PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Cake

Comments

• GIRLPOWER wrote:
    Thought I had read.. think in the delia christmas cook book that we should make it on stir up sunday??? Any one know when that is??? or this could have been for the christmas puddin :confused:
    I think that's for the pudding when people used to put sixpences in and everyone had a stir. I don't know when it is though.
  • Best way to do it <hic> :D

Oooh, beat me to it CQ.

I would into the realms of HM Christmas cake, however, we don't really eat it and my mum always gets given a beautiful HM cake, so she can always provide it :D The man who makes the cakes and mince pies is almost blind and whilst they taste sublime, the Xmas decorations make you laugh - bless him, with plastic robins stuck in the icing by their beaks or tails :D How he manages it is beyond me, but he's provided the best Xmas goodies for years now :D
  • GIRLPOWER wrote:
    Thought I had read.. think in the delia christmas cook book that we should make it on stir up sunday??? Any one know when that is??? or this could have been for the christmas puddin :confused:

Stir up Sunday is traditionally the Sunday before Advent - so by my calculations that will be 29th November (but I think it is for Christmas Puddings and you can make your cake when you like!)

I normally make my cake in the October half term, however I'm not making one this year as we are flying off to the Dominican Republic for Christmas this year!!

I'm so traditional I'm finding it hard not to get into all the preparation this year!! Mustn't moan though - as I'll be sat on a beach on Christmas morning with the sun beaming down and a cocktail in my hand!! :rotfl:
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for reminding me - I'll have to get some brandy and the rest of the ingrediants so I can do this next weekend. I use a recipe my mum got from a local paper years ago and its a big hit. Mind you I think the leaving the fruit to soak in brandy for upto a week sometimes might make the difference:D Will have to get my Asda Christmas Savers card out to pay for some of the stuff ASAP - I want the fruit in to soak for as long as possible since we'll be at IL's for Xmas day this year so the more potent the better ;) :rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • What does "feeding" a Christmas cake mean.??? It normally feeds me. :confused:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Once made you keep it in an airtight tin. About once a week thereafter you turn it upside down and pour a wee tot of brandy or whisky or sherry into the bottom.

That's feeding it :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky wrote:
    Once made you keep it in an airtight tin. About once a week thereafter you turn it upside down and pour a wee tot of brandy or whisky or sherry into the bottom.

Oh right, I never knew that. 1a_y_shock1.gif
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sometimes shop bought ones will say something like "basted with sherry" - but in comparison to home made cakes I think they just showed it the bottle :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky wrote:

I tend to skewer it about ten times and carefully fill up the holes! Mind you if your mum makes it at Easter that would be an awful lot of alcohol! :beer: :j
  • billieboy wrote:
    I tend to skewer it about ten times and carefully fill up the holes! Mind you if your mum makes it at Easter that would be an awful lot of alcohol! :beer: :j

That's how I do it too, and it get's fed a fair few times before xmas too! :D :j

Just added what I need to my Tesco shopping list ready for my next order otherwise knowing me I'll forget :rolleyes:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure