number hopefully saving you the local call rate.

Unsure if on the first inspection they just fly through it.

Remember you have paid for the service to be done to the correct standards.
    Your gas system may have a problem.Get it checked out and complain.
    https://www.house.co.uk/cgi-bin/house//house/containers/journeyRedirect.jsp?BV_SessionID=HHHH0877888497.1127326725HHHH&BV_EngineID=cccgaddfkgeejfecefecfngdfhidflo.0&_txtJourneyKey=contact_us_filter&contactUsSubject=generic&thirdParty=true&strShowContactCenterNumber=false&txtJourneyStep=0&reload=true

I asked them what the boiler service procedure inspects.This is their email;
    Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your email regarding
    the annual maintenance service.

I confirm the service engineer will carry out the following:

1. Complete a boiler emission test to measure the safety and efficiency of your
    appliance.
    2. Perform basic electrical safety checks.
    3. Check the condition of the appliance and its operation.
    4. Check the condition of the system, including ventilation, flue, pipework,
    radiators, controls and air grilles, where appropriate.
    5. Talk you through a detailed checklist of the work done and leave you with a
    copy.

During the Yearly Safety and Maintenance Inspection, our service engineer will
    use a performance analyser on your boiler. This is a precision instrument that
    enables us to check the efficiency and safe operation of a wide range of gas
    central heating boilers. A low reading indicates that the boiler is working
    effectively, whilst a higher reading indicates that further investigation is
    required and in these circumstances, the engineer would strip down the boiler in
    order to clean and repair as required. The performance tester compliments other
    checks the engineer will make on the boiler and system.

I trust this has answered your enquiry but if you require any further
    assistance, please contact me at engineers@house.co.uk.

Kind regards

Angela Cuffe

house.co.uk - the online home of British Gas

As I mentioned in my earlier post.Complain if you feel you have not had a proper inspection.
  • coolbreezes
    Options
    Oh I always get a good inspection LOl . Seriously have used Scottish gas for years in many homes and they have always been reliable. I have children so when I have called in an emergency situation, have told them that and they have arrived within the hour. Cant ask for more than that. Never ever been without heating for more than a couple of hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure