prices on till not matching price on shelf

Options

Comments

• timnicebutdim_2
    Options
    I guess Section 20 of the Consumer Protection Act is wrong then! :rolleyes:

Quote from Martins article:

The consumer Protection Act 1987 makes it a criminal offence to give you misleading price indications about goods, services, accommodation or facilities. This applies to whatever way the price is being described whether this is through advertising, shelf pricing or verbally over the phone. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/1130776849,15012

Genuine mistakes: fair enough, all TS is going to do is tell them to change it. They'll only prosecute for persistent/blatent offenders, but it still is an offence.
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    uktim29 wrote: »
    Rubbish, 50% of the time you'll be charged cheaper.

Evidence?

(And please don't say "the law of averages" :rotfl: )
    By the way, if corrected incorrect prices aren't illegal.

Huh? That's a nonsensical statement. If the price was corrected it wouldn't be incorrect! :rotfl: That's like saying "if a car with bald tyres doesn't have bald tyres it's not illegal".
    Even of Trading standards websites they say they are highly unlkiely to take any action about incorrect shelf edge labels.

Evidence?

And please don't quote the Trading Standards officer who once told you he feels sorry for shops and doesn't believe in prosecuting them for incorrect prices.

Give us the link to the Trading Standards websites which say "they are highly unlkiely to take any action about incorrect shelf edge labels".
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure if you tell us your location of work we could all follow you around all day spotting mistakes you've made then see how you like that.

You seem to have quiet a robotic mentality.

whats that got to do with the price of fish, at the end of the day i was right, the email i got as good as said it and Trading Standards are going to investigate.;) Period.
    :footie:
  • RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the point is whether there is a deliberate attempt to mislead with shelf pricing, or whether there is a reasonable explanation for why the price/s are incorrect e.g the prices had changed that morning and the staff were still in the process up updating them. In this case, Trading Standards could investigate to see which is the case, and I am guessing that most of the time it is the latter and hence no action is taken.

With many shops opening 24 hours and trying to keep their prices low in the current climate of rising grocery bills, I would be very surprised if the job of changing over all the price stickers is high on their list of priorities. It's all very well to complain about the mis-pricing, but you have to consider what you would sacrifice for the problem to be rectified - would you mind having no trollies, only three tills open, nothing on the shelves, spillages remaining uncleared from the aisles in exchange for correct pricing?

Tesco have succeeded by cutting back on 'non-essential' tasks and passing the savings on to the customer - if enough people were complaining about the pricing, I am sure they would consider it a bigger deal, but at the moment I would guess that they are more concerned by trying to keep the actual prices to a minimum. I dare say that mis-pricings are less common in the more expensive stores such as Waitrose as you pay for the service in the higher cost of the food, but Tesco focus on low food prices, which means something has to give.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    tighter new laws to protect customers from being mislead and ripped off also pressured into buying things like having a salesman refuse to leave your home till you have signed on the dotted line, have come into force from 26 May.
    :footie:
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's happened to me twice,that i know of,both times i politely brought it to their attention (I usually go back and fetch the shelf edge ticket and show it to the cashier).Both times I got an apology (I wouldn't have cared if they hadn't apologised,as long as I get to buy it at the advertised price.)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    RadoJo wrote: »
    It's all very well to complain about the mis-pricing, but you have to consider what you would sacrifice for the problem to be rectified - would you mind having no trollies, only three tills open, nothing on the shelves, spillages remaining uncleared from the aisles in exchange for correct pricing?
    I would choose to sacrifice some of the supermarket's profits for this to be rectified.

Mistakes are always going to happen, but they are going to happen more often when the supermarket is cutting back in order to make more profit. Why should we pay extra (and I see no evidence that it happens in reverse 50% of the time) for them cutting back?
    If there is a mistake they should do _more_ than offer the goods at the advertised price. I agree with a double the difference refund policy. The point is that some customers won't notice and the shop will get away with charging the higher price. So the shop should pay out more for the customers who do notice to balance things out a bit.
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    red_devil wrote: »
    whats that got to do with the price of fish, at the end of the day i was right, the email i got as good as said it and Trading Standards are going to investigate.;) Period.

As far as the price of fish is concerned you didn't answer my question!
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    As far as the price of fish is concerned you didn't answer my question!

And you didn't answer my questions (post #23). You always duck out when you're pushed for evidence.
  • helloecho
    helloecho Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    This happens to me quite frequently in Boots (always with drinks, bizarrely) and on the one occassion I did actually bother to point it out, the cashier went and removed all the signs before sorting out my refund, by which point I was late back to work and had to leave without it. I don't even bother any more, and it's happened a few times since.

I don't think it's a conspiracy and I don't blame the sales assistants, but I do think that if a shop is so over-stretched that they don't have time to allow staff to remove old shelf labels, they should perhaps *gasp* delve into their profits and employ an additional member of staff?! But they obviously don't bother to do that because they don't really lose out from it anyway.
    By replying to this post you are agreeing to my Terms and Conditions which state that I am correct
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure