PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

General Building Contract

Options
Hi, we are renovating a 5 bed house and have done all the prelims and chosen 3 possible buiders. The works are just shy of £30k so need a contract.

We would be grateful if anyone has any advice on or even better examples of any general building contracts or where to get one. Also any advice on the staging of payments would be appreciated, the works are scheduled to take between 6 and 8 weeks.

Many thanks for any assistance

Comments

• PRINCESSKERRY
    Options
    I would be interested in some information regarding this too.
    I have seen a house we are really interested in and am thinking of holding back some of my deposit to add an extension as soon as we move in.
    I know that builders wont come around to give a quote until the house is bought but am hoping that friends in the trade can give me a rough idea of cost to factor into my calculations. Any more info would be appreciated?
    Competition wins - 09/03 - £500 ELC Vouchers 11/04 - Lush Goodies 21/04 - Gillette Fusion Gift Pack 22/05 - Mirrors DVD 29/05 - Return Flights to London & £500 29/05 - £50 Homebase Gift Vouchers 20/09 - Remote Control Helicopter 28/09 - £225 Bingo Win 05/10 £25 Photobox Vouchers 16/09 £90 Cash 30/11 £29 Cash 03/01 £20 03/04 Fifa Football :T
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    if you are going to write your own - make sure it is accompanied by an EXACT specification of works - (even down to how many coats of paint and what colours) that is where most contracts end in disaster - because the client tries to change their mind part way thru the works.

try 3 staged payments and dont pay the final one till a short period (1-2 months) after completion so that you can do full and detailed snaggings investigation after they have left site - if you pay them before then - you will never get them back to complete the snaggings.

have regular site meetings - weekly - and agree in writing any additional works which are agreed as you go along and the cost.
  • PJB
    PJB Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These can vary greatly i understand, depending on no of factors and they are subject to the dreaded planning permission. You need a GOOD architect. Before you buy you can check if neighbours or similar props nearby have them, how much they cost them (if you can find out from them, also recommendations for arch's, builders etc) and how much value it will add (if you are not keeping prop long term). Estate agents can be helpful in assessing this, but you must find one you trust.

Remember its a buyers market at the moment!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning: Building contract forms are available for free download from the FMB .

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • nutmegman
    nutmegman Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning: Building contract forms are available for free download from the FMB .

HTH

Canucklehead

unless you understand construction law be carefull, JCT Minor Works is the way to go
    :beer:
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    nutmegman wrote: »
    unless you understand construction law be carefull, JCT Minor Works is the way to go

Good morning: As the the JCT minor works contract is not available for viewing online, for future reference, could you you highlight the differences between it and the sample contract on the FMB site?

Thanks.

Canucklehead
  • nutmegman
    Options
    PJB wrote: »

have done all the prelims

Also any advice on the staging of payments would be appreciated, the works are scheduled to take between 6 and 8 weeks.

Can you tell me what your definition of prelims is please?

As for payment I would always advise paying for actual progress only, ensure you take title to materials when you pay for them, but only pay when they have been incorporated into the permanent works. Do it this way and if you word your contract correctly the builder will risk of loss for materials until they have been incorporated into the permanent works.
  • nutmegman
    Options
    clutton wrote: »

try 3 staged payments and dont pay the final one till a short period (1-2 months) after completion so that you can do full and detailed snaggings investigation after they have left site - if you pay them before then - you will never get them back to complete the snaggings.

NO NO NO, pay on progress for acutal works done, just agree a freqency of payment applications....hold back 5% of every invoice and do not give this back to the builder until the end of the Defects Liability Period.

Please any more specific questions.....
  • nutmegman
    Options
    Good morning: As the the JCT minor works contract is not available for viewing online, for future reference, could you you highlight the differences between it and the sample contract on the FMB site?

Thanks.

Canucklehead

THE JCT Minor works is a proven model form, the wording has been drafted a by JCT and is fair and reasonable to both parties.....

But you must understand contract law as your actions have the potential so spoil a good contract meerly by you conduct and lack of understand of statute & case law...........
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    nutmegman wrote: »
    THE JCT Minor works is a proven model form, the wording has been drafted a by JCT and is fair and reasonable to both parties.....

But you must understand contract law as your actions have the potential so spoil a good contract meerly by you conduct and lack of understand of statute & case law...........

Good afternoon: Are you suggesting the sample contract on the FMB site isn't 'fair and reasonable to both parties' ? I don't follow what you are trying to say in your second paragraph:confused: Perhaps one of MSE's resident solicitors could give the OP the heads up on building works contracts . Let us know how you get on, PJB, as there have been many examples of building works gone wrong on MSE eg. dirtyepic's thread :eek:

Canucklehead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure